Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84320 - 14 Aug 08 10:15 Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali

Yesterday I got a call to say a new Pie shop had opened in Kemang so I set off to seek and find, here are the results,

Aussie Gusto, Jl Kemang Timur Raya No. 45B, Jak Sel.

Tel 7197178

Free Delivery

They have a Great range of Authentic Aussie Pies

Original Meat, Steak'n'Mushroom, Chicken,Black Pepper, Curry and Veggie Pies, sausage rolls

They have a selection of Breads and cakes including lamingtons

Pies are 20,000rp each

Mr Cheww and I sampled the Black Pepper meat Pie,.Really Good and I had a curry one also,.. Excellent

Owner is a young Aussie gGuy, Andrew White

Try it out,... you won't be dissapointed

Bob

(George Bernard Shaw)

#84321 - 14 Aug 08 10:19 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: Balibob]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
looks like i'll have to invest in a microwave oven ...

#84322 - 14 Aug 08 10:25 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
You'll end up an even fatter bastard Bob doing all these surveys!

#84323 - 14 Aug 08 11:09 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: Dilli]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
Quoting: Dilli
You'll end up an even fatter bastard Bob doing all these surveys!

I am trying to catch up with Mr Cheww and we are NOT Fat bastards,.. Just Pleasantly Plump

So FUCK OFF

(George Bernard Shaw)

#84324 - 14 Aug 08 11:12 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: Balibob]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Raw Nerve?

#84327 - 14 Aug 08 11:46 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: Dilli]
bulegaul Offline
Member++

Loc: Batavia
Isnt Andrew White that sinetron actor who is the son in law of Lydia Kandau one of the best "senior" actors in Indonesia.

And wasnt he just recently in the news, about maybe having an incorrect working visa for Indonesia (His dad is Australian) when the immigrasi where looking for new handouts from mixed blooded celebrities.

Attachments
andrew_white.jpg

Edited by bulegaul (14 Aug 08 11:51)

#84330 - 14 Aug 08 12:10 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: bulegaul]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Well -- thanks for reminding me I had a curry pie in the fridge. I quick blast in the microwave and it was ready to go! Bloody great .. although the black pepper pie from yesterday was better

What ate all the pies? I did!

#84332 - 14 Aug 08 12:13 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: chewwyUK]
bulegaul Offline
Member++

You can buy real aussie pies (four n twenty brand) at Kemchicks pacific place, but 120,000 for a packet of 4.

#84333 - 14 Aug 08 12:23 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: bulegaul]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: bulegaul
You can buy real aussie pies (four n twenty brand) at Kemchicks pacific place, but 120,000 for a packet of 4.

Daylight robbery, given that Four'N Twenty brand pies are supposed to be cheap food for the poor masses. The Australian culinary equivalent of a Rp3,500 bungkus of nasi gravel, sayuran and gorengan.

#84334 - 14 Aug 08 12:23 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: bulegaul]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I'd rather eat a pastry full of vomit for that price (err, emm, wait a minute, thats what Aussie Pies are anyway)

#84335 - 14 Aug 08 12:27 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

well I for one kuku can highly recommend the Aussie pies for 20K .. they are a great pie

#84336 - 14 Aug 08 12:28 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: Dilli]
bulegaul Offline
Member++

The sausage rolls, with the extra 20% length.. cost about 60 thousand each. The regular sized were about 40 thousand. (now I have to get my mind out of the gutter)

#84337 - 14 Aug 08 12:32 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: chewwyUK]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Few things are better than a good meat pie made from quality beef, but Four'N Twenty are notorious for containing plenty of pulverized gristle, ears, eyelids, noses and testicles.

Chewwy, have you tried the lamingtons from Aussie Gusto?

#84338 - 14 Aug 08 12:36 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: kenyeung]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

No but they are certainly on my hit list .... I probably havent had a lamington in over 10 years

#84339 - 14 Aug 08 12:46 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

WTF is a Lamington when it's at home?

#84342 - 14 Aug 08 13:00 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Lamington is the most Australian cake you can get .. More Australian than the Pavlova (bugger off piss it's Australian not a kiwi invention).

basically its a square sponge covered in a very thin layer of chocolate and the showered in coconut .. bloody great they are

#84345 - 14 Aug 08 13:02 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Dilli
WTF is a Lamington when it's at home?

philistine.

#84346 - 14 Aug 08 13:05 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: chewwyUK]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

All this talk of lamingtons ... just called up and ordered black pepper steak pie and a lamington

#84347 - 14 Aug 08 13:08 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Still does not answer my question

#84348 - 14 Aug 08 13:08 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: chewwyUK]
Bill Brasky Offline
Member+

Loc: Singapore
I caught a bad case of Lamington from a toilet seat once.
lambert

#84349 - 14 Aug 08 13:11 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: chewwyUK]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: chewwyUK
All this talk of lamingtons ... just called up and ordered black pepper steak pie and a lamington

you mean they will deliver just that for no extra charge??

#84351 - 14 Aug 08 13:13 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: Bill Brasky]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Okay -- let me try to answer ....

Lamingtons is a sponge cake (or, more traditionally, butter cake) in the shape of a cube, coated in a layer of traditionally chocolate icing then desiccated coconut. They are sometimes served as two halves with a layer of cream and/or strawberry jam between, and are commonly found in Australian outlets such as coffee lounges, lunch bars, bakeries, and supermarkets. The strawberry variety is more common in New Zealand, while a lemon variety has been encountered in Australia. [1]

The chocolate coating is a thin mixture, into which cubes of sponge cake (one cookbook states 4 cm per side) are dipped, and the chocolate is absorbed into the outermost layers of the sponge where it sets. (Similarly, the strawberry jam or chocolate icing is absorbed into the sponge.) The cubes are then covered with coconut and left to set.

They have traditionally been popular as fund raisers for Australian youth groups such as Scouts, Guides and churches. These annual events are termed "Lamington drives." They can be on a large scale with dozens of helpers. The cake is supplied by commercial bakeries in large slabs and cut into about 40mm cubes. Teams of volunteers work together, dipping the cake into the chocolate icing and rolling it in the coconut. Generally they are packaged up into one dozen lots for distribution within communities which have been solicited for orders ahead of time. In the early twenty first century these type of community bonding events are becoming obstructed by food handling regulations. Commercial entrepreneurs have also produced "branded" alternatives. In Australia, they are seen as a typical Australia Day food.

Lamingtons are most likely named after Charles Cochrane-Baillie, 2nd Baron Lamington, who served as Governor of Queensland from 1896 to 1901. However, the precise reasoning behind this is not known, and stories vary. According to one account, the dessert resembled the homburg hats favoured by Lord Lamington. Another tells of a banquet in Cloncurry during which the governor accidentally dropped a block of sponge cake into a dish of gravy, and then threw it over his shoulder, causing it to land in a bowl of desiccated coconut or peanut butter. A diner thought of replacing the gravy with chocolate and thusly created the lamington known today.[2]

A 1981 report in the Brisbane Courier Mail states the following: A colleague ... swears this is really how the lamington came about. At one stage when Baron Lamington was Queensland Governor, there was a large amount of stale cake in the Government House kitchen. In an attempt to make it palatable, the cake was dipped in chocolate and then tossed in desiccated coconut. The parliamentarians liked this 'gateau' and ordered their cooks to obtain the recipe from the Government House cook.

Ironically, Lord Lamington was known to have hated the dessert that had been named in his honour, once referring to them as "those bloody poofy woolly biscuits".[2]

Most of these reports amount to hearsay, and some border on the absurd. The most probable version of events surrounds the visit of Lord Lamington and his entourage to Toowoomba's Harlaxton House. An industrious cook, lacking some ingredients, came up with the "lamington". Tea and lamingtons are part of the festivities that follow Australian Citizenship ceremonies.

Friday 21 July 2006 was designated as National Lamington Day in Australia.

#84352 - 14 Aug 08 13:14 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
Quoting: chewwyUK

you mean they will deliver just that for no extra charge??

Not sure if they will to Jln Jaksa but they do to my office

#84354 - 14 Aug 08 13:17 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Lamingtons, you can keep them, I'm with the inventor here..."those bloody poofy woolly biscuits"

#84369 - 14 Aug 08 20:55 Re: Aussie Gusto, Australian Pies & Bakery [Re: Dilli]
viperaberushitam Offline
Member**

Loc: Somebody's watching me......
Wife and I dropped by and picked up a quick dinner from AG, quite tasty, she had the Curry and I had the Black Pepper with a sausage roll ont he side. Sausage roll was excellent and the Black Pepper was good as well. Wife tasted the Black Peper and compared the Curry with it. Her feeling is they are using the same base and then putting the preferred seasoning in with that according to what they are making, but then what does an Indonesian and an American know about Aussies Pies, wide did grab their menu and card fro home delivery as it is only 5 minutes away from the house......

The only Faith that people really have to lose, is faith in themselves...........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop