Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97966 - 07 Apr 09 15:56 TOSCANA, Kemang Raya
Donna_D Offline
Member+++

Loc: J-town
X-POSTED FROM MY MULTIPLY: http://cinnamonstar.multiply.com
----------------------------------------------------------
When you enter this Italian Restaurant, you'll be mesmerized by it's atmosphere. It's homey,yet looks like a fine dining place. Toscana is actually Italian for Tuscany. Each table is fancied with a stem of rose, a candlelit and a basket of assorted breads and butter. Music is slow and fainted sound (I wish the piano that is settled in the room corner is not just another decoration), but, we're not here to talk about the room interior, so let's talk about the food.

Judging by the portion that is served to other guests, we (yes there are the 2 of us) decided to share the 2 course meals we plan to have. The menu represented in Italian ( what do you expect, it's Italian Restaurant!) but good thing they have information in english. And you can always ask the waiter if you don't understand about the menu, right? Communicate people!

Firstly, we order what is called Salmone affumicato con crostini e mousse al pepe (try to pronounce that to your waitress!) - it's a smoked salmon with herbs and green pepper with some sort of cheese. It tasted salty, and the green pepper add the good taste that comes with it. Not particularly spectacular, maybe I'm not a big fan of smoked salmon, but let's move on to our 1st Course.

It's called Parpadelle al fredo- a.k.a - a homemade pasta served with ricotta cheese and spinach and topped with mushroom, sage and butter sauce. Picture is shown in this post, and this is really good. The sauce is perfectly blended. The pasta is also very fresh. When I live in Tuscany, this is the meal I want to have for every dinner I have! (ok, I may exaggerate on that, but it's sooo good).

For second course (because one course is not enough in this restaurant, my dear) we opted for Branzino al catoccio- baked sea bass with italian herbs, cherry tomato in wine sauce. The taste is a bit sour and tangy, we have about 3 slices of fish, and the wine sauce is magnifico! This portion also comes with chips potato on top.

Overall, it's la cena era deliziosa! I can't stop being dreamy about being in tuscany during the whole dinner! the food is perfect, and the atmosphere is wonderful. Those of you who'd like to take your significant other/spouse for a romantic dinner I highly recommend this place. You may find it's suprising as the food are not ridiculously over priced, and for Indonesian like us, the portion is good enough for two. In the menu, there are also rice-based food (like risotto) or a good ol' pizza. If you want to have something special maybe you can try the wagyu steak, one portion is about Rp 385,000!

Total bills:
Appetizer : Rp 50,000
1st course: Rp 55,000
2nd course:Rp 64,000

I look up the wine list and they have chianti's! as it's too expensive for my wallet, I skipped it. You can also try a house wine by glas for about Rp 50,000.

#97969 - 07 Apr 09 16:02 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Donna_D]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Agreed. Nice restaurant.

#108436 - 09 Feb 10 17:15 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Piss Salon]
Stranger Offline
Member+

Loc: Indonesia
nice info.

#108438 - 09 Feb 10 22:00 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Stranger]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jak
Nice review. I checked it out after I read your review:

“Do you have a reservation, Sir?” Turning up at one of Kemang’s most popular restaurants at 7.30pm on a whim is always likely to end in tears, but respect due to Toscana for using their initiative and doing some table juggling while we sat at the bar having complimentary drinks to apologise to us for us inconveniencing ourselves. At this point I realised that the dining area is non-smoking and resolved to absorb as much nicotine as possible while waiting at the bar and munching complimentary bread-sticks. I do love the concept of free stuff and tend too avail of too many, with the result that I have generally sated my appetite by the time my food arrives. Probably some kind of conditioning from student days, when it was a matter of stocking up on anything not nailed down when visiting a restaurant.
I actually visited because I had recently heard two good reviews from my friends and having lunched in Loca!, I made the short stroll around the corner to Toscana wondering if it would be snooty, or expensive or entirely hyped-up – my usual pre-review inverted snobbery mantra. It does try to be snooty, but as evidenced by the service upon arrival, this snootiness just seems to be hard-working efficiency as opposed to ball-breaking coldness (Cassis!). Once the nicotine and gluten-fest were dispensed with, we were seated at a very pleasant seat beside a couple who appeared to have dispensed with the communicative dimension of their relationship, and instead he fiddled with the settings on his Crackberry, while she phoned her friend. Who says love is dead in the 21st century?
I ordered the Grisca (Something) Carne while the Marmzfemme opted for the Penne Bolognese, which she forgot to request uncheesed. Some gentle huffing and puffing ensued, but such is life, and she had already devoured a fairly bulking-looking semi-chicken earlier. Her food was apparently not quite as good as the equivalent in PepeNiro, Trattoria’s new incarnation, but perhaps the cheese was a deciding factor, on top of a full stomach. The reason I am making excuses for Toscana is that my food was incredible. The meat – lamb chop, tenderloin, sirloin and veal was served on a bed of mixed lettuces, accompanied by aubergine, three colours of peppers and caramelised onion with a red wine and pepper sauce on the side. NOMNOMNOM!
I think I let down Mz Marmz, by wiping up the sauce with at least 5 pieces of assorted (complimentary) bread.
The toilets were really nicely decorated, but were confusing as to which gender should go where, as evidenced by an Italian couple screwing it up.
Still, it amused me as I enjoyed my post-prandial burpage.
Yum.

#108439 - 10 Feb 10 05:46 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Marmalade]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
sounds great, italian food is among my favourite. but i shall await the opening of their jaksa branch.

#108522 - 12 Feb 10 10:10 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

Maybe in 2025 kkkc

#108530 - 12 Feb 10 15:20 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Marmalade]
Stranger Offline
Member+

Loc: Indonesia
i like italian food, but i don't wait on things.

#108550 - 13 Feb 10 12:38 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Stranger]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

#109104 - 16 Mar 10 12:37 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Cupid Offline
Member++

Loc: Jl. Wahid Hasyim

Italian Restaurant "Capocaccia"

Every break of the day is a moment to dedicate yourself to the pleasure of meeting people, eating and drinking. Capocaccia Sandwich and Bar offers guests a chance to enjoy high quality food, a good ambience, and excellent services. Born in 1979 in Milan, the capital of Panini, Capocaccia become a famous restaurant offering authentic Italian Panini at their first outlet in Monte Carlo.

Capocaccia presents the best original Panini recipes, accompanied with various cold plates, and delicious homemade desserts. Capocaccia adjusts to a bar at night, offering selections of special Italian cocktails accompanied by great selections of music. Located in the heart of Sudirman Central Business District at the Pacific Place Mall Jakarta, Capocaccia is ready to offer customers prompt service throughout the day. Come soon to experience Capocaccia …

#109106 - 16 Mar 10 12:51 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Cupid]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

If this was written by an expat, they sure weren't a native English speaker.

Edited by Marmalade (16 Mar 10 12:52)
Edit Reason: stupidity

#109109 - 16 Mar 10 13:09 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Marmalade]
Pooh Bah

perhaps it was an italian ...

#109134 - 17 Mar 10 15:17 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Marmalade]
Donna_D Offline
Member+++

Loc: J-town
did u wash your hands? cool washtafel eh?

#109135 - 17 Mar 10 15:30 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Donna_D]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

Of course I did, yeah. It weirded me out a little at first.

#109137 - 17 Mar 10 16:00 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Marmalade]
Pooh Bah

why? pissing lions?

#109138 - 17 Mar 10 16:36 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

Got it one, Ku. No, it is a slab of marble.

#110740 - 26 May 10 15:39 Re: TOSCANA, Kemang Raya [Re: Marmalade]
Riibond Offline
Member+

Loc: jakarta
Hmm.. it's not so expensive after all.. has anyone tried it?

Moderator:  NetCop