ITALY-USA game best so FAR!

Posted by: riccardo

ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 18 Jun 06 20:56

Well at least it was shaping up like that in the first half. It was by far the most intense, emotionally charged game/half so far and the scrappy Americans clearly outplayed the Italians. BUT THEN... the idiotic Uruguayan official decided he would make some headlines for himself....
For a better commentary check this local Blogger's insightful recap http://JSXinsider.blogspot.com , and someone please tell me where he got the photo of that HOT Italian chick...

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 18 Jun 06 20:58

by the way, I'll be down on Jaksa watching the Brazil - Australia game, likely at Romance. Anybody else coming out to watch?
Posted by: KuKuKaChuModerator

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 18 Jun 06 21:15

Quote:
Originally posted by riccardo:
by the way, I'll be down on Jaksa watching the Brazil - Australia game, likely at Romance. Anybody else coming out to watch?
i'm not in town at the moment, or i'd certainly be there ... aussie! aussie! aussie! .... oi! oi! oi! wink

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 18 Jun 06 21:19

Quote:
Well at least it was shaping up like that in the first half. It was by far the most intense, emotionally charged game/half so far and the scrappy Americans clearly outplayed the Italians. BUT THEN... the idiotic Uruguayan official decided he would make some headlines for himself....
this is the thing about soccer (aka "football") that i hate the most. it's so low scoring that luck plays far too big a factor in the final result. one dumb umpiring decision can completely turn a game around, something that can't happen in games like rugby, oz rules, cricket, etc.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 18 Jun 06 21:28

Lemme guess, Solo? by the way Bapak Semar, those pics I sent you by email, I was trying to put them up on a thread in the Jl Jaksa section, but to no avail. My mate Warren, who has that blog mentioned above, JSXinsider.blogspot.com, told he'd put a few of them up for me on his site later today.
Posted by: juminten

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 18 Jun 06 23:17

Hey...how dare you called my US team crappy!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 19 Jun 06 01:14

Brazilian bikinis just made a score! very frustrating watching the kangaroos! frown

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 19 Jun 06 02:11

I hate the fact that australia lost! now beach time..!

btw..the korea red-devils fans are having a huge party in LA (korea town) rock band and a giant tv screen at the park to support their team!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 19 Jun 06 03:05

Wallet, the usa isn't "crappy", I said "scrappy", meaning they are a bit less talented than Italy, but fight harder, literally "to scrap" for everything they can get. In most sporting circles it's considered a compliment to be the tough and scrappy overachiever.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 19 Jun 06 03:50

ohh..I misread again! I need my contact lenses! or chatting and *yawning* is not good huh! smile
Posted by: Magpie

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 19 Jun 06 04:38

Best game so far....Argentina vs Serbia-Montenegro, always was going to be an Argies win, but the sheer class of this team was soooooo apparent. Feel's even better for me since I have been crowing on about them! Team to watch.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 19 Jun 06 05:31

My bro! *smoochez*

korea red devils was amazing! btw..I watched the entire game! I couldn't find any single hot dude on france team laugh very boring looks!
Posted by: cherry

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 19 Jun 06 13:07

Quote:
Originally posted by KuKuKaChu:
Quote:
i'm not in town at the moment, or i'd certainly be there ... aussie! aussie! aussie! .... oi! oi! oi! wink
oh poor you kuku, aussie lost 2-0 from brazil smile
Posted by: Polar Bear

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 19 Jun 06 13:21

I am not an Australia Supporter, however, I have to admit they have done OK so far. Given Croatia and Japan haven’t scored a single point, Brazil and Australia should go through to round two.

The first round always produces some fluky results, but Australia have proved consistent.

Losing against Brazil is like losing on points to Mike Tyson. You do OK to come off the pitch still breathing.

Korean might be the dark horse. They won’t win, but they might scare a lot of teams as the go down fighting.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 19 Jun 06 13:26

Quote:
Originally posted by wallet-digga':
I hate the fact that australia lost! now beach time..!

btw..the korea red-devils fans are having a huge party in LA (korea town) rock band and a giant tv screen at the park to support their team!
Same in Sydney. About 5000 Koreans in red shirts, all the girls wearing flashing devil horns, gathered around giant TV screens waving flags.

Sadly, last week one Korean guy climbed a street sign to tie a flag on it, and fell onto the road.

Miss Chubby told me last night he had died in hospital. frown

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 01:04

I need to give Brian McBride hugs and cuddles, and will kick De Rossi's ugly ass! for hurting Brian's handsome face!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 01:05

my USA is done! its ok boys...we still love you, i still love you!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 21:09

Well Wallet, the USA boys did not really do enough to warrant advancement. I really wanted them to go through as well, 4 of the national team members are from my university (UCLA)...

I think it Coach Bruce Arena's fault. What was this new conservative strategy?? Totally backfired. Maybe he has gotten old and needs to be replaced soon! The USA really needs to drop the patriotism BS, shell out some serious $$$ and hire a European Coach with serious credentials, a la, Guus Hiidink. He took the Koreans to the final 4 last time and has the Aussies in the second round now!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 22:52

thats true! also USA needs more pay attention to "soccer" instead of boring "baseball" game! I think Bruce is GONE!

You went to UCLA?? great school! sorry you guys blended like protein shake by USC last time (football). Well, I was supporting UCLA so, I was sad too.

I went to SDSU in San Diego....I'd love to go back live there someday. Beutiful city! great people...great "CHARGERS" team! and good looking sexy players :p

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 23:01

>>>>"We don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows..."

Yes we do honey!
Posted by: Dilli

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 23:08

hey WD, Went to the Gym tonight!

Caught Kuku working out. Looks like he is taking your advice!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 23:13

morning oildude! why are you at home on sat nite?
went to the gym? ...wah..kemajuan niye..!

damn! kuku really got a strong muscle ay! laugh wish i could see it from the front! kuku turn around facing me please?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 23:33

He's been taking Tongkat Ali! And yes, I am still (sort of) working!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 23:36

me too, i'm off to work for a few hours finishing some stuff i left yesterday...bugger! i hate working on weekend.

then will hit the gym working on my ass!
happy weekend oildude! dont work too hard..go out with a hot babe..go go!
Posted by: Lulu

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 23:40

what hot babe? all the hot babes get occupied tonight include the pastel girls! Just go find sheep out there Dilli! LOL!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 24 Jun 06 23:48

Ah, i see...you get one already. Have fun Dilli!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 25 Jun 06 08:31

Quote:

damn! kuku really got a strong muscle ay! laugh wish i could see it from the front! kuku turn around facing me please?
I think you should turn around as well WD!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 25 Jun 06 08:56

Funny, ENGLAND are still in there....... Depsite the predictions smile

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 25 Jun 06 09:53

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
Caught Kuku working out. Looks like he is taking your advice!

yeah, it's this magic whey powder that does it. to service all my women, every little bit helps.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 25 Jun 06 10:38

you got hot ass kuku! ...hmmmm *yum*

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 25 Jun 06 10:39

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
Quote:

I think you should turn around as well WD!

woooo..! nice ass isnt it! laugh

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 25 Jun 06 11:04

Quote:
you better believe it, baby! that ass is pure 100% whey powder.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 25 Jun 06 21:54

ough! what I must talk here, hu?
frown confused mad

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 25 Jun 06 23:39

Quote:
Quote:
you better believe it, baby! that ass is pure 100% whey powder.
i do honey! whey powder is real magic! smile

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 25 Jun 06 23:40

talk whatever you like cherry! good morning to you..

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 25 Jun 06 23:42

back to watch soccer! go UK...go UK..!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 00:23

Ohhh..Beckham! he just made a score for UK! thats why he is the best kicker in the world! not to mention the hottest, coolest athlete on earth! lucky posh! she is ugly!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 04:07

Quote:
Ohhh..Beckham! he just made a score for UK! thats why he is the best kicker in the world! not to mention the hottest, coolest athlete on earth! lucky posh! she is ugly!
Morning sweetness, how are you?
Hugs and stuff.......England were crap again, by the way. wink

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 04:30

England aren't improving fast enough
The second round performance suggests there's too much wrong to expect further progress.

England make it through, but it's hard to avoid the feeling's certainly that the glass is half empty. We wanted - let's be honest, here - a performance to offer hope for the next game, which is likely to be against a Decent Side. We got one that just posed more questions.

Yes, there were certainly more bright spots than in previous games. The obvious one is that David Beckham can do nothing for most of a match, and still pop up to score with a brilliant set piece. And then throw up, granted, which maybe says something bad about the nerves in the England camp.

More happy news: Wayne Rooney's recovery continues, and despite not being played in his strongest position - off another striker - he still managed to look England's most creative, dangerous force.

Finally, Ashley Cole's dash and tackle in the 12th minute, to deflect Carlos Tenorio's shot onto the bar, was as fine a piece of defending as you're going to see this World Cup.

But one bright performance and a couple of individual moments of brilliance do not a World Cup-winning side make. Or - and sorry to be on a downer here - do they even do they qualify as much of a recovery from three pretty tepid group performances.

England are improving, but slowly, only doing only just enough to overcome their opponents. Eventually you've got to be worried that the improvement in performance will be outstripped by the improvement in opposition. Portugal or Holland will provide far tougher examinations than the disappointing Delgado and co.

For all the good points, there are corresponding worries. So Ashley Cole did well - but England's centre halves seem to be taking it in turns to make potentially disastrous errors. Let's not talk about Paul Robinson flopping around the goalmouth. And Rooney, for all his energy, looked isolated without a fellow forward to support him.

And the midfield? Oh, the midfield. There was a little good news - Michael Carrick came in to do a reasonable job in the now near-mystical position of holding midfielder, and Steven Gerrard did a steady if unspectacular job in front of him, using the ball well. But Joe Cole was hardly spotted, and Frank Lampard's was an abject show.

There must now - surely - be a question mark over the Chelsea player's starting place. He and Gerrard sit at the heart of the side; this should be the part of the side that offers up the prompts and the rhythm that carry England forward. Instead, it's a symphony of bum notes.

Lampard, in current form, fails with even straightforward passes, and his shooting is so consistently bad it's hard to imagine this was a player being feted only earlier this season for a remarkable tally of goals from midfield for Chelsea. He should have netted one today - after some brilliant trickery by Rooney coming off the wing - but his high, wide blast seemed almost inevitable as he ran on to the ball.

Positionally, he also seems at sea - too often when the opposition play a loose ball into midfield, where you expect to see a white shirt come into shot and collect, it's Lampard the man who's missing, ten yards too far ahead and failing to make it back.

There has to be a case now for dropping Lampard - but not to return to 4-4-2. Another small bright spot was that this England side looked a little more comfortable, especially early on, in its 4-5-1 arrangement.

Sven could take the opportunity to drop Lampard, move Beckham into the middle and promote the exciting Aaron Lennon for a surprise start. Lennon's pace and trickery - he glowed even in the few minutes he was on the park this afternoon - as well as the genuine width he'd offer on the right might help temper the attacking flair of England's opponents, whoever they might be.

It might also offer the inspirational spark that, so far, only one man - you know who - has looked capable of consistently delivering for England.
Comments

blogs.guardian.co.uk/worldcup06 > Neil McIntosh

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 04:35

For futher reading...
http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/matchreport/0,,1805763,00.html

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 04:49

Ok, my official opinion on the World Cup as it currently stands.

First of all England are through as you can see and will now play the winner of the Holland - Portugal game, which Portugal are currently winning 1-0 at half time, both teams having 1 player sent off.

Argentina pulled off a wonderful goal to beat Mexico in their game yesterday 2-1. They go on to play Germany, after Germany beat Sweden 2-0, with the Germans looking very authorative throughout the whole match.

I think England will not get past the next round. I believe that Portugal will go on to win this game, (Portugal are now down to 9 men I have just been informed). Portugal have the ability to score several goals a game, and although they are not as on song as they have been in the past (they are currently time wasting by chucking themselves on the ground a lot)they will be the sternest test England have had so far, and one I believe will leave them wanting.

The Germany vs Argie game should be a cracker, both teams have shown they have the ability to score, Germany looked very comfortable against Sweden yesterday, taking heaps of opportunities to smash at the goal from all over the park. Michael Ballack spent the whole game practasing his long shots, and how he didnt score I really dont know, although this may pay off heaps in the next match. Arentina are a class side, and stepped up again yesterday, when it counted, against a team that knows them well and has always been competitive when playing them. I am hoping this to be a high scoring game, but we will see.

Am still going for the Argies to win the Wolrd Cup, but Germany do have the ability to beat them......fingers crossed

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 04:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie:
Quote:
Morning sweetness, how are you?
Hugs and stuff.......England were crap again, by the way. wink
Hey honey *hugs* miss you silly! how was your wekend? were you busy entertained your friends thats why you forgot about me? kiddin' honey...
I'm at home now, will do work out soon after cleaning the house. Watching Belanda vs Portugal now..
yes, UK were crappy this morning.

Ohhh..kesian Belanda! frown

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 04:58

Babe, be back soon, got to do a little errant for my wife..be about 30 minutes

Love and hugs and stuff!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 07:18

hey you back already!
i just got home too. went out to the beach,.. did roller blade for an hour....gosh! i'm so beat! brb...need my protein shake!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 07:35

Not too much exercise please, you will wear those sexy legs of yours out, and then what am I going to look at? smile

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 07:52

i have to honey, i look so skinny now, all people around me wondered whats wrong with me! I went to the gym last night and all people asked me..hey bali babe, wuzzup gurl..you lost weight a lot! whats cookin'..."!
I want to go back to size 2 fast!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 08:00

Quote:
i have to honey, i look so skinny now, all people around me wondered whats wrong with me! I went to the gym last night and all people asked me..hey bali babe, wuzzup gurl..you lost weight a lot! whats cookin'..."!
I want to go back to size 2 fast!
I can offer you some alternative weight gain exercises....you eat heaps of pies...and I eat yours! laugh shocked wink

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 08:03

So England are through to the next round, despite the doubters.. A scrappy game with a few flashes of brilliance….

Beckham proved that he still has it, and some of the younger England players started to settle down.

We are still on track…..

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 08:06

Quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Polar Bear:
So England are through to the next round, despite the doubters.. A scrappy game with a few flashes of brilliance….

Beckham proved that he still has it, and some of the younger England players started to settle down.

We are still on track…..
hahahahaha, laugh laugh

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 08:06

yep PB, as I said, Beckham is still growing on me :p

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 08:15

Remember these guys are playing a 4 1 4 1 formation that they don’t play in their normal working games, and they are struggling with the heat. They are still settling down, and this was beginning to happen last night.

You know, they are playing a technical game much like the World Cup Rugby 2003 with Johnnie Wilkinson.

Beckham is the Wilkinson of football. Yes most of the time he is a waste of time on the pitch. But if he gets the ball and he is anywhere near the goal he can pop it in. This is what football is about. Forget the flash grandstanding, the fancy footwork, the hands of God etc. Its about popping balls into goals. Beckham is still one of the best at doing that.

Games, and indeed the Cup itself, are determined by goals, not upon how good the play looks.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 08:20

Quote:
Remember these guys are playing a 4 1 4 1 formation that they don’t play in their normal working games, and they are struggling with the heat. They are still settling down, and this was beginning to happen last night.

You know, they are playing a technical game much like the World Cup Rugby 2003 with Johnnie Wilkinson.

Beckham is the Wilkinson of football. Yes most of the time he is a waste of time on the pitch. But if he gets the ball and he is anywhere near the goal he can pop it in. This is what football is about. Forget the flash grandstanding, the fancy footwork, the hands of God etc. Its about popping balls into goals. Beckham is still one of the best at doing that.

Games, and indeed the Cup itself, are determined by goals, not upon how good the play looks.
Fair enough, but Brazil have 5 players in their team that are better at set-pieces than Beckham.Argentina have 5 or 6. Germany has 2 or 3. Spain has 4 or 5. I wish I could change my bet now, because there is a good chance England will beat Portugal, due to the amount of yellow cards, Ronaldo may not be able to play... basically their is a possiblity that it is a Portugese "B" side that plays England. But I still think they will have a good go at it. They may get to the semi's but lets have a look at who else will be in the semi's.....lots of teams that are a lot more gelled, a lot more experienced and have more than 3 players that can score goals....errr by the way, what the fuck was Lampard upto today??

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 08:41

Good question re Lampard. He just doesn’t seem to move up on time, and missed a couple of easy shots.

I must admit I would drop this 4 1 4 1 formation, Rooney never looks OK on his own, and needs support.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 12:36

PB..are you busy honey?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 12:41

huuuu...I love Joce Lee from England

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 14:04

Quote:
PB..are you busy honey?
Allways have time for you darling.....

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 15:47

Quote:
The Germany vs Argie game should be a cracker, both teams have shown they have the ability to score
100% with you there Magpie. I think it will be the best game of this cup, and it is a pity it is so early, since one or the other team will go down. But they will fight for it.

I will watch this one for sure.....
Posted by: Clift N. Anthony

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 18:54

Soccer, shocker, walker, hawker, Fokker, who cares about that useless twaddle. Better to let me entertain everyone in the stadium my singing

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 19:07

whats your game Clit?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 19:18

wAS THAT A TOPOGRAFICAL ERROR WITH MY NAME, i'M A SINGER, AN INTERNATIONAL SINGING SENSATION

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 19:22

are you the half-time entertainment?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 19:40

DON'T PATRONISE ME KUKU KAKA KKK, IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU
Posted by: Ena

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 19:48

What do you sing Clift?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 19:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Clift N. Anthony:
DON'T PATRONISE ME KUKU KAKA KKK, IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU
sorry clift. i know what's good for me. i'll shut up. i don't even know what i'm doing here.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 19:52

Hopefully "far away" smile

just tugging your chain Clit.

So who do you think will win the WC? (World Cup, not the local shithouse)

I think Australia are going to get hammered by Italy....

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 19:56

Quote:
I think Australia are going to get hammered by Italy....
not if certain punters have anything to do with it ... bribe the italian keeper to "miss" a few vital catches, and a key striker to be "out of form" on the night, and hey presto! australia wins!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 20:01

Your not infering corruption are you???

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 20:04

corruption? nah. the italians would not know the meaning of the word.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 20:07

"VOLARE" is my biggest selling hit my dear beautiful Ena, I'll saranade you if you come to my club. See now we finally got some classy people here.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 20:16

And i'm still hoping your making topografical erors with my name, don't leave the F out
My momma is sicilian-brooklyn and she'd eat you for lunch if she heard such language polar bear.
Posted by: Ena

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 20:27

Polar Bear Gnocchi-hand rolled!
but you may mean typographical clift-or maybe you dont hmmm?
Anyhow I love being serenaded-can you dance sexy too?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 20:42

Dance, prance, lance I's do it all, I was teaching that knucklehead Rickkkkardo how to do poetry, but I think he aint smart enough for it.
topografical typographical tropical it all means bad spelling and my name has a F in it.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 20:45

The uking letter after E and beore G is missing rom my keyboard.

Sorry about that Clunt smile
Posted by: D'ruby

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 20:47

*smooch* PB smile

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 20:55

sooooooper Smooooooooooooch

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 20:59

ABCDEFG, Well ho, ho, ho
I bet you think i'm gone fall for that one.... not this time, you have to be more smart to get one past ole Clift N now

hoo hoo how, dee dee duh
I got the wings of your love
I got the wings of a dove
and many of the things above.

You see I got it gone on, when I sing that one at the tropicana they all give me a standing ovation.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 21:11

Ada pengamen nih... smile

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 21:19

Its good Clint, really good. Can I try?

hoo hoo how, dee dee duh
I got a pain in my groin
I had it since I was born
I guess it’s the size of my sausage smile

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 21:25

Now whose this sensual little chikadee that my singing attracted and a very good day to you my sweet dear Ruby

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 21:33

All youz is good peoples, but i do need to go eat my rigatoni or my dear ole auntie Antonia will tear my eyeballs out. I will have my neffew -- the computer neerd of the familie -- help me get on here again later. He says it will help my singing carreer go on again. I used to sing with Wayne Newton, but he rode my coat tails to the top.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 22:00

hey clift, can u make a song for me?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 22:05

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
you've got no chance, while the Big Game is on ... smile

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 22:18

Verse one:

You make my sausage so long
You make my testicals strong
I want to hump you all night
Please take heed of my plight

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 22:27

My hump, my hump, my lovely little lumps.. smile

They say I'm really sexy,
The boys they wanna sex me.
They always standing next to me,
Always dancing next to me,
Tryin' a feel my hump, hump.
Lookin' at my lump, lump.
U can look but you can't touch it,
If you touch it I'ma start some drama,
You don't want no drama,
No, no drama, no, no, no, no drama
So don't pull on my hand boy,
You ain't my man, boy,
I'm just tryn'a dance boy,
And move my hump

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 22:34

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
you've got no chance, while the Big Game is on ... smile
I know frown

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 22:37

Bollocks to Australia, who will go down 2 0 to Italy.

Ruby, come sit on my knee.

In fact whip the dress off and sit on my face, I am feeling horny. The sight of Clunts hairy nostril has reminded me of Hairy Mary behind the school bike sheds.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 23:20

Damn..i missed that "kumis" dude!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 23:24

What kumis? Morning babe! *smoochez*

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 23:25

ENGURLUND ENGURLUND ENGURLUND

God, makes you want to smash up th local chip shop and pee in the hot fat.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 23:31

Morning babe! still awake? *smoochez*!
thst "kumis" clift singer dude!

PB also still awake? *XOXOXOX*

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 26 Jun 06 23:32

UK..UK..! smile

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 02:30

Ok You people wanta song, this is just for you my sexy chikadees

Whoop dee doo
hi dee hoo
look at you
realy sexy too

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 04:24

Quote:
And i'm still hoping your making topografical erors with my name, don't leave the F out
My momma is sicilian-brooklyn and she'd eat you for lunch if she heard such language polar bear.
Is anyone bored of this Andy Kaufman joke yet?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 06:40

Rob Smyth
Monday June 26, 2006

Last night it seemed as if England would be taking on a Portugal reserve side in the World Cup quarter-final next Saturday. But one by one, like heads in Marty McFly's photo in Back To The Future, the big guns who had been erased are reappearing on Portugal's teamsheet.
This morning Luis Figo was all but cleared to play against England, and now it seems that Cristiano Ronaldo and Deco will take to the field in Gelsenkirchen next Saturday.

Ronaldo limped out of Portugal's 1-0 victory over Holland with a thigh injury after a nasty challenge from Khalid Bouhlarouz, while Deco was sent off for two yellow cards. But Ronaldo could return to light training on Wednesday, and the Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari hopes the Portuguese Football Federation can successfully appeal Deco's one-match ban.
Deco's first yellow card, for a ridiculous hack at Johnny Heitinga, possibly warranted a red card on its own, but the circumstances of the offence - play had been stopped due to an injury with Portugal in possession, but when play restarted Holland launched an attack - has given Scolari hope of an appeal. "The Federation could send a letter to Fifa because of the first yellow card," said Scolari. "The ball was ours, we had possession, but the Dutch player was told by his coach to continue playing. There should be fair-play guidelines from Fifa; the time has come for Fifa to think about this."

If that seems like a flight of fancy, the return of Ronaldo is much more likely. "Ronaldo has just had a scan; he's got muscular swelling in his thigh and we hope that it will ease," said the Portugal team doctor Henrique Jones. "He's having medication and he will have two daily treatments. He could begin to run on Wednesday and train on Thursday or Friday with more intensity. We are hopeful that he will recover."

Ronaldo could resume his duel with Ashley Cole, whom he left with twisted blood at the end of a glorious individual contest in the quarter-final of Euro 2004, in which both players were at the peak of their powers. Or, more probably, he could take up a position on the left and go at one of England's makeshift right-backs - Owen Hargreaves and Jamie Carragher - or Manchester United team-mate Gary Neville, who, if he recovers in time, will be sorely lacking match practice.

Either way, given Ronaldo's love of the big stage, it is a frightening prospect for England. With the suspended Costinha replaced by the equally solid Armando Petit and Deco, if his suspension stands, covered fairly capably by the excellent Tiago, Portugal's side looks nowhere near as weak as had first been hoped.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1806420,00.html

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 06:43

England should pull it off OK. We are talking Portugal..

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 06:45

Finally Beckham said what I had been saying for a while...........(can always rely on this muppet to point out the obvious to the press)

Speaking after the game a pale-looking Beckham said that teasing from Rooney had focused his mind on the free-kick. "Wazza said to me before the game that my free-kicks had been poor, and that's why we were laughing after I scored. I have been awful recently. I have not scored one for a long time and I haven't got many this season.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1805927,00.html

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 06:47

Sven went on to state later to the press how Beckham is world class, but I am not listening to that pillock because he thinks he is a good manager, Michael Owen could last the world cup, England are going to win it, and the English supporters love him.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 06:48

Quote:
England should pull it off OK. We are talking Portugal..
We will be praying history is not on their side then PB.....

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 08:38

Quote:
Quote:
Is anyone bored of this Andy Kaufman joke yet?
who's andy kaufman?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 08:48

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Kaufman
http://andykaufman.jvlnet.com/

The Wikipediua link has a little information about Tony Clifton

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 08:50

"Tony Clifton"

Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman as Tony Clifton in Man on the MoonKaufman's second most well known character is Tony Clifton, the abusive lounge singer. Clifton began "opening" for Kaufman at comedy clubs and eventually even performed concerts on his own around the country. Sometimes it was Kaufman performing as Clifton, sometimes it was his brother Michael or his friend Bob Zmuda. For a brief time, it was unclear to some that Clifton was not a real person. News programs actually interviewed Clifton as Kaufman's opening act. The interviews would usually turn ugly whenever Kaufman's name came up, because Clifton would claim that Kaufman was using him to get rich.

Clifton was, at Kaufman's insistence, hired for a guest role on Taxi, but after throwing a tantrum on stage, had to be escorted off of the ABC studio's lot by security guards. Much to Kaufman's delight, this incident was reported in the local newspapers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Kaufman#.22Tony_Clifton.22
Posted by: Jokie Jokie Girl

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 15:42

Anthony, kamu mah bukan seperti penyanyi , tapi lebih buronan wink

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 18:09

I think Clit is closely related to Isaac Hunt.
Posted by: branmac

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 27 Jun 06 18:37

I think he is the fugtive from real life. Isaac had a brother with the name Mike Hunt. Think that is Clit's real name.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 29 Jun 06 05:38

Portugal promise to keep it clean

Scolari's men identify set-pieces as England's main threat

Staff and agencies
Wednesday June 28, 2006

Portugal are working on tidying up their game ahead of Saturday's World Cup quarter-final against England in Gelsenkirchen in order to avoid conceding free kicks, defender Nuno Valente insisted today.
"Their strengths are in crossing, free kicks and corners," explained the Everton defedner today. "We have to try to prevent these from happening. We must pay attention to this."

England have been lambasted for their lacklustre performances so far, but Valente said that was no reason for Luiz Felipe Scolari's men to relax.

"Their football is not always beautiful but it is effective," he said.
"We will approach this game as we have done all the others. But we will have to be cautious against England because they are a very dangerous team with a lot of experience. We always have to be attentive."

Striker Pauleta said the exit of much-fancied Spain at the hands of France was a timely reminder that even though Portugal may play a more entertaining game, nothing was guaranteed on Saturday.

"Spain are one of the best teams in this World Cup and they were eliminated. But I don't think England are playing badly, that is a big misconception," he said.

"They have won games and they haven't conceded too many goals. I don't believe they are playing badly, the chances are equal," he added.

Pauleta said Scolari's side, who reached the finals of the European Championship two years ago, had improved since then.

"We are practically the same players but with two years more experience," he said "We are stronger in all aspects, but England are stronger too. The game will be equal and decided by small things, hopefully in our favour."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1808087,00.html

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 29 Jun 06 05:40

Blatter: this is the best World Cup ever

Fifa president believes games like Switzerland-Ukraine make this tournament more memorable than 1970

Staff and agencies
Wednesday June 28, 2006

Despite refereeing blunders, questionable rule changes and a series of less-than-exhilarating second-round matches, Fifa president Sepp Blatter has bullishly declared this summer's finals to be the greatest ever.
In an interview to be published tomorrow in Berlin's Der Tagesspiegel newspaper, Blatter claimed: "This is the best World Cup of all time. Never before has an event been presented in such an emotional and global manner. And from a sporting point of view we're also getting the highest quality."

Blatter also said domestic fervour regarding the Germany team was giving coach Jürgen Klinsmann's players a major lift.
"The Germany team is being carried by the enthusiasm in the country," added Blatter. "I'm beginning to ask myself: 'Who can stop these Germans?' Today, all the critics have to say 'Chapeau Herr Klinsmann'. I say that too."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1807967,00.html

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 29 Jun 06 05:41

Italy still searching for cheer

The Azzurri may be through to the quarter-finals, but Gianluca Pessotto's apparent suicide attempt has cast a shadow over a side still struggling to find form, writes James Richardson

Wednesday June 28, 2006

Just when Italian football couldn't get any stranger, along comes the Pessotto affair.
The former Italy and Juve defender's apparent attempt to take his life on Tuesday by jumping from Juventus headquarters has caused shock across Italy and among the Azzurri in Germany, where Fabio Cannavaro, Alessandro Del Piero and manager's assistant Ciro Ferrara immediately left on a private plane to visit their former team-mate in hospital.

Pessotto - who hung up his boots just this May - had recently been made team manager at Juventus in the wake of the Moggi-gate scandal at the club. Why he jumped, if he jumped, is a question only he can answer, but certainly his fall casts yet another shadow across this most difficult of summers. Last Thursday brought confirmation of the charges facing four of Serie A's biggest clubs in the match-fixing enquiry. If the press is to be believed, the "maxi-trial" which starts this week will end with Juve stripped of two titles and sent down a division, with Fiorentina and Lazio suffering lesser points penalties.

Milan - whose alleged attempts to produce a bargain rival to Juve's refs network by leaning on linesmen have provoked widespread ridicule - are tipped to get off lightest of all, as they'll pin it all on a rogue director. More trials, involving further clubs, may follow.
Meanwhile, in Germany, the Azzurri's attempts to take Italian fans' minds off all the doom and gloom have stuttered. After a fine start against Ghana, Italy failed to beat USA despite a man advantage, then looked sluggish against the Czechs in similar circumstances.

They won the group, but Monday's second-round showing against the Australians - going through on a penalty that was the last kick of the game - has only increased the pressure on manager Marcello Lippi to sort out the side.

"If that penalty had been given against us, we'd all be here talking about international conspiracies", one Italian paper was frank enough to comment about Monday's decisive spot kick.

The last-minute Fabio Grosso tumble wasn't strictly speaking a dive, as Lucas Neill's ill-advised sliding tackle provided a barrier between Grosso and the ball, and having already shaken off one illegal challenge on his way into the area the Italian was perfectly entitled to feel impeded by the second. Still, few in Italy deny that the pendulum of World Cup fortune had for once swung healthily in the Azzurri's favour.

They surely can't count on that happening too often. To unlock their potential Italy now need Marcello Lippi to settle on a formation. A popular conversational gambit right now among Italians is the "just like in '82". Italy, of course, won their qualifying group this time with a game to spare, "just like in '82". Italy also drew a pre-tournament friendly with Switzerland "just like in '82". And domestically, Italy are coming off a major match-fixing scandal, "just like in '82". It all bodes well.

However, one thing that's not "just like in '82" is the constant changing of line-up; if Italy's then-manager Enzo Bearzot hadn't stuck by Paolo Rossi despite his poor group form it's fair to say Italy would never have won that third World Cup.

The lesson for Lippi is: stick with Luca Toni. Sooner or later the big man must score, and until he does he still provides an outstanding outlet up front. Twice now we've seen his trademark move: receiving the ball with back to goal, spinning past his marker and firing off a shot. The first against Ghana hit the crossbar. On Monday it forced one of the saves of the tournament from Mark Schwarzer. The next one might just break his duck.

As for Francecso Totti, that magnificent final 15 minutes and masterful penalty against Australia ("I was just praying he wouldn't try that bloody chip again," said Lippi post-game) must have bought him another crack at the starting role against Ukraine, behind Toni and Alberto Gilardino. If it all clicks this time, look out world. If it doesn't, Italy will surely be found out in the semis, if not before. We'll see on Friday.

Allow me to finish though with a special mention for Marco Materazzi. Hailed by this column as a harbinger of doom should he so much as set foot on the pitch in Germany, "Matrix" instead came on for the injured Alessandro Nesta against the Czechs and gave the performance of his career. He looked like he was channelling Franz Beckenbauer back there, and was rightly rewarded with the man-of-the-match award. Italy will miss him in their quarter-final - and who'd have thought we'd end up saying that?

In this strangest of summers, it truly does seem that anything is possible.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/comment/story/0,,1807904,00.html

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 29 Jun 06 07:15

When do England play again???

I am confused........

(did Passotto really trry to top himself?)

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 29 Jun 06 07:21

Friday, 30 June 2006
Germany v Argentina,
Italy v Ukraine,

Saturday, 01 July 2006
Brazil v France,
England v Portugal,

Tuesday, 04 July 2006
Winner Q/F 1 v Winner Q/F 2,

Wednesday, 05 July 2006
Winner Q/F 3 v Winner Q/F 4,

Saturday, 08 July 2006
Loser SF1 v Loser SF2,

Sunday, 09 July 2006
Winners SF1 v Winners SF2,

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 29 Jun 06 07:36

I must admit the Germany V Argentina game has the potential to be the best game of the contest. Argentina are in fine form, and will be determined to win. Germany will be playing on the home front, and will but under huge pressure.

One game I will watch with keen interest.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 30 Jun 06 05:17

Whelan slams Sven selections

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has branded Sven Goran Eriksson's selection of Theo Walcott for the World Cup as 'stupid'.

Eriksson is left with just Wayne Rooney and Peter Crouch as viable selections in attack following the knee injury suffered by Michael Owen against Sweden last week.

Walcott was selected ahead of Premiership regulars Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe, despite never playing in England's top-flight, a decision that looks like haunting the Swede with just three fit strikers available.

Many were critical of the selection of the Arsenal teenager before the tournament but Whelan has again slammed the England head coach for the decision.

"Well to take the young boy is absolutely an insult to the game," Whelan told Sky Sports News.

"It's an insult to the youngster and so embarrassing for him not to have been on the field in a Premier League match.

"I think he's only played six games in The Championship and to pull the lad out of a situation like that to drop him in the goldfish bowl of England I think is most unfair on that youngster.

"For him it's total stupidity because he's lost a striker, we've lost Owen and have no replacement. I just think it's come home to roost with him, an absolutely stupid selection in the first place."

Whelan has also hit out at Eriksson's continued fascination with selecting David Beckham, despite his poor form so far in Germany, and believes it has been proven on numerous occasions in the past that a midfield with him, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard does not work.

"David Beckham has been and still is a very great player in certain areas but playing for England he hasn't performed over the last six games. A normal manager would've left him out but Sven seems to worship Beckham," Whelan continued.

"He's his captain, I think everybody knows he's not a real leader like Terry so why he does that I don't know but he seems to pick Beckham first choice. The first name on the sheet will be Beckham.

"We've never played well when we've had Beckham with Lampard and Gerrard on the field. Those three have never hit it off in any matches I've watched or seen.

"Why it is I don't know because two of the midfielders are outstanding for their clubs. Beckham hasn't played very well which is very strange.

"I think against Portugal you have got to go straight for the heart, say we're going to beat you and go 4-3-3.

"We seem to play 4-5-1 where we've got Rooney on his own up there and I feel so sorry for the lad, he just runs his heart out and he's on his own up there.

"He needs support and I'm sure Sven can see that and I just hope he selects the right team and we beat Portugal."

However, although unhappy with many aspects of Eriksson's decisions, Whelan says he will be the first to congratulate him should he guide England to World Cup success.

"I hope he makes us eat our words. I have been one of his biggest critics," he added.

"I hope he gets to the final and we would then say 'sorry Sven you've done it'. I hope from the heart that comes off and I'm saying to Sven 'well done lad' but I have grave doubts on that with his selections and substitutions."

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.aspx?hlid=399447&CPID=4&clid=114&lid=13&title=Whelan+slams+Sven+selections

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 30 Jun 06 05:20

Blatter in England swipe

Fifa chief Sepp Blatter has singled out England for criticism over their tactics they have used in the World Cup finals so far.

Blatter is currently in Germany overseeing the biggest tournament football has to offer.

He says he enjoys the attacking football used by most of the teams left in the competition - but he highlights England as the exception.

"I am happy that play is very offensive," he told German newspaper Tagesspiegel.

"The only exception is England, who fielded just one striker in their second round match.

"That is not the kind of offensive football you would expect from a title contender."

Blatter is unlikely to be cheered much more by England on Saturday when they face Portugal when again they will likely field one up-front in the shape of Wayne Rooney.

England, though, would probably point out that of the eight remaining countries in the competition another two - France and Portugal - also adopt the lone striker option.

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.aspx?hlid=399409&CPID=4&clid=114&lid=&title=Blatter+in+England+swipe

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 30 Jun 06 05:24

There is also a whole spiel by Phil Thompson.......
http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/expert.aspx?lid=WC2006_Column_-_Phil_Thompson&hlid=399107

If your interested. Personally i have no time for him (Why oh why did you get rid of Fowler, and keep Heskey??)He was a crappy stand in manager, and he killed the Scouser spirit at Liverpool (Gerrard, Murphy and Fowler were the scouser backbone of Liverpool and the three of them spurred Liverpool on to great things)

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 30 Jun 06 05:29

Eriksson gives both barrels to England critics

Daniel Taylor in Baden-Baden
Thursday June 29, 2006
The Guardian

For someone who says he dislikes being compared to Luiz Felipe Scolari, Sven-Goran Eriksson could be found doing a reasonable impersonation of the Portugal coach yesterday as he set about tackling the criticisms that have accompanied England's progress to the World Cup quarter-finals. It was Eriksson's most trenchant defence of his tactics to date, culminating in one put-down straight from the Scolari manual. "Don't tell me I don't know what to do," he said. "I know exactly what to do."

England's head coach had begun by declaring he "couldn't care less" if his methods were under intense scrutiny but it quickly became clear he was exasperated by the disparagement that has fixed itself to England's campaign. Eriksson has revealed a sensitive edge in this tournament that has not always been apparent and at one point he broke off to point out that Scolari would have "thrown everyone out" if faced by a similar line of interrogation. He described himself as "tense" and, behind that fixed smile, there was a steely message for his detractors.
"Listen, we are going to try to play as well as we can," he said. "I'm sure, too, that we are going to be better against Portugal on Saturday. You always try to play good football but what's absolutely the most important thing is to win the football game. They don't give you a premium here for playing beautiful football.

"Ghana have played wonderful football. Ivory Coast have played wonderful football. Holland and Spain, the same. If I had to pick one team, on Tuesday afternoon it would have been Spain. But where are they? Tell me, where are these four teams now? At home, that's where. And we are here. I'm not frustrated. I'm actually rather satisfied. OK, we can play better but, to win the World Cup, I'm prepared to do whatever. And if that means playing bad football then [clenching his fist], come on, who cares?"

The question is whether England have an obligation to concoct something more illuminating or whether the players deserve greater credit for having reached this stage. Eriksson does not believe they have been dealt with fairly and in his understated way he made no effort to hide his irritation when it was put to him that game-by-game experimenting indicated a man with no clear plan.

"I don't agree with that at all," he replied. "Really, I don't know what I should answer to that. If we had only one system you would ask, 'Where is the Plan B?' If we have two systems you say, 'We don't know which way to play'. How do you expect me to answer that? We have a clear vision and we know exactly what we are doing. What do you think we do - tell the players to go out and just say, 'Good luck, do what you want to do?' If what we say is right or wrong, that's another thing. But, to us, it's clear. Every minute we are together it's absolutely clear."

Was it not strange, he was asked, to shift Owen Hargreaves to right-back against Ecuador after he had excelled as a holding midfielder in the Sweden game? "But there's a reason why we do these things," he countered. "He can play right-back and he did so very well. The reason why we put Michael Carrick into midfield was that they [Ecuador] had two central midfielders, not three. They didn't have a playmaker like Figo or Deco."

Hargreaves, he explained, was switched because there was no longer a requirement for a player to sit in front of defence. "We look at our opponents and all their games, we look at our own performances on video, we analyse everything," said Eriksson. "Of course there's a plan."

Gary Neville's return from injury meant Hargreaves returned to a five-man midfield in training yesterday. The players also took part in a mock penalty shoot-out and David Beckham and Frank Lampard were the only two to beat Paul Robinson on three successive occasions.

Robinson's vulnerability has been noted by Portugal but Eriksson shrugged when informed that the striker Pauleta had made provocative remarks. "That's mind games and I'm not interested in mind games. Paul has my full confidence, absolutely. I'm not concerned about him at all."

There were also some consoling words for the out-of form Lampard. "I think he's been unlucky, and that's it. He's had a lot of shots - 22, I think ... that's not bad. It will come. It's not a big issue for me."

Eriksson, however, confessed nerves were starting to get to him. "This is a World Cup quarter-final and who knows if I will get another one? I won't get nervous until I arrive at the stadium. Then I will be tense. You arrive 1½ hours early and there's nothing to do. You can't speak to the players for an hour. So you sit there drinking tea. It's a long time. It doesn't drive me mad but it's a long time."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1808301,00.html

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 01 Jul 06 10:19

Argies knocked out by Germany....fuck it
Italy thrashed their opponents.

Will write more later

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 01 Jul 06 11:02

so who won this morning? i was at work..

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 01 Jul 06 12:49

Italia won 3 zip, will face DeutschLand Uber Alles on Tuesday in the semis.
Posted by: Jokie Jokie Girl

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 01 Jul 06 13:04

Germany!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 01 Jul 06 13:33

Quote:
Italia won 3 zip, will face DeutschLand Uber Alles on Tuesday in the semis.
well in that case i hope the fatherland wins. italy cheated its way to the finals.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 01 Jul 06 18:05

Quote:

Will write more later
you mentioned something about Argentina before???

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 01 Jul 06 22:48

thanks guys, yep i saw the replay, germany won!

ok..i'm really pissed! my buds are waiting for me at the King's Head in Santa Monica to watch ENGURLAND's sexy boys kicking the ball!
but...i got some works to do for a few hrs..
so, please..watch the soccer and keep an eye on sexy Beckham for me ya!

brb...

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 01:50

A sinmple note to the England team....

NEVER EVER EVER FUCKING EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER

EVER

EVER

get into a penalty shoot out.

NEVER

Put your heart, and your balls, into getting that fucking ball into the goal in the first half.

you fucking halfwitted morons.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 04:14

huggies for PB...i know how you feel baby, i was working and i had my cell on watched the fucking game! i was sooooooo...pissed!

so, my buds called from the sportsbar! they cried..! i told them to fuck off and leave me alone frown

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 04:15

france just made a score! goooooaaaalll..!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 06:29

Phew!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 12:41

Quote:
Quote:

Will write more later
Not as much as you metioned England and David Beckham....lol laugh wink

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 12:48

i did mention Beckham's ass a lot! :p

packing..packing..packing!! for bali..bali..bali!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 12:51

American dude got pissed! laugh

ERIC BRIAN BOCHNIARZ wrote:
Who else is pissed that Brasil lost?!
Eu nau seu Brasilero, mas I gosto Brasil muito. Basicallly, I'm American, but I love Brazil and I'm pissed that they lost. Who else is with me?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 14:22

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Will write more later
Not as much as you metioned England and David Beckham....lol laugh wink
NEVER EVER EVER FUCKING EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER

EVER

EVER

get into a penalty shoot out.

NEVER

Put your heart, and your balls, into getting that fucking ball into the goal in the first half.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 17:52

ummm. i see that engerland lost. just in case you missed it. or perhaps, just to remind everyone, in case you forgot smile

life is good, isn't it PB?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 18:02

As I said before, see my coments on the CIA Forum

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 02 Jul 06 18:32

I just don’t understand it. Football is a simple game. I don’t need a posse or researchers and a supercomputer to work out that getting to the end of the game and having it decided on penalty shootout is FUCKING RISKY.

For gods sake, play your heart out and score a goal before then. Or just toss a coin.

I know it was over as soon as we got to that stage.

As a girl pointed out to me, they still go home to their Ferraris, and to their wives and GF. Which is exactly the problem. I wouldn’t let the bunch of losers into the country.

FUCKING ASSHOLES.

(not that I am bitter or twisted about losing AGAIN!)

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 03 Jul 06 04:23

Beckham has just quit as captain....hooray! smile smile smile

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5138288.stm

He also states he wants to continue his international career, he better sort his domestic game out first though!!

What a wonderful way to start a Monday!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 03 Jul 06 04:35

Have you been smoking crack, Sven?

Diversion tactics won't work: we all know it's your fault.
Georgina Turner
July 2, 2006 02:02 PM

So let me get this straight, Sven: you don't want people to blame Wayne Rooney for England's World Cup exit? That's your parting gesture? After five hapless years in charge of England, a reign that (in terms of major tournaments) ends as it started, with a quarter-final defeat to end a feckless World Cup campaign, your last words plead mercy for your young star and simultaneously point a finger in his direction. By the time we've all looked back at you, of course, there's just an empty, spinning chair and a hand-painted Dala horse as something to remember you by.

Well, just to put your mind at rest, Sven, I don't blame Rooney. No one really does. He's a stupid boy whose temper will continue to get the better of him and his ambitions unless he does something about it - there's not much debate about that. But for the most part, Sven, they blame you. That England even reached the quarter-finals under your guidance is under excited consideration by the Minor Miracles Department.

Before, during and after yesterday's match you insisted that the England squad was too good to go out any earlier than the final. In the last five years the dregs of the 90s generation have been washed away, some outstanding young talents have emerged and players that were already good have reached their prime. Some of them have even had time to come out of the other side of it. Whether you noticed or not is the big question.

Most of what has happened during your tenure as England manager seems to have reached you via telegram, bemusing and surprising you in equal measure. Here were the building blocks of the strongest England team for a generation, and you just batted them about like a child who hasn't quite grasped the point of Lego yet.

Five years with essentially the same core group of players and you still couldn't come up with a winning formation. Five years to build a relationship with them and still you couldn't coax anything like their club form out of most of them. Five years' worth of friendlies - 28? - and still the midfield perplexed you; still you couldn't see that this was the time to try the youngsters pushing for places; still, you seemed to have misjudged entirely the opposition and the reaction they'd prompt from your men.

People have suggested that you didn't have the balls to drop the likes of David Beckham (who did you a massive favour by resigning as captain this morning, and don't you know it) when it became clear there were players who could exploit the right-hand channel to far greater effect. I think they flatter you massively: you didn't lack the balls, you lacked the gumption to spot what was right in front of your face. Time and again you've defended that gargantuan salary of yours by pointing out that you are managing a national team. Anyone so aware of their massive responsibility does not lack the courage to drop so-called star players. If they fail to do so, it's because they don't understand why they need to go.

If anybody wanted any more proof of what a charlatan you are, they need only look at what you did with Andy Johnson against USA last year. Floundering, you called up a player Joe Public was thumping a tub for. You didn't really know why. You couldn't possibly have understood his talent to have deployed him in the meaningless way you did. Look at Owen Hargreaves! That man has looked shoddy in an England shirt for five years. Yesterday, with nothing to lose, he emptied his head of any instructions he'd received and took the game by the scruff of the neck - he was easily England's brightest player as the game wore on. How did you manage that? And Walcott? Were we supposed to be impressed by the new Wild 'N' Wacky Sven? The Sven so wacky it never occurred to him that injuries and suspensions might leave him actually having to start a knockout match with Peter Crouch and Walcott up front?

On paper, and knowing now that under-performing sides like France and Portugal are through to the semis, England certainly should have troubled the latter stages of this tournament, had they turned in better performances, had they taken a squad shorn of dead weight like Wayne Bridge and Jermaine Jenas and buoyed by strikers like Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe. Had there not been a bumbling Swede at the helm.

The only people I've encountered who didn't blame you, Sven, were on my train home yesterday. They were drunk and smoking pot, just to give you a little context. I believe they moved onto smoking crack shortly before I reached my destination. "Fuck Portugal!" they yelped at regular intervals in their cracked, hurt voices. "Every fuckin' time, innit? We get robbed. Fuckin' Argy ref! Fuckin' Manc cunt Ronaldo! Fuck Portugal!"

I kind of hope you've been smoking crack all along, Sven. It's the only way out of this with any dignity.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/worldcup06/2006/07/02/have_you_been_smoking_crack_sv.html

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 04 Jul 06 07:31

PB, this post is for you to respond too, mainly. I am reading this article....
http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1810712,00.html

The intersting bit is quoted as below....

"Klinsmann took the view that his players were good but the work they were doing was not. And so he gave them extra training drills to take back to their clubs. These were meant to give them the feeling that they belonged to an elite and that they should go on and prove it. Players who shirked the extra burden were not chosen for the World Cup squad.

Magpie: This is such a great idea, problem is in England, they already believe they are elite, and Sven's squad selections pretty much confirmed it didnt matter what they did, they were going to get chosen.

Klinsmann's general criticism of the state of German football also took in those who did not deserve it, however. Werder Bremen, where Miroslav Klose, Torsten Frings and Tim Borowski are first-teamers, have long had a fluid and attractive way of playing. Hamburg SV are often good to watch and it can be fun to go and see Mainz 05, a smaller team who play with real heart. But these are exceptions to the general rule that the Bundesliga is lacking in adventurous football.

'Going out in the quarter-finals would be a catastrophe,' Klinsmann had said before the Argentina game, although that sounded like hyperbole because his team had already won over the hearts of the public with their livelier and more positive way of playing.

Magpie: Sven just spouted in the Media how the English team were good enough to reach the finals. It seems to me that the team had about as much faith in these statements as I did, and anyone who watches a lot of football (not just the world cup guys)

But Klinsmann demands success because he is not a man to settle for half-measures. He has seldom tried to advertise himself or his ideas, has never made pacts or compromises. Only winning can help him.

Magpie: I can't see Sven demanding anything, he just doesnt seem the type to DEMAND things, asides from his golden handshake.

He never had the public behind him as a player, but now when they see how Bastian Schweinsteiger, Christoph Metzelder or Lukas Podolski play better for Germany than they do for their clubs, they are happy to back Klinsmann."

Magpie" Sven had the public, and lost them. Tough shit mate, we are very fickle, but you actually had the support of the general english populace longer than most. Come manage Newcastle United, we are so bloody fickle we will get rid of you in 1 season if you dont produce the goods (55 years and still waiting! laugh )

...Remember how you said you would lock the players in a room, visualising holding the cup....well I believe that's exactly what Klinsmann was upto. I have got to give it to the man, he is working his backside off, because there is only 1 acceptable result to him, winning the World Cup. If he doesnt, the likleyhood is that he will lose his job.(shouldnt the only motivating reason to be in charge of your National Team, to be to win, not to recieve 5 millions pounds a year?)

Now thinking about all of this, lets apply the same theory to Sven. He had 3 years longer than Klinsmann, seen a lot more football, and the question is what did he change from the last World Cup?

The formation, and that is it. I am not going to go into this too deeply, simply because I dont have the time....but he did not do his job to the best of his ability, and if that was his best, can I have a go please?

One other thing....England has the hardest game of football to play, in Europe, and probably the world.......So we shouldnt be that suprised by injured and exhausted players at the end of the season...We just needs someone that is aware of that when they pick the next world cup Squad.

Thank God Steve McLaren only has a contract until the Euro's in 2 years time, hopefully the powers that be will watch him and realise he doesnt have the gumption to motivate geordies to drink beer and fight, never mind command an English Football team to glory.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 04 Jul 06 11:42

I would pick a hungry unknown side. Tell them to get divorced or leave the side (that would sort out commitment), then put a guy in the stand with a rifle. Anyone who didn’t pay hard enough get shot.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 04 Jul 06 11:54

From the BBC this Morning!

