Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87456 - 13 Oct 08 20:07 When will Pertamina do the same?
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Loc: Somebody's watching me......
U.S. gasoline price marks biggest drop ever: survey

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The average price of a gallon of gasoline in the United States recorded its largest drop ever as consumer demand continued to wane and oil prices slid, a prominent industry analyst said on Sunday.

The national average price for self-serve, regular unleaded gas fell 35.03 cents to $3.3079 a gallon on October 10 from $3.6582 two weeks earlier, according to the nationwide Lundberg Survey.

It was the lowest national average price since March 21, 2008. Since peaking at $4.1124 on July 11, the average cost of a gallon of gas has receded by 80.45 cents. Diesel fuel fell 21 cents to $3.95 a gallon, the first time since March that it has been below $4.00 a gallon.

"Plummeting oil prices and caving gasoline demand have combined to bring the biggest retail gasoline price cut in the history of the market," Trilby Lundberg, who compiles the survey, said in an interview. "We've been doing this 58 years. This is truly the biggest price drop."

On Friday, fears of a global recession helped drive down U.S. crude oil futures prices more than 10 percent to the lowest settlement since September 2007. U.S. crude for November delivery settled on Friday at $77.70 a barrel, down $8.89, or 10.27 percent, on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Meanwhile, travel on all U.S. roads fell 3.6 percent, or nearly 10 billion vehicle miles in July, compared with the same period last year, according to the most recent figures provided by the Transportation Department. It was the ninth straight month of declining driving activity.

HOW LOW CAN THEY GO?

Lundberg said the average gasoline price could fall below $3.00 a gallon as early as December.

"If crude oil prices don't spike, we can expect further price cutting for two reasons," Lundberg said. "Gasoline demand will continue to shrink in our weak economic condition, and retailers, who have been receiving deep buying price cuts, will be anxious to pass through any further price cuts they receive quickly. They need the sales."

According to the Lundberg survey, drivers in Honolulu paid an average of $3.91 a gallon for unleaded gas, the highest price in the nation. The Wichita, Kansas, region had the lowest average price, at $2.79 a gallon.

The Lundberg survey evaluates prices at about 5,000 gas stations.

The only Faith that people really have to lose, is faith in themselves...........

#87458 - 13 Oct 08 21:05 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I don't think Pertamina should lower fuel prices. It can't afford the subsidy, which essentially is a tax break for the well off--that is people who consume more.

#87537 - 14 Oct 08 23:29 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: Piss Salon]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Quoting: Piss Salon
I don't think Pertamina should lower fuel prices. It can't afford the subsidy, which essentially is a tax break for the well off--that is people who consume more.

You don't really have a clue do you? In your own little mindless world and not looking at the existing rules.....

The only Faith that people really have to lose, is faith in themselves...........

#87547 - 15 Oct 08 09:00 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

You could always try explaining it instead of being a twat. The government spends something like US$20 billion on fuel and electricity subsidies.

#87548 - 15 Oct 08 09:03 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Quote:
You don't really have a clue do you? In your own little mindless world and not looking at the existing rules.....

FACTS!

In 2006 oil output was just over 1 million bpd, but during 2007 this figure dropped to approximately 964,000 bpd with a slight pick up being observed during the first half of this year, still not enough to get to the 1 million bpd mark that BP Migas is claiming they can achieve.

It is estimated that Indonesia needs a production figure of 1.46 million bpd to keep the country running, which using today’s production figures creates a shortfall off almost 500,000 bpd.

Even if production figures could be increased to reach this volume, Indonesia’s current refining capability is only about 72% (1.05 million bpd) of the daily usage, accordingly, 28% of Indonesia’s daily fuel is imported.

Lowering fuel prices is impractical, unless of course you are someone who would wish to run Indonesia down to its knee's!

I wonder where the mindlessness comes from?

#87550 - 15 Oct 08 09:23 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: Dilli]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
Pertamina sets the prices of fuels at the pumps and to industry every 2 weks,.. i.e 1st and 15th of the month, the prices have been coming down in line with global market prices for industry and for unsubsidised fuels at the pumps i.e pertamax and pertamax plus,.. premium is still at 6,000 rp per litre and will remain so for the foreseen future.

(George Bernard Shaw)

#87573 - 15 Oct 08 16:53 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: Dilli]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Quoting: Dilli
Quote:

FACTS!

In 2006 oil output was just over 1 million bpd, but during 2007 this figure dropped to approximately 964,000 bpd with a slight pick up being observed during the first half of this year, still not enough to get to the 1 million bpd mark that BP Migas is claiming they can achieve.

It is estimated that Indonesia needs a production figure of 1.46 million bpd to keep the country running, which using today’s production figures creates a shortfall off almost 500,000 bpd.

Even if production figures could be increased to reach this volume, Indonesia’s current refining capability is only about 72% (1.05 million bpd) of the daily usage, accordingly, 28% of Indonesia’s daily fuel is imported.

Lowering fuel prices is impractical, unless of course you are someone who would wish to run Indonesia down to its knee's!

I wonder where the mindlessness comes from?

And this is why Pertamina officials are on TV ONE now talking about how they would like to lower the fuels prices but with the current oil prices compbined with the current interest rates and the instability of the oil producers in the ME and the instability fo the future then they better keep them where they are.

All yuo have to do is loo at the past prices and the oil per barrel prices and figure it out or you could just sit and wait for the quarterly profit figures from Pertamina.

#87574 - 15 Oct 08 17:23 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Methinks one does not understand the industry in it's entirety.

It's obvious that looking in from the outside everything looks like it is controlled by Pertamina, but, as is the case anywhere else in the world it's governments who control the pump price based on tax revenue they can extort!

The officials from Pertamina have no say in it whatsoever.

#87575 - 15 Oct 08 17:24 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

After 30 years in this shitty business I may know something about it!

#87577 - 15 Oct 08 19:04 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: Dilli]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Why would anyone stay in a business for 30 YEARS that they themselves call shitty?

Edited by viperaberushitam (15 Oct 08 19:11)

#87578 - 15 Oct 08 19:11 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Because it makes him exceedingly wealthy. That and the fact women dig it.

#87579 - 15 Oct 08 19:12 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: Piss Salon]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Well at least principles are involved in the decision making process........

#87580 - 15 Oct 08 19:13 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: Piss Salon]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

And why do you do what you do? The mega-bucks, the women or the inner drive to be the best you can in a given field?

#87581 - 15 Oct 08 19:15 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Oh well, if they are not going to lower this petrol price then I am just going to buy a diesel where I can fill up with the cheap subsidized diesel.........

Oh yeah, that's right, it's already on the sea on the way over, delivery due mid Nov. Subsidized diesel IDR 5,500 per liter here I come.......

#87583 - 15 Oct 08 19:53 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: viperaberushitam

Why would anyone stay in a business for 30 YEARS that they themselves call shitty?

ummm .... yeeessss ....

#87584 - 15 Oct 08 21:24 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Polisi Cepek Offline
Member*

Loc: Di tengah hutan
Better watch out with that diesel. Used to be cheaper than regular petrol in Australia, then the government changed policy and now it's much more expensive. Plus unless things have changed technology-wise, diesel exhaust (bigger chunks of soot) causes more deaths from respiratory illness in cities, it's only a matter of time before it's banned for sale in town (perhaps with exceptions of trucks and buses). Along with two-stroke motorbikes dammit, that's well overdue.

#87591 - 15 Oct 08 22:06 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: Polisi Cepek]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Quoting: Polisi Cepek
Better watch out with that diesel. Used to be cheaper than regular petrol in Australia, then the government changed policy and now it's much more expensive. Plus unless things have changed technology-wise, diesel exhaust (bigger chunks of soot) causes more deaths from respiratory illness in cities, it's only a matter of time before it's banned for sale in town (perhaps with exceptions of trucks and buses). Along with two-stroke motorbikes dammit, that's well overdue.

I'll take my chances with the diesel here, they will stop the subsidy for premium before they stop the subsidy for diesel and the engine coming in my new car is a Euro II engine specifically made for this cheap diesel. The CEO of VW Indonesia selling the car to me said they warrant the car totally even with the Pertimina subsidized diesel. As for this VW, I would put it up against any emissions checks with any diesel out there on the street now.

#87595 - 16 Oct 08 00:48 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jak
I am happy to have my car because it is cheaper financially but is fucking the world over.

#87599 - 16 Oct 08 01:43 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: Marmalade]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Quoting: Marmalade
I am happy to have my car because it is cheaper financially but is fucking the world over.

Well pay it back to the world in a different way.......

#87603 - 16 Oct 08 09:48 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Times must be tough at VW Indonesia when the CEO is flogging cars!

#87613 - 16 Oct 08 11:40 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: chewwyUK]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: chewwyUK

I was going to say it. I was going to say it.

#87643 - 16 Oct 08 16:16 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: chewwyUK]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Maybe he is the CEO because as the CEO, he realizes what it takes to be a good salesman, no job is beneath you......

Remember guys, no one asks their staff to do a job they would not do themselves, even here in Indonesia.

Besides, when I am talking about a car that specs out at over 1.4 billion IDR before discount I want to talk to the head guy when I am talking that much money especially if it is MY money and if the CEO had not gotten involved I would have never got the 15% discount he gave me on the final price and in the end he would not have gotten the final sale........

#87644 - 16 Oct 08 16:47 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

That 1.4 billion car will no doubt serve you well in the streets of Jakarta.

#87645 - 16 Oct 08 17:06 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: chewwyUK]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

That 1.4 billion car will no doubt serve you well in the streets of Jakarta.

Everyone has their vices Chewwy, mine are cars with a smooth ride and lots of options, I don't buy a car like this to give the keys to a driver for him to enjoy the experience, personally haven't had a driver in Jakarta for more than 12 years and from the experiences I have heard about you and your numerous house gates, neither have you......

I have always thought that if you can afford your true vices and not just the substitute ones, then your half way there......

#87647 - 16 Oct 08 17:16 Re: When will Pertamina do the same? [Re: viperaberushitam]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I guess you would have to be a car person .... My APV does me a treat which tells you how much i care about what i drive

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop