Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48835 - 01 Apr 07 21:52 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: dolphin]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quoting: dolphin
Quoting: Roy's hair
listen mate you haven't lived 'til you've had a Pappa's curry

pappa's curry nice. i like it :P

you mean, Papa's cafe ???

ohhh...I met alot of young girls there..was hangout start at 10am to wheneever they want..until she find a bule that can date with her smile I

#48859 - 02 Apr 07 11:58 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
Quoting: Jokie Jokie Girl
Quoting: dolphin
Quoting: Roy's hair
listen mate you haven't lived 'til you've had a Pappa's curry

pappa's curry nice. i like it :P

you mean, Papa's cafe ???

ohhh...I met alot of young girls there..was hangout start at 10am to wheneever they want..until she find a bule that can date with her smile I

yes pappas curry its nice n also cheap wink

#48930 - 04 Apr 07 01:05 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: dolphin]
Yes Offline
Member++

Loc: Bali, Indonesia
i for one dont get the ideal behind snubbing a place because it is frequented by "working class" or the poorer of society.

i can guarentee you that:

1. i will definantly visit jalan jaksa

2. i am far from a "poor bule"

and 3, that any girl whos too stuck up to be seen there, is missing out...

i have had some of my most memorable nights in the seediest of places

#48936 - 04 Apr 07 06:58 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Yes]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
I'd rather get stuck into a Pappa's curry than some of the birds who frequent the place. Absolute slap-fest it is.

#48943 - 04 Apr 07 09:20 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Roy's Hair]
sloopy Offline
Member+

Loc: very bad part of town
I'd rather get stuck into a Pappa's curry than some of the birds who frequent the place. Absolute slap-fest it is.

I guess no more tsunami strikes then... LOL

#48990 - 05 Apr 07 00:54 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: sloopy]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

he he...!

#49010 - 05 Apr 07 11:41 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Roy's Hair]
Polisi Cepek Offline
Member*

Loc: Di tengah hutan
tsunami strikes? What kind of cryptic in-joking is this? Out with the juicy details!

#49066 - 05 Apr 07 21:15 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Polisi Cepek]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think I may have claimed to be having a Tsunami in my underwear during one Pappa's expedition. Probably just the beer goggles though.

#49069 - 05 Apr 07 21:36 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Roy's Hair]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
if Tsunami in your underwear..it's mean local Tsunami grin

#49114 - 06 Apr 07 09:32 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: JHVH1]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand
Quoting: JHVH1
Quoting: wallet digga'
btw..i went to a dance club called "tanamur" in tanah abang a few times when i visited jakarta. they got very good musics..kinda a bit wild..but its great, i really liked it! hope its still there, i'd really love to go again...

That's a gay venue, innit?
[

No I used to hang out there in the Early 90,s Was a long way from being a Gay hang-out

#49115 - 06 Apr 07 09:35 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Indon asli]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand
Quoting: Indon asli
I knew about jalan jaksa is from jakchat!

I lived in Jakarta for 4 years 1991-1995, Frequented every known watering hole ,Never heard of Jalan Jaksa back then

Edited by Diyu (06 Apr 07 09:36)

#49136 - 06 Apr 07 12:36 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Diyu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Diyu, it's really hard to believe that you "Frequented every known watering hole ,Never heard of Jalan Jaksa back then"

If you did 'frequent every watering hole' in the early 90s, you surely would have been to Angie's or The Borneo or Pappa's cafe. Maybe you were taken there and just didn't know what the name of the street was at the time. Jaksa is located less than a mile from Tanamur....

BTW Tanamur went downhill from the late 90s onward and did indeed have a big Gay/Banci element move in, before finally - mercifully - dying a slow death.

#49137 - 06 Apr 07 12:42 Re: Indonesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I dug this up from the JP Archive... It's any interesting perspective on Jaksa that few people understand. Does anyone know who this writer, Bryant, is?? I guess he doesn't know or understand that Simon was just having a bit fun with his wording, but nonetheless an fresh perspective by this fella.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Individuals forming community
Friday, August 05, 2005

Simon Pitchforth's article on Jl. Jaksa (The Jakarta Post's Sunday edition, July 24) did little more than perpetuate the stereotypical perceptions of this celebrated and notorious street. His whimsical portrayals of Jaksa inhabitants indicate that he has spent little time talking to them and much time judging them. Since his idea of fun is to bring his own friends and completely take over a small restaurant, I can only assume he prefers judging people to meeting them.

Not all the visitors to Jaksa are tie-dyed hippies. Not all the expats are "on the slide". The ladies are definitely not all "dentally challenged". Their smiles are wide and bright, despite their often tragic histories.

The "overly-optimistic blowpipe salesman" also happens to be a kind, gentle, intelligent, well-respected man who is always ready to help a friend or a stranger. If it weren't for draconian customs laws, he would sell dozens of his well-crafted blowpipes at the reasonable price he asks.

There is also a man on Jl. Jaksa who is some kind of parking attendant. He is quirky, possibly autistic, and can speak just about any language you can throw at him. I have met a former professor who now dedicates his life to picking up litter, a former hit-man who now teaches at a primary school, a foreign millionaire who lives in squalor alongside the railway tracks, and many other characters who are drawn to Jl. Jaksa for one reason: it is the only place in Jakarta where individuality is truly celebrated.

Unity in diversity sounds good on a coat of arms or a coin, but where is it really practiced in Indonesia? Community with conformity would be a more fitting motto in most cases. The sense of community in Indonesia is strong, and should be celebrated. But in this post-Soeharto era, with the nation fumbling towards freedom and democracy, it is time to also celebrate the diversity within the community. Not just the diversity of races and religions, but of ideas and lifestyles.

The majority of conflict in Indonesia is sparked by one group opposing another, and there are so many groups (and groups within groups) that is impossible to memorize all the initials used in a single edition of The Jakarta Post.

The large groups shout while the smaller groups whisper in darkened rooms behind closed doors. The voice of the individual with an independent viewpoint is barely heard, rarely heeded, and more than likely to get the individual in trouble with the herds.

The characters who inhabit Jl. Jaksa are not wearing it down. They are propping up the last bastion of independence against the forces that rail against it. They are people who took their freedom instead of waiting for some authority to grant it with forms filed in triplicate.

They are individuals working together to form a community, as opposed to a community working to absorb individuals.

BRAD BRYANT Melbourne-Australia

#49140 - 06 Apr 07 13:15 Re: Indonesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Yeah! I remember this letter. I was very proud. This guy protests too much me thinks. I reckon he married a Jaksa hag.

#49144 - 06 Apr 07 17:00 Re: Indonesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Roy's Hair]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Don't get steamed up Brad, I love Jaksa really

#49159 - 07 Apr 07 02:33 Re: Indonesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Roy's Hair]
kareltjuhh belanda Offline
Member+

Loc: belanda
very good comment from Brad in The Jakarta Post. It just about strikes the nail on it's head. JJ is just ahead in time and a perfect example of how people can be together in peace no matter what religion, colour, race or sexual preference they might have.

#49167 - 07 Apr 07 09:03 Re: Indonesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: kareltjuhh belanda]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

not so sure about the peace bit but they are indeed together

#49174 - 07 Apr 07 13:48 Re: Indonesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Roy's Hair,
Do you know this Brad Bryant? He seems to know his way around the street a bit, so it would seem he's probably a "regular", but I've never met him as far as know... perhaps someone does.

#49178 - 07 Apr 07 15:08 Re: Indonesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

never met the guy. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke. He claims to live in Melbourne though. Bit far to come for a beer.

#49305 - 10 Apr 07 20:54 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: kareltjuhh belanda]
andrea Offline

Loc: jakarta utara
I like Jalan Jaksa coz of the cheap beer and food. Other than that, it's just an ordinary street with hookers in every corner.

#49345 - 11 Apr 07 13:53 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: andrea]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
Quoting: andrea
I like Jalan Jaksa coz of the cheap beer and food. Other than that, it's just an ordinary street with hookers in every corner.

LoL

#49516 - 15 Apr 07 16:25 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: dolphin]
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
I just got back from jakarta and singapore, and its true my husband didnt want to go there.To Jaksa or blok m I mean. The closest I got was pondok indah and then we visited some friends out near cinere, where they have built a very nice mosque.
Found a FAB pakistani restaurant -kinda near JIS? Well you drive past jis anyway..Its called aneka bubur. It has THE best curry ever.
I cant believe how much jakarta is changed.Its great now!
Atrium is totally full of "bule" -they look the dodgy ones to me-I don't think they are staying long ..ahem.
I am seriously considering a possible move to jakarta.I think it is loads more liveable than before. Senen is really much quieter( kalilio). Pasar baru has heaps more bikes, but still ok for living. NO worries!!!
LOL at the busway though.

..take only what you need..

#49517 - 15 Apr 07 19:10 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Ena]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
hey! you came to jakarta and you didn't drop into jaksa?! shame on you! jakarta has certainly changed in many ways over the past few years. those of us living here all the time probably don't notice it as much because of the incremental way that change happens.

most of the blame/credit for this can be laid a the feet of bang yos (governor sutioso), who has railroaded through many infrastructure projects. also there has been a high-rise building boom over the past 2 years especially, which has altered the jakarta skyline somewhat (presuming the smog lifts and you can actually see anything).

#49518 - 15 Apr 07 19:25 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
plus theres a law about seatbelts!! wtf? haha

..take only what you need..

#49520 - 15 Apr 07 21:32 Re: Indoesian girl ashamed to be seen at jaksa [Re: Ena]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Ena
plus theres a law about seatbelts!! wtf? haha

yep. and laws about smoking, too.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  NetCop