Uses for an unwanted England flag
Millions of England fans are waking up to unwanted flags on houses and cars. A few suggestions on what to do with them.

Use them to dry your eyes. Despite most flags being made from synthetic materials, typically woven polyester, some of them can be absorbent enough for your most lachrymose moments.

Continue to display your England flag with pride (part I). If anybody asks, point out England are still in the competition, Saturday was all just a bad dream, lightning never strikes so many times, it's going to be an England v Germany final. Place hands over ears and repeat "naa naa naa, I can't hear you".

If you're a Sun reader you could consider using the flags as stuffing for an effigy of the newly-crowned "least popular man in the Premiership" Cristiano Ronaldo. Don't burn it though as some polyester can give off pollutants.

Recycle it. Some polyester fibre can be recycled effectively.

Return them to China. They made them.

If you know anyone who's a dab hand with a sewing machine why not consider turning the flags into clothing and shipping them out to developing countries.

Bleach flag, convert into cross of St Andrew, get behind Andrew Murray. There isn't a single French, German, Portuguese or Italian player left in the men's singles at Wimbledon. So frankly, who cares about the World Cup. (Correct at time of going to press).

Try and get a refund or exchange. The Trade Descriptions Act 1968 makes it an offence for a trader to knowingly or recklessly make misleading statements about services. Any flag trader who suggested England enjoyed a vague chance of actually winning the thing should surely feel obliged to offer you at least a France flag in exchange.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 04 Jul 06 12:01

Is the future bright for England?

By Phil McNulty
Chief football writer in Germany

Steve McClaren's England era starts with the new coach having hands-on experience of the problems he must confront after Sven-Goran Eriksson ended his reign in failure.

McClaren was almost absolved from blame for England's poor World Cup showing by some apologists - but he does not start his new career covered in glory.

The former Middlesbrough man was the visible face of England's dug-out, standing on the touchline with his trademark notes and pen, as well as his trademark wave urging England forward.

2008 CERTAINTIES
Paul Robinson, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney, Joe Cole, Aaron Lennon, Owen Hargreaves.

And make no mistake, despite what his supporters would have you believe, his hand was very much on the body of England's World Cup ambitions.
McClaren was a key coaching figure, and to suggest Eriksson ignored all his advice is stretching reality to breaking point.

Now he must do the job himself - and there will be no hiding place for a man already under pressure because he was part of England's downfall in Germany.

He needs results quickly because his was an appointment that was hardly well-received by the public, especially as first choice Luiz Felipe Scolari delivered another "here's what you could have won" moment when his limited Portugal side ousted England.

David Beckham has at least saved McClaren the thorny job of removing him from the captaincy, something he would surely have done after the Real Madrid star's lame performances here.

Now McClaren must tackle the Beckham sub-plot. Should he actually keep his place in the team at the age of 31?

He has looked a spent force for much of his time in Germany, and England have talent in the wings in the shape of Aaron Lennon and the forgotten Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Beckham is a proud man and he will not sacrifice his place lightly, but McClaren must surely start exploring his options.

The one-time icon of England will not be around for the 2010 World Cup, and his form in Germany suggests he is a serious doubt for the European Championship in 2008.

EURO 2008 POSSIBLES
Gary Neville, Wayne Bridge, Jamie Carragher, Jermaine Jenas, Michael Carrick, David Beckham, Stewart Downing, Peter Crouch, Theo Walcott.

Gary Neville is also 31 and another question McClaren must answer, but he is still England's best right-back and his influence on the squad and his natural leadership means he should stay for now.
But he is unlikely to be around for the European Championship and is a non-starter for the next World Cup, so McClaren must also seek alternatives there.

McClaren must also break the bad news to Sol Campbell that his long England career is over.

Campbell is creaking, as his performance against Sweden proved, and at 32 in September his time on this stage has expired.

England have centre-halves in waiting such as Michael Dawson, while Jamie Carragher would have played ahead of Campbell as replacement for suspended John Terry had they progressed into the semi-final.

McClaren must also send 17-year-old Theo Walcott back to school with Arsenal.

Walcott's presence in Germany was nothing short of farcical and became a rich source of humour and sarcasm by journey's end.

Wayne Rooney will be the fulcrum of England's attacking efforts, but McClaren must solve the issue of who plays with him.

Michael Owen can be forgotten for most of next season, so McClaren must put Jermain Defoe back on the radar.

Peter Crouch was a relative success in Germany, but if McClaren is bold, he will give a debut to West Ham's Dean Ashton.

Everton new boy Andrew Johnson and Charlton's Darren Bent may also stake their claims to the new coach.

England are well served in defence, but more competition is needed for goalkeeper Paul Robinson, whose World Cup was a mixed bag.

If Chris Kirkland can stay fit for three games he might get his chance with Norwich's Robert Green out for months.

England's wafer-thin resources were exposed by the fact that the erratic and 35-year-old David James was Robinson's deputy, followed by Scott Carson, who is surplus at Liverpool and was farmed out to Sheffield Wednesday last season.

McClaren's greatest task of all is to solve a puzzle that escaped Eriksson until the very end.

How to make England's gifted midfield work - and decide whether Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard can play together?

Gerrard was far more impressive than Lampard in Germany, and McClaren must decide if the Chelsea man should make way for Owen Hargreaves, who was an unqualified World Cup success.

Hargreaves could be the man to finally release Gerrard from the shackles he is forced to wear for England and become the driving force he is at Anfield.

Dare McClaren drop Lampard to accommodate Hargreaves and Gerrard?

He should at least consider it because England's midfield has failed to function too often.

EURO 2008 NON-STARTERS
Sol Campbell, David James, Scott Carson, Michael Owen.

Lampard will be 32 at the next World Cup, so the European Championship may be his last big tournament.
McClaren's first job is to choose a new captain - my choice would be Gerrard but it appears John Terry will get the nod.

So what else will McClaren bring to the table?

Well, he may bring Terry Venables and Alan Shearer for a start, two appointments that may get sceptics from the media and supporters onside quickly.

But McClaren must be his own man. If he attempts to hide behind trophy appointments to his coaching staff he will fail.

England's backroom staff had a somewhat cobwebbed look in Germany, with the familiar old faces such as Sammy Lee and Ray Clemence still on parade.

It needs freshening up, especially as McClaren has been a familiar face to England's players for five years.

McClaren must be bold, not the cautious figure who told Middlesbrough's players to run the ball into the corner to preserve a 0-0 draw at home to Liverpool on the opening day of last season.

The jury is very much out on McClaren, and the sense is that unless he makes a fast start he will have the shortest of honeymoon periods, even by England standards.

McClaren has talked a good game so far - now he must prove he is the right man for the job and not someone who got lucky at the perfect time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5141898.stm

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 04 Jul 06 12:02

Or you could carry them at the front of a great army, invade the barbaric lands to the north, subdue the savages and bring peace and prosperity to the people…. smile smile smile

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 04 Jul 06 12:39

You tried it before and fucked it all up! Better get used to getting gubbed on the field!

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 04 Jul 06 13:57

Interesting to note that the countries that excel, or claim to excel at football are the ones that are always starting wars but always losing them.

France. Beaten by everyone and anyone with half an army.
Germany. Beaten in WW1. Beaten again in WW2.
Argentina: Thrown off the Falklands 1982
Brazil: Has Brazil ever got it together enough to actually fight a war against someone?

Who else is there?

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 05 Jul 06 05:26

IT's a very even game at the moment, but space all over the park, 0-0 in second half of extra time, Italy vs Germany. Think Germany may win in penalties...but who knows, what a great game, was late for work because I watched the first 90 mins. End to end football, great stuff, finally a match worthy of watching.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 05 Jul 06 06:28

Grosso's late strike breaks German hearts

Germany 0 - 2 Italy
Grosso 119, Del Piero 120

Kevin McCarra in Dortmund
Wednesday July 5, 2006

Guardian

Fabio Grosso and Alessandro del Piero sent Italy into raptures with extra-time goals that broke the hearts of the host nation. The left-back Grosso curled in a shot from 10 yards with just a minute of the extra period to play and, only seconds later, Del Piero broke free on the left of the German penalty area to deliver a fine finish into the roof of the net.
It was no more than the Italians deserved. They had looked the likeliest to break the deadlock in extra-time when they hit the woodwork through Alberto Gilardino and Gianluca Zambrotta.

Brightly as they have performed to earn the devotion of their countrymen, Germany conduct this tournament under an unwavering strain. Adulation alone can not make them the equal of stars that Italy and other nations brought to the World Cup. It takes a mixture of camaraderie, organisation and the inflamed encouragement of home crowds to sustain the team.

The effort required during the first-half at the Westfalenstadion was as great as at any point in the competition. It has been a genuine ambition of Marcello Lippi, during the past couple of years, to develop a line-up for which it is possible to feel affection. The plan is working nicely on neutrals, but the majority of fans in this ground watched with disquiet.

Before the World Cup got under way the common opinion was that Germany were deficient in defence yet, before the interval, they often had to count on resilience. Italy were confident, barely conscious of the antagonism in the stands. Their 4-2-3-1 appeared particularly effective at releasing attackers on the flanks.

As early as the 11th minute there was an ominous slickness as Fabio Grosso went clear and Philipp Lahm had to get in front of Mauro Camoranesi to clear.

There was space to be found behind the Germany back four and when Francesco Totti flighted a through ball five minutes later it was only an unsatisfactory touch by Simone Perrotta that let the goalkeeper Jens Lehmann block.

Italy had the talent and self-belief to be sprightly in their build-up. The opposition were far more mechanical, with a bit of dash sacrificed with Klinsmann's decision that the deteriorating form of Bastian Schweinsteiger meant the left winger could not start here although he did come on after 73 minutes for his replacement, the powerful Tim Borowski, who hit a searching diagonal pass or two from that area in the first half but could not carry the game to Italy all that often.

Despite their limited means, Germany were not short of hope or passion. Their intermittent bursts had value and when Miroslav Klose headed down towards Lukas Podolski in the 15th minute Italy's captain Fabio Cannavaro displayed all his habitual quickness of mind in pulling off an interception. While Klinsmann's side were inferior in the craft of the sport they could not be dismissed as also-rans.

They had an obvious faith that a way could be found to drag victory from this game. Germany kept an eye open for any counter-attacks that could be sprung and when Sebastian Kehl, the replacement for the suspended Torsten Frings, cut out an Andrea Pirlo pass his side broke incisively. Klose and Podolski worked to put play out to the right, from where Bernd Schneider shot over.

Germany's wish to impose themselves was apparent even though it was far tougher to acquire the concerted technique to do so. There was, however, a higher tempo and boldness following the interval. The convincing Kehl put one fine ball through for Klose to go haring into the middle of the penalty area but Gianluigi Buffon saved.

While he is a contender for the title of goalkeeper of the tournament that had been the first noteworthy intervention by him. Germany had, all the same, succeeded in being abrasive and they presumably accepted the price of that, with Borowski and Christoph Metzelder booked for tackles from behind before an hour had gone by.The competitiveness was slowly making the contest more even.

While Germany may not have been quite so refined, their passing also had purpose. When Arne Friedrich slipped the ball in from the right in the 63rd minute, Podolski turned and crashed an attempt but it was impossible to beat Buffon from so tight an angle at the near post. Even so the match had developed an engrossing tone, with only good defending and occasional wastefulness from attackers limiting the entertainment.

Tiredness, too, created gaps through which players such as Ballack might advance. The Westfalenstadion had an air of anticipation as the players thundered their way into the closing 20 minutes. They may have done so, all the same, while wondering what stamina would remain for a period of extra-time that looked more and more probable. When it came Italy had the best chances, Gilardino struck a post after jinking his way past Ballack and then, after a corner, Zambrotta lashed in an attempt that cannoned against the crossbar. It was left to Grosso's delightful shot, and then Del Piero, to give the game the finish it deserved.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,329521610-118965,00.html

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 06 Jul 06 04:44

France 1 - 0 Portugal
Havent been watching the game, because I decided to be on time for work!
Penalty given to France (sounds like it was a bit controversial((suprise, suprise)and Zidane scored).

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 06 Jul 06 04:44

Portugal are pressing heavily in the French half, with 9 minutes to go.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 06 Jul 06 04:48

"Portugal are getting desperate, and virtually ever member of their squad is out in the technical area appealing for yellow cards on a couple of occasions when Ronaldo is bundled to the ground. Hilariously, Scolari orders them back to the dug-out and tells them to calm down - before raging at the officials himself. "Big Phil" is facing his first defeat in a World Cup tournament unless Portugal can breathe life into this game."
Phil McNulty, BBC Sport in Munich

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 06 Jul 06 04:49

87 mins: A second yellow card and Louis Saha will miss what looks like being the biggest match of his career after a horrible two-footed lunge on Luis Figo.

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 06 Jul 06 04:58

It's all over. France won 1-0. So on to the Final (there is no way I am going to watch Germany vs Portugal losers match, as it has the potential to be the a match with a ridiculous amount of free kicks, diving and general bad will toward each other).

I am hoping for a flowing type of game between France and Italy, hopefully a repeat of the type of football shown yesterday.

Who will win......who knows? But it's going to be exciting finding out....place your bets here! smile

Re: ITALY-USA game best so FAR! - 06 Jul 06 06:21

Zidane and France seize their final chance

France 1 - 0 Portugal
Zidane 32 (pen)

Kevin McCarra in Munich
Thursday July 6, 2006

Guardian

France have their chance to regain the World Cup against Italy in Berlin on Sunday and, as an additional prize, prove most of the planet wrong. Having won this semi-final through Zinedine Zidane's serenely dispatched penalty, the 1998 winners will no longer hear much of a debate when they say that age makes them experienced rather that decrepit.
France protected their lead without too much trouble. All they will rue is the booking for the substitute Louis Saha that rules the attacker out of the final. Portugal, searching for an equaliser, scared France when Fabien Barthez fumbled a Cristiano Ronaldo free-kick with 12 minutes left and Luis Figo headed over. With Fernando Meira wasting a chance in stoppage-time, though, the resurgence of Raymond Domenech's side could not be halted.

In the 0-0 draw with Switzerland it had looked sure the World Cup could offer France only condolences. The subsequent rejuvenation of body and spirit has been one of the great themes of the tournament and there was an obvious pride in the players, veterans and comparative striplings alike, at being in the semi-final.

Ambition could never end there and contentiousness gradually seeped in, but the match at least started in a good-natured mood. A trace of affection for one another was apparent as the rivals stood in the tunnel before kick-off. After the perfectly valid debate about gamesmanship from Portugal there was relief, for a while, in rediscovering that football itself can be a suitable topic of conversation.

Ricardo Carvalho did harangue Zidane over an alleged dive in the 27th minute, but the bitterness was not pervasive in the first-half. A riot even failed to erupt when the penalty was awarded six minutes later that saw Domenech's side take the lead. Thierry Henry moved elusively and Carvalho, off balance, jutted out a left boot and the Arsenal forward went down

England can attest to Ricardo's specialist skill as a penalty-stopper, but Zidane, with a two step run-up, was too crisp in his execution for the goalkeeper to have any hope. The playmaker raised his hands to the skies in a gesture of gratitude. His career ends with this World Cup and his desire to stave off the retirement party until France have contested the final has become ever more pronounced.

Age is being made to look like a condition for which he has found a cure, at least for a couple of weeks. Ronaldo, at 21, is in no need of any remedies whatsoever. He gave an excellent display before the interval.

His confidence was set to maximum when he ran at defenders and he was the centre of a 37th-minute incident that had Luiz Felipe Scolari and his backroom staff leaping up in anger at the denial of a penalty. Luis Figo crossed and Ronaldo received some very close attention from Willy Sagnol, whose arm was raised as he challenged, but the referee Jorge Larrionda considered it legitimate marking.

Even before going behind, Portugal were much brighter than they ever allowed themselves to be against England. Deco's comeback, after a ban, partly accounted for that and he forced a save from Barthez early on after unleashing an unexpected shot. A little later Ronaldo employed the sole of his boot to give Maniche a reverse pass and the midfielder's drive went fractionally high.

France were not cowed and it was inexplicable that Henry chose not to lunge when he could have turned in the lovely ball that Eric Abidal rolled across the six-yard box after 14 minutes. None the less, Zidane's team had put pressure on Portugal in the second half.

After the interval, Scolari's men first had a demonstration of the trouble they would have in chasing an equaliser while also striving to subdue the opposition. Henry eluded Meira to put himself in a favoured, left position. His shot came off Ricardo's arm and went narrowly wide.

France were poised and for a while and, with Zidane putting on a demonstration of his tricks, Franck Ribéry had room for an effort that Barthez turned over. Portugal's discomfort was accentuated when the right-back Miguel hurt himself and was replaced by Paulo Ferreira.

Pauleta had made enough space to avoid Lilian Thuram before hitting the side-net after 53 minutes, but Portugal's chronic difficulty in finding players at the centre of attack was being illustrated again.

Scolari removed Pauleta, who has been his usual disappointing self at the World Cup, and introduced Simao Sabrosa so that Ronaldo could play through the middle. That shuffling, however, was being asked to disrupt a France side with a settled conviction that it was destined to return to a World Cup final.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,329522446-118965,00.html