Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47195 - 10 Mar 07 08:30 Value for Money
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Loc: Tegal
As I get older, my criteria for a bar gets loser than Tanamur rent boy's cornhole. A few things I look for, music not too loud, sports if need be and cheap beer. Living in the part of Asia that I do, this is pretty doable, bars are a dime a dozen and the suds cheap. However, when we go visit the wife's family in Jakarta and I manage to slip the religious police for a night on the tiles, the prices are often enough to make me cringe. Reading the Jaksa thread, I remembered basing myself in Memories in 2003 (back when your correspondent was a swinging-dick bachelor), but that place holds the ghosts of a few too many ex-girlfriends past. So, where does a guy like me go for a cold brain-tonic and to watch the EPL? Is there even such a beast as the DD sports bar in Kuta where you are summoned to enjoy "bloody cold beer, mate, fuckin bagus", for around a buck? Inquiring minds want to know.

#47209 - 10 Mar 07 21:28 Re: Value for Money [Re: JHVH1]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
well, there is the relatively new absolute bar, in jalan jaksa of course (is there anywhere else?). beer, sports, eats, reasonable prices.

only down factor is the increasing number of sleazy clingons and hangers-on -- TTM, friends and family of bar staff -- who seem to think they own the place.

hmmm. maybe they do.

#47215 - 10 Mar 07 23:46 Re: Value for Money [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Hmmm --- cant see you dumping in to any ex-gf in Romance bar in jalan jaksa. Beers are the cheapest i have seen in Jakarta. Small bar, dont think i have ever seen a woman in there and all the football you could want.

If you really want to get away from Jaksa try Cazbar for you football .... crowed starting to build but still what i would call a do not disturb me i am watching football pub.

#47219 - 10 Mar 07 23:55 Re: Value for Money [Re: chewwyUK]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Chewwy. Its the whole street, the bush telegraph that runs from one end to the other. I'm not game to go there since her friends might see me and let her know. If I am not mistaken, Cazbar is in Senayan, right?

#47220 - 11 Mar 07 00:03 Re: Value for Money [Re: JHVH1]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
mega kuningan ---- Its another Bart Bar so you know what you are getting and Jasper seems to be doing a good job of managing it

#47223 - 11 Mar 07 00:08 Re: Value for Money [Re: chewwyUK]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Cheers, will check it out. Not much drinking planned for the next trip tho as I am staying with the in-laws out in Bogor.

Moderator:  NetCop