Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38590 - 15 Dec 06 04:03 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Jazz Offline

Loc: Earth
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
Quoting: xsbir

as a good muslim, i know you will also recall that Allah has determined that "one male is the equivalent of two females". this is the natural order. this is the way Allah meant life to be. this is fundamental to the islamic worldview,

I do hope you are joking. This sounds like something out of the 19th century.

If this is really the Islamic worldview today in the 21st century, is it not diametrically opposed to Western notions of equality between the sexes? All religions are probably to some extent sexist, but I didn't really think Islam was that backwards.

no, i'm not joking. what i describe is islam as it is. nothing more, nothing less. religions like islam do not "progress"; they are fixed in time, with their texts being the final and indisputable word of god. thus, to the modern liberal westerner, islam is most certainly "backward".

as for polygamy, i don't really see this as a wholly religious issue, but more of a private lifestyle matter.

Since you see polygamy is more of a private lifestyle matter, you do not mind sharing your wife with other men, I guess.

#38593 - 15 Dec 06 04:11 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Jazz]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i seriously suggest everyone read this:

http://jakchat.com/public/polygamy/4yearitch.htm

i scanned and OCRed it from an article i picked up from a university library in 1984. at the time, i was actually heavily into animal behaviour adn zoology, and this article crossed that path for some reason that i now forget.

#38596 - 15 Dec 06 04:16 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Polar Bear]
Jazz Offline

Quoting: Polar Bear
Quoting: chewwyUK
Well I have never been married so I am no expert but it seems to me the main reason people get married is because they dont want to end up old and alone. It is not easy to just be with the one person for the rest of your life ... just take a look at the divorce rates. IMHO the decision should be a personal choice. If the guy and the wives and happy with the situation then why should anybody else care?

Chewwy, that "Old and Lonely" crap is spread by women.

single guys are a scarce commodity at any age. Stay single, you wont be lonely!!!!!

Just wait and see!

#38597 - 15 Dec 06 04:31 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Jazz]
Pooh Bah

I quote from Helen E. Fisher:

"Four years may be the length of our ancestral, biological "breeding season." Scientists have observed that among the traditional !Kung Bushmen, women tended to nurse their infants for three or four years. And because !Kung mothers breast-fed regularly throughout the day and night, as well as offered their breasts as pacifiers, ovulation and subsequent pregnancy were postponed; births were about four years apart. Births are spaced about four years apart among groups of Australian aborigines, too. These data have led scientists to suggest that four-year intervals were the natural pattern of birth spacing among our forebears. Human brain physiology for infatuation and attachment also seems to fit this interval. So here is my theory: Perhaps, like serial monogamy in robins, foxes, and other species that mate only for a breeding season, the human pair bond originally evolved to last long enough to raise a single child through infancy. The seven-year itch, recast as a four-year human reproductive cycle, may be a biological phenomenon."

#38614 - 15 Dec 06 22:51 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

he seven year cycle does exist, and it is to do with human development. We develop in 7 year cycyles.

From birth to 7 we are helpless, without parent assistance we will die. We cannot hunt for food. Our judgement is poor, our bodies cannot stand the pace on tribal living.

From 7- 14 we are capable of self existence, our judgement is rash but we are capable of making decisions. Our bodies firm up, muscles develop, we can keep pace with the tribe. Typically in the Victorian era UK children were sent to boarding school (or even work) at the age of seven. Good pianists etc start playing at 7. Today, marketing campaigns begin target audience at 7. This is the age when children begin to say – “I want that”.

From 14-21 we are productive. Our minds are very receptive, our bodies develop with training and exercise. Swimming and sporting achievements start at this time. Our schooling, up to graduation from university, occurs at this time. Our interest is sex develops at this time. Men are there most sexually interested about mid way in this band. Semen spurts further at this age band than any other.

From 21 – 28 we develop independent lifestyles. We meet partners, acquire possessions, develop friends (the old tribal mentality), and develop a career. We are at our most productive.

And so it goes on, up until 70-77 when we die.

Life is a series of 7 year bands.

#38615 - 15 Dec 06 22:54 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Jazz]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Jazz,

I BET you are a woman.......

#38617 - 15 Dec 06 23:25 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Polar Bear]
Pooh Bah

Jazz,

d'oh! smile

#38620 - 16 Dec 06 00:13 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: KuKuKaChu]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Loc: The Big Durian
i seriously suggest everyone read this:

http://jakchat.com/public/polygamy/4yearitch.htm

i scanned and OCRed it from an article i picked up from a university library in 1984. at the time, i was actually heavily into animal behaviour adn zoology, and this article crossed that path for some reason that i now forget.

Interesting article sir but methinks thou dost digress. From what I understand, it doesn't provide much support for polygamy but rather for your contention that monogamy "ain't natural."

It does state, however, that monogamy is more likely among older people-Human beings are certainly capable of enduring relationships, particularly as they age. There ya go girls, if you want a monogamous mate, best to go for old geezers like PB grin.

#38622 - 16 Dec 06 00:18 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: xsbir]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Excess, I am proof that the rgumet is bullshit. I shagged 134 girls in 5 years after my divorce. I have photos, emails, SMS, and my pubic hair colelction to prove it. smile smile smile

and I am 34.

Average age on this site is about 60.

#38623 - 16 Dec 06 00:25 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Polar Bear]
Pooh Bah

and I am 34.

you really need to work on your English tenses. you "were" 34. once. 21 years ago ...

#38633 - 16 Dec 06 03:17 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
and I am 34.

you really need to work on your English tenses. you "were" 34. once. 21 years ago ...

grin ..... I never thought that this discussion will be great, anyway what I said before? Hmm what if I have more than 1 husband? laugh

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#38635 - 16 Dec 06 03:26 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Polar Bear]
Jazz Offline

Jazz,

#38636 - 16 Dec 06 03:32 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Polar Bear]
Jazz Offline

Jazz,

How sure?

#38637 - 16 Dec 06 03:35 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Polar Bear]
Jazz Offline

Excess, I am proof that the rgumet is bullshit. I shagged 134 girls in 5 years after my divorce. I have photos, emails, SMS, and my pubic hair colelction to prove it. smile smile smile

and I am 34.

Average age on this site is about 60.

Yeah right!

#38638 - 16 Dec 06 03:40 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Jazz]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Jazz, up to you honey.......

#61547 - 19 Sep 07 14:37 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: Polar Bear]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
And now for more of the same...

#61548 - 19 Sep 07 14:53 Re: ANT/Indonesia mulls expanding ban on polygamy [Re: kenyeung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: kenyeung
And now for more of the same...

Jazz can't be all bad - he/she thinks that Hilton is a waste of a wank - good enough for me

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop