Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30866 - 30 May 06 10:42 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by Sausage Master Polar Bear:
The sudden loss of a friend can have serious effects upon our outlook and well being. Life is a tenuous thing, and we usually fail to appreciate how brief it really is.

Although everyone handles situations differently, there are a number of stages that we normally go through upon hearing of the loss of someone we know. Shock, disbelief, grief, blame, are all emotions that will go through our mind.

If we try to contain these thoughts, we suffer more, and we suffer longer.

If you have lost someone, or are upset by the Jogjakarta tragedy,

You're right babe and we should be thankful that we're still alive and healthy here

please talk to someone about it. Even me.
You're so sweet babe.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#30867 - 30 May 06 11:20 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
the earthquake in Yogya was the sadness for everyone who really cared...
sometimes I can't believe with paranormal, but I'm still remember when Mama Laurent said..that there will the disaster in April or in May in 2006...
The sorrow of yogya was the sorrow all of us, let's prayed for them who became casualties, hopefully they will stay sober and patient..Amin

#30868 - 30 May 06 11:59 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
hanabi Offline
Member+++

Loc: Here and there...
Quote:
Originally posted by KuKuKaChu:
Quote:
Originally posted by hanabi:
Saturday morning in Jogja...
where exactly in jogja were you when the earthquake hit?
I was in Gejayan, northern ring road. I've been to an earthquake simulation in Kobe, Japan, and now I think it felt the same. The sounds, the shakes, and it lasted only in a few seconds.

#30869 - 30 May 06 13:47 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Are you ok lovely Hanabi??? I hope so, I'm so sorry to hear that.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#30870 - 30 May 06 13:59 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
Quote:
Originally posted by jokgirl:

sometimes I can't believe with paranormal, but I still remember when Mama Laurent said..that there will be the disaster in April or May in 2006...
She said there will be some more...

#30871 - 30 May 06 14:37 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

hope that's the last disaster in indo..

#30872 - 30 May 06 15:09 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
hanabi Offline
Member+++

Loc: Here and there...
Quote:
Originally posted by Macan Tutul:
Are you ok lovely Hanabi??? I hope so, I'm so sorry to hear that.
Thanks MT, but I'm very okay. Not much damage received. One neighbor had the balcony collapse from second floor. Some friends who stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and the Melia Hotel had been evacuated as the room plafonds fell down. Most casualties were in southern parts of Jogja.

#30873 - 30 May 06 17:31 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

ohhh..so sorry to hear that hana darling...
i'm so sad also, coz one of the casualties is my friend and her child frown

#30874 - 31 May 06 04:55 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Aid flow begins for Java victims

Emergency aid has begun to arrive in the Indonesian island of Java for the victims of Saturday's earthquake.
But many survivors are facing a fourth night without relief supplies as driving rain and congested roads hamper access to more remote areas.

The number of dead now stands at 5,698, the social affairs ministry says.

The 6.3 magnitude earthquake near the ancient southern city of Yogyakarta left thousands more injured and as many as 200,000 without homes.

Donations from around the world arrived throughout Tuesday as the relief operation involving at least 22 countries gathered pace.

The aid, brought in by a succession of planes landing at Yogyakarta's main airport, were unloaded into warehouses.

The UN has set up a coordination centre close to the airport to bring order to the flow of goods.

More international medical teams have flown in to help treat the injured, including personnel from the US, Japan and a 40-strong team and five tonnes of medical supplies from China.

A Singaporean field hospital has already begun to treat patients, as fears of a health crisis appear to be receding.

The UN's top humanitarian coordinator, Jan Egeland, praised the huge aid effort as having made "enormous progress".

"The most critical need is medical assistance and after that it's water and sanitation, and third is emergency shelter," he told the Associated Press.

Distribution problems

But many areas are still waiting for aid deliveries.

On roads around Yogyakarta, people were begging motorists for money.

"Our village has many victims, houses are all destroyed and we have not received aid from the government," a teenage boy, Jumadi, told Reuters news agency.

"What else can we do?" he said.

The UN coordinator in Bantul, hardest hit by the earthquake, said the problem is not a shortage of aid but a problem of "distribution networks".

"The problem is how to bring these goods to those who really need it," he told the BBC's Barbara Plett.

OFFERS OF AID
Japan: $10m (£5.4m) plus troops
UK: $5.5m via UN, $1.8m via Red Cross
Middle East: $13m in total from Saudi Arabia, UAE and Kuwait
Pledges from EU, US and China
Appeals by Red Cross, Save the Children

International offers of aid

One man, Trimoseh, whose house in Prenggan village near Bantul was destroyed, said he had very little food or water.

"Until now we haven't had any aid," he told Reuters. "But we are not angry, we are just hungry. We will wait for food."

The Asian Development Bank has promised $60m (£32m) in aid and loans to help the affected region.

The Indonesian government has pledged an initial 12kg of rice per family, and 200,000 rupiah ($21) for each survivor to cover clothing and household goods, and compensation for damaged houses.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono warned on Monday he would not tolerate corruption with aid money, saying: "Don't misappropriate one dollar."

And after visiting the affected areas, he added: "We have to improve co-ordination... I saw in many areas that there are many things that need to be speeded up."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5028500.stm

Peter Kay

#30875 - 31 May 06 06:48 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Its no surprise that the aid is flowing slowly! At CKG last night, Aid Workers from all over were arriving, this however did not stop the bungling at the airport with their visa's being questioned. Thet did not look like tourists or smugglers, they wore clearly marked gear explaining they were search, rescue and health workers. NOTE to PB, they flew economy!

Worse, when the search dogs, that had flown half way around the world arrived in the baggage area certain members of Indo's finest started baiting them!

As I left they were still held up, no doubt waiting for someone to arrive with the brown envelope!

#30876 - 31 May 06 09:35 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
ANTARA

Australia send 80 skilled personnel to Yogyakarta

Jakarta (Antara News) - More than 80 Australian skilled personnel will be sent to Yogyakarta soon including natural disaster experts, 27 surgeons, anesthetists, and logistic personnel.

The Australian Foreign Office disclosed Tuesday night that the 80 skilled personnel were headed by a representative of AusAID.

The team along with 12 tons of equipment, including medicines and orthopedic instruments estimated at 200,000 Australian dollars, will be flown to Indonesia on Tuesday.

The experts and skilled personnel will bring Australia`s humanitarian aid to the victims of the strong quake measured at 5.9 on the Richter scale which struck Yogyakarta and Central Java killing about 5,000 people and seriously damaged 45,000 buildings, to a value of 7.5 million Australian dollars.

AusAID had been operating in Yogyakarta since the trembler struck the area on Saturday morning, for setting priorities in medical assistance and logistics.

Australia has also provided assistance to the Muhammadiyah Moslem organization and local NGOs as well as UN agencies in support of medical programs and food supplies to areas hardest hit by the disaster. (*)

#30877 - 31 May 06 09:36 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

AFP

Geologists warn Indonesia quake could awaken nearby volcano

by Bhimanto Suwastoyo Tue May 30, 7:18 AM ET

JAKARTA (AFP) - Geologists have warned that simmering Mount Merapi volcano could blow its top in the wake of the powerful quake that devastated swathes of Indonesia's main island of Java.

"Theoretically as well as statistically, there is a very large possibility that tectonic activities trigger or increase volcanic activities," Syamsulrizal, who works at Indonesia's national vulcanology office, said Tuesday.

Quake activity near a dormant volcano may "switch it on," while already active volcanoes could see more intense rumblings, said the head of the office's department for disaster risk evaluation.

Since Saturday's 6.3-magnitude earthquake, seismologists have noted increased flows of lava and heat clouds at Merapi, just north of the temblor's epicentre.

Authorities had already issued a red alert ahead of a possible eruption and shelter camps were set up to house more than 24,000 people evacuated from its slopes.

Most of those have since returned home to tend flocks and crops as attention has switched to the humanitarian crisis to the south where 5,400 were killed, thousands more injured and 200,000 left homeless by the quake.

There are fears that an eruption could further devastate the area and strain the stretched quake relief effort.

"Because a volcano's activities are linked to its system of fluid dynamics, any temblor would certainly have an effect," said Gede Suwantika, who heads the quake monitoring section of the vulcanology office in Yogyakarta.

He said the high magma pressure inside the volcano could rise further as one of the two tectonic plates that meet under the Indian Ocean south of Java slides under the island, as happens in a quake.

"Statistically, this rising activity is already shown by the much higher frequency of heat clouds emitted by Merapi during the post-earthquake period," he told AFP from Yogyakarta, just 30 kilometers (20 miles) south of Merapi.

Earthquakes are caused by movements, often very slight, of parts of the earth's crust. The movements release energy and produce the shockwaves which cause the earth tremors.

Volcanic activities occur when fluid magma finds its way to the surface.

In the early hours of Tuesday, Merapi sent out 10 heat clouds and 120 lava trails, some of them two kilometers long, said Tri Yani of the vulcanology office in Yogyakarta.

Plumes of smoke were seen rising some 900 metres (3,000 feet) into the air -- nearly double the height seen the previous day.

After calming down for a few days, Merapi belched significant heat cloud torrents shortly after Saturday's temblor.

On Monday, Merapi sent out 186 lava trails and 88 heat clouds, Yani said.

Suwantika said Indonesia's volcanic and tectonic channels followed the same lines along the boundaries between different tectonic plates, perhaps explaining why Merapi would become more active following the earthquake.

Scientists have warned that the main danger posed by Merapi is the deadly heat clouds, which can travel some 100 kilometers an hour with sustained temperatures of up to 600 degrees Celsius, incinerating everything on its path.

Merapi, one of the most active of the 130 volcanoes considered dangerous across the Indonesian archipelago, killed 66 people in its last major eruption in 1994.

Its deadliest eruption in recent times occurred in 1930, when more than 1,300 people perished.

The volcano's relative period of calm last week prompted many of the 22,000 people evacuated earlier in the month to return home. Only 2,000 people remained in temporary shelters around the peak on Tuesday.

#30878 - 31 May 06 09:40 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

See how that lot get through CGK! I await with baited breath!

#30879 - 31 May 06 09:47 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
Its no surprise that the aid is flowing slowly! At CKG last night, Aid Workers from all over were arriving, this however did not stop the bungling at the airport with their visa's being questioned. Thet did not look like tourists or smugglers, they wore clearly marked gear explaining they were search, rescue and health workers. NOTE to PB, they flew economy!

Worse, when the search dogs, that had flown half way around the world arrived in the baggage area certain members of Indo's finest started baiting them!

As I left they were still held up, no doubt waiting for someone to arrive with the brown envelope!
this is exactly why Okusi is offering to organise visas free-of-charge for relief workers! the same fun-and-games happened at the time of the tsunami, when immigration parasites in jakarta and medan made a killing with "fines" and "fees".

#30880 - 31 May 06 21:13 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

ABC/Reuters

Wednesday, May 31, 2006. 10:15pm (AEST)

Assessment: 45,000 homes have been destroyed in the earthquake

By Shane McLeod in Yogyakarta

An Australian medical team has arrived in Yogyakarta to join relief efforts after last weekend's earthquake in the Indonesian city.

The team of 27 include surgeons, paramedics, anaesthetists and logistics experts.

It arrived this evening and will begin briefings before starting work in two local hospitals.

Dr Michael Novey says the team is ready to respond to a range of situations.

"What we're now seeing is secondary and sort of tertiary aspects of trauma where there's infections and wounds that need to be really treated," he said.

"And that's a very important thing to do that, and that's a role which we designed to set up for and to provide for a vast number of people."

Twelve tonnes of medical equipment is due to arrive tomorrow, as part of $7 million in aid pledged by the Australian Government.

Other medical teams are already in place helping to deal with victims of the quake, some of whom are just arriving at hospitals in the major centres.

Work is under way to return those who have been treated to their home villages, but in some areas the destruction is so extensive shelters will have to be built before that can happen.

Local officials estimate 45,000 homes have been destroyed in the earthquake with more than 100,000 buildings suffering damage.

Aid agencies are working to assess immediate priorities for their assistance programs.

Saturday's 6.3 magnitude earthquake, centred just off the Indian Ocean coast near Yogyakarta, has killed 5,846 people and left 130,000 homeless.

Hardest hit is Bantul, where entire villages were levelled and homes reduced to piles of wood, tiles and tin.

There are no signs of disease, but medicines were being sent to affected areas to prevent diseases like measles and malaria.

Some survivors said they still lacked basic aid.

-ABC/Reuters

#30881 - 31 May 06 21:15 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

i wonder if PB is going to be airlifted into jogja?

#30882 - 31 May 06 21:31 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

World Bank

World Bank Assisting Government to Assess Losses and Support Reconstruction in
Yogyakarta

Jakarta, May 30, 2006 -- The President of the World Bank, Mr. Paul Wolfowitz, has promised the full support of the World Bank Group for reconstruction in the aftermath of the devastating earthquake in Yogyakarta.

As the humanitarian relief effort gathers pace, the World Bank will focus immediately on assisting the Government of Indonesia in the preparation of a full assessment of the earthquake damage and losses to determine the overall needs for the coming phase of rehabilitation and reconstruction. The Government
is aiming to table a report by mid-June when the Consultative Group for Indonesia will hold its annual meeting between the Government and donor
partners.

Yesterday, the Government of Indonesia and the World Bank chaired a meeting of over 100 donors to begin the coordination of the reconstruction phase.

Discussions are now underway on the major task of repairing vital infrastructure and rebuilding houses. To ensure the most rapid and effective
delivery of this assistance, the Government and the Bank are discussing how to reallocate the resources of existing projects with already established networks in Yogyakarta and Central Java.

Through community-driven projects such as the Kecamatan Development Program and Urban Poverty Program, there are already up to 500 professional facilitators on the ground that can be mobilized to work with communities to channel assistance
in a transparent and accountable manner to high priority needs, such as housing and local infrastructure. “The local communities in Yogyakarta and CentralJava are among the strongest in Indonesia, even after this horrible tragedy, “said Country Director Mr. Andrew Steer. “We are working to ensure that they
get funds into their own hands quickly and efficiently to take charge of their own recovery.”

Already, efforts to restructure and refocus existing programs in supporting provincial health care provision, community infrastructure, and rural water supply are underway by which the Bank could reallocate $50-60 million to reconstruction in Yogyakarta. Other sources of funding including grants are also being actively discussed especially for rebuilding houses. “We will do our
utmost to ensure there are enough funds for the recovery and reconstruction,” said Mr. Steer, “but the challenge will to find mechanisms that make the most of the incredible wealth of talent and experience already existing across this
historic and important region.”

Contacts:
In Jakarta: Prabha Chandran & Wiwiek Sonda
Tel :(62 21) 5299-3084/ 3146, pchandran@worldbank.org
wsonda@worldbank.org

In Washington: Mohamad Al-Arief
Tel: 1-202-458-5964; malarief@worldbank.org

#30883 - 31 May 06 21:37 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Still got to get through CGK! One guy I know had lost bags on last nights flight! He waited for 2 hours before they "ound" his cases! The rescue team were still there arguing their way out!

WTF!

#30884 - 01 Jun 06 04:57 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Magpie Offline
Member**

Java earthquake toll passes 5,800

Medical assistance is a top priority
Indonesia has upped the death toll from the earthquake which hit the island of Java on Saturday to more than 5,800.
Large quantities of aid started flowing into affected areas, and the UN spoke of "enormous progress" being made.

But many survivors spent a fourth night without shelter or supplies, as congested roads hampered access to more remote areas.

The 6.3 magnitude quake near the city of Yogyakarta left thousands injured and as many as 200,000 without homes.

Donations from around the world have continued to arrive as the relief operation, involving at least 22 countries, gathered pace.

The aid supplies, brought in by a succession of planes landing at Yogyakarta's airport, were unloaded into warehouses before being trucked south.

The UN has set up a co-ordination centre close to the airport to bring order to the flow of goods.

More international medical teams have flown in to help treat the injured, including personnel from the US, Japan and a 40-strong team and five tonnes of medical supplies from China.

A Singaporean field hospital has been treating patients, and fears of a health crisis appear to be receding, aid workers say.

The UN's top humanitarian co-ordinator, Jan Egeland, said the aid effort had made "enormous progress".

"The most critical need is medical assistance and after that it's water and sanitation, and third is emergency shelter," he told the Associated Press.

Distribution problems

But many areas are still waiting for aid deliveries.

On roads around Yogyakarta, people were begging motorists for money.

"Our village has many victims, houses are all destroyed and we have not received aid from the government," a teenage boy, Jumadi, told Reuters news agency.

"What else can we do?" he said.

The UN co-ordinator in Bantul, hardest hit by the earthquake, told the BBC the problem was not a shortage of aid but a problem of "distribution networks".

"The problem is how to bring these goods to those who really need it," he said.

One man, Trimoseh, whose house in Prenggan village near Bantul was destroyed, said he had very little food or water.

"Until now we haven't had any aid," he told Reuters. "But we are not angry, we are just hungry. We will wait for food."

The Asian Development Bank has promised $60m (£32m) in aid and loans to help the affected region.

The Indonesian government has pledged an initial 12kg of rice per family, and 200,000 rupiah ($21) for each survivor to cover clothing and household goods, and compensation for damaged houses.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5032458.stm

Peter Kay

#30885 - 01 Jun 06 06:25 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Magpie Offline
Member**

Peter Kay

#30886 - 01 Jun 06 07:59 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
Still got to get through CGK! One guy I know had lost bags on last nights flight! He waited for 2 hours before they "ound" his cases! The rescue team were still there arguing their way out!

WTF!
"Welcome to Indonesia!" smile

Somebody, a long-time resident in for a visa, asked me last night, "Why do I stay here? Why do I put up with this shit?"

He's thinking about moving to Sudan smile

#30887 - 01 Jun 06 09:58 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Indo isn’t so bad. No military coups (at least not yet). No cannibalism (Unless you are in West Papua), no major gun problem, no major kidnap problem, no one throws spears at you (apart from West Papua) smile smile smile

#30888 - 01 Jun 06 11:50 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

Five hotels close due to Saturday's earthquake

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Five star-rated hotels in Yogyakarta have closed for an indefinite period of time due to the severe damage caused by Saturday's devastating earthquake.

Indonesian Hotel and Restaurant Association chairperson Wiryanti Sukamdani said the star-rated hotels that had temporarily closed to allow for repairs were the Sheraton, Jayakarta, Quality, Ibis and Melia Purosani hotels.

Although damaged by the disaster, none of the five hotels had reported injuries to guests.

"The reopening of the hotels will depend on the how badly they were damaged and the length of time needed to renovate the buildings," Wiryanti said in a briefing on the country's tourism industry.

She said that seven other four and five-star hotels in the quake-stricken city were still operating as normal, while all non star-rated hotels were in good condition.

"The earthquake seriously affected those hotels that have four stories or more," Wiryanti said.

The association was unable to provide estimates of losses as yet, she added.

Wiryanti said that right after the 5.9-on-the Richter-scale earthquake hit the city, most hotel guests checked out. However, she noted that since Tuesday, visitors had been coming back to Yogyakarta and booking into hotels there.

"Currently, hotels with 50 to 60 rooms have an average occupancy rate of 80 percent," she said.

Wiryanti said that the high occupancy rate was due to a reduction in the number of hotels operating and an influx of aid workers into Yogyakarta.

Wiryanti said that the association would request the government to allow severely damaged hotels that had to temporarily close to defer payment of hotel tax and electricity bills.

The association would also ask the Manpower and Transmigration Ministry to allow the hotels to temporarily lay off their employees, she added.

She said that in spite of the earthquake, Yogyakarta's tourism prospects were still very good.

"People from outside Yogyakarta will want to see what the earthquake did to the city with their own eyes," she explained. (08)

#30889 - 01 Jun 06 12:29 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
cherry Offline
Member**

Loc: Indonesia
Since the earthquake incident in yogya, me and few of friends tried to gather the fund and usable second-hand clothes to be contributed to earthquake casualties,directly..even I didn't come to yogya and joint with my friends..
but I felt so sad with the casualties,coz they didn't got something as they wish..
frown

#30890 - 01 Jun 06 18:20 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
rsigirl Offline

Loc: Jakarta
Yogya and all the problems, need our suport materially, empaty and simpaty....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop