Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30841 - 27 May 06 18:20 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
branmac Offline
Member+

Loc: Australia
Now the news is reporting over 2,200 people killed. This is so distressing. As a forum I would be proud if we could work out some way to make donations to those affected. As long as whtever we can rais goes to the people and not to the pocket. Anyone have any suggestions as to how we can raise donations.

#30842 - 27 May 06 18:26 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
there's only one way to guarrantee that money will reach where it's needed, and that's to go there and dole it out yourself. no agencies here, govt or private, have any integrity whatsoever.

#30843 - 27 May 06 18:31 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

Indonesia earthquake kills more than 2,500

By IRWAN FIRDAUS, Associated Press Writer

YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia - A powerful earthquake flattened homes and buildings in central Indonesia early Saturday, killing more than 2,500 people and injuring thousands more in the country's worst disaster since the 2004 tsunami.

The magnitude 6.2 quake struck near the ancient city of Yogyakarta 250 miles east of the capital, Jakarta, around dawn as many people slept, causing death and damage in several nearby towns.

TV footage showed damaged hotels and government buildings, and several collapsed buildings. Roads and bridges were destroyed, hindering efforts to get the wounded to hospitals. Some phone lines also were cut.

"It felt really powerful, and the whole building shook," said Narman, a receptionist at a hotel in Yogyakarta. "Everyone ran from their rooms."

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono ordered the army to help evacuate victims, as panicked residents ran into the smoldering streets, many clutching young children. He said he would head to the disaster zone in Central Java province later Saturday.

Nine hours after the quake struck, the number of dead stood at 2,517, said Direvan, an official in the Social Affairs Ministry's task force office, with two-thirds of the fatalities occurring in the devastated district of Bantul.

"The numbers just keep rising," said Arifin Muhadi of the Indonesian Red Cross, adding that nearly 2,900 people were hurt.

In the chaos that followed the quake, rumors of an impending tsunami sent thousands of people on Java fleeing to higher ground in cars and motorbikes. But Japan's Meteorological Agency said there was no danger of a killer wave.

Doctors struggled to care for hundreds of injured people lying on plastic sheets, straw mats and even newspapers outside the overcrowded hospitals, some hooked to intravenous drips dangling from trees.

"We need help here," said Kusmarwanto of Bantul Muhammadiyah Hospital, the closest hospital to the quake's epicenter, adding that his hospital alone had 39 bodies.

"There so many casualties. Houses ... are flattened. Many people still need to be evacuated," he said.

At nearby Dr. Sardjito Hospital, health officials tallied 60 dead, but more bodies were lined up in the hallway and some family members were taking them home before they could be added to the official toll.

"We have hundreds of injured people, our emergency care unit is overwhelmed," said Heru Nugroho.

The quake cracked the runway in Yogyakarta's airport, closing it to aircraft until at least Sunday while inspections take place, Transport Minister Hatta Radjasa said.

Officials said they did not know yet if the 9th century Buddhist temple, considered one of the seven wonders of the world, was affected in the quake.

In hardest hit Bantul district, Subarjo, a 70-year-old food vendor, was sobbing next to his dead wife, his house destroyed.

"I couldn't help my wife ... I was trying to rescue my children, one with a broken leg, and then the house collapsed. I couldn't help my wife," he said weakly.

"I have to accept this as our destiny, as God's will," he added.

The quake's epicenter was close to Mount Merapi, which has been rumbling for weeks and sending out large clouds of hot gas and ash.

Activity increased on Saturday, with one eruption that came soon after the quake sending debris some 2 miles down its western flank, but Bambang Dwiyanto of the Energy and Mineral Ministry said the two events did not appear to be directly related.

Almost all people had already been evacuated away from the volcano's danger zone, and there were no reports of injuries as a result of the eruption.

Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.

A magnitude 9.1 earthquake on Dec. 26, 2004, under the sea off the coast of Indonesia's Sumatra Island triggered a tsunami that killed more than 131,000 people in Aceh province, and more than 100,000 others in nearly a dozen other countries.

#30844 - 27 May 06 18:53 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

ok, now here's something that will get the yogyakarta mystics' hormones galloping. The exact epicentre of the quake was situated on the highly mystical place of parangtritis beach, furthermore, within metres of where the annual pelabuhan ritual is held.

if you draw a straight line from the point of the epicentre through the centre of the universe (aka the kraton, palace of the sultan of yogyakarta), you arrive at ... merapi.

#30845 - 27 May 06 19:42 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
branmac Offline
Member+

Loc: Australia
Well done Kuku. I told my wife who is in Jkta right now that Merapi will blow. I didnt realise the relationship but just had a gut feeling. They say there is no relationship between the quake and Merapi but I think all that goes on below the earths surface is related. One reaction down there must influence another. Hopefully the gas outlet from Merapi after the first quake was the reaction but one study i did today was that there were two other quakes at around 4.5 on the scale several hours later.
Its like the human body. Eat bad food and all hell lets loose throughout the body.
Look at the 3-4 quakes around Indonesia in the last 10-14 days. Maybe there is a way of predicting the next one!!

#30846 - 28 May 06 07:54 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Hey Guys, just wanted to say to those in Java right now, Hope you are all ok, and your family and friends. And to anyone involved in the going's on in East Timor, take care, and godspeed.

The Magpie.

Peter Kay

#30847 - 28 May 06 08:04 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Magpie Offline
Member**

Search for Java quake survivors

A frantic search for survivors is continuing after a strong earthquake struck the Indonesian island of Java, killing more than 3,000 people.
Thousands more were injured when the quake, measuring 6.2, flattened buildings south of the city of Yogyakarta, near Java's southern coast.

Families spent the night outdoors after losing their homes, while a series of aftershocks added to people's fears.

Many people are still believed trapped under rubble and collapsed buildings.

The area struck by the quake is densely-populated. The Indonesian Red Cross estimates some 200,000 people fled their homes after it hit early on Saturday morning.

I was jarred awake by my entire house shaking. My large bed was jumping inches from side to side

Kevin Freedman, Yogyakarta

At least 2,900 people were seriously injured, leaving hospitals struggling to cope, while survivors prepared mass graves to bury their dead relatives.

The worst devastation was in the town of Bantul, south of Yogyakarta city, where an official said more than 2,000 people had been killed.

Aid appeal

The Red Cross launched an appeal for $10m (7.7m euros), as world leaders sent condolences and pledged aid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5023874.stm

Peter Kay

#30848 - 28 May 06 09:50 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

The toll is up to 3500. Past experience shows you can double that when the final numbers come in.

The Australian Military has offered aid. It isnt enough, but nothing ever is.

#30849 - 28 May 06 13:30 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
My friend sms-ed me just then, she heard that the news in Australia predicted another earthquake is going to follow. She asked me whether that's true, and i'm not sure, as i haven't been out all night, (just woken up). Did you guys hear anything?

Her grandma is in Yogya, and she's planning to travel to yogya to find her, but she's worried about this news of more earthquake..

#30850 - 28 May 06 15:36 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Strong earthquakes in PNG......

#30851 - 28 May 06 15:51 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

there seem to be knock-on effects happening all around the pacific.

#30852 - 28 May 06 19:53 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

Reuters

Indonesian quake death toll at 4,611

JAKARTA (Reuters) - The death toll from the Indonesian earthquake has reached 4,611, the country's social affairs department said on Sunday.

The 6.3 magnitude quake struck at dawn on Saturday, devastating the Bantul area near the ancient royal city of Yogyakarta, about 440km (270 miles) east of the Indonesian capital Jakarta.

#30853 - 28 May 06 19:54 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

AAP

Indonesia quake survivors search for food

By CHRIS BRUMMITT, Associated Press Writer

BANTUL, Indonesia - Thousands of survivors dug through their crumpled homes Sunday in search of food and clothing Sunday after a powerful earthquake killed more than 3,700 [now 4,611] people in Indonesia's densely populated Java island.

Most of the dead were buried in village graveyards within hours of the disaster Saturday, in line with Islamic tradition. Villagers dug mass graves and village heads recorded the names of the victims so they could be added to the official death toll.

The 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck as many people were sleeping, injuring thousands in the nation's worst disaster since the 2004 tsunami. It also triggered fears that a rumbling volcano nearby would erupt.

The quake badly damaged the world famous 9th century Prambanan temple complex, where scores of stone blocks and carvings lay scattered, an archaeologist said.

The disaster zone stretched across hundreds of square miles of mostly farming communities in Yogyakarta province. The worst devastation was in the rice-farming town of Bantul, where more than 2,400 people were killed and 80 percent of the homes were flattened.

"I have to start my life from zero again," said Poniran, whose 5-year-old daughter Ellie was killed.

Poniran dug up his still-breathing daughter from the rubble of her bedroom, but she died in a hospital awaiting treatment along with hundreds of others.

"Her last words were 'Daddy, Daddy,'" he said.

Tens of thousands of people spent the night Saturday in any open space available — streets, cassava fields, even the narrow paths between rice fields. Power and telephone service was out across much of the region, adding to the terror of aftershocks.

About 450 aftershocks had shaken the region as of midday Sunday, with the strongest measuring magnitude-5.2, said Handi, an official at the Meteorology and Geophysics Agency who uses only one name.

Survivors searched the ruins of their homes on Sunday for anything still usable and complained that they hadn't received any aid.

"We're short of everything — clothes, food, water, all are gone. We are poor people, but our lives still matter," said Budi Wiyana, 63, whose house was destroyed.

Doctors struggled to care for the injured, hundreds of whom were lying on plastic sheets, straw mats and even newspapers outside overcrowded hospitals, some hooked to intravenous drips dangling from trees.

Bloodstains littered the floor at Yogyakarta's Dr. Sardjito Hospital, along with piles of soiled bandages and used medical supplies.

"We are short of surgeons," said Alexander, a doctor who goes by one name. "There are still so many critically injured people here."

In several villages, residents told reporters there were no people or bodies still trapped under the rubble of the houses, mostly simple brick and wood structures.

In Peni village on Bantul's outskirts, villagers set up simple clinics to treat injuries, but were hampered by shortages of medicine and equipment. A group of women cooked catfish caught in a nearby pond for dozens of people huddled under a large tent.

The earthquake hit at 5:54 a.m., caving in tile roofs and sending walls crashing down. Survivors screamed as they ran from their homes, some clutching bloodied children and the elderly.

It was the latest in a series of disasters to hit Indonesia — including the 2004 tsunami that ravaged Aceh province, terrorist attacks, a widening bird flu outbreak and the threat of eruption from nearby Mount Merapi.

The quake's epicenter was 50 miles south of Mount Merapi, and activity increased soon after the temblor. A large burst spewed hot clouds and sent debris cascading some two miles down its western flank. No one was injured because nearby residents had already been evacuated.

Bambang Dwiyanto of the Energy and Mineral Ministry could not say whether the quake caused the volcanic activity but warned that it could trigger a larger eruption.

"It will influence the activities of Mount Merapi, particularly in the lava dome," said Dwiyanto, head of the ministry's geological division.

Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin. It has the largest number of volcanos in the world — 76.

International agencies and other nations pledged millions of dollars of aid.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono ordered the army to evacuate victims and arrived with a team of Cabinet ministers to oversee rescue operations.

At least 3,765 people were killed in the quake, command post officials from the affected districts told The Associated Press. The only foreigner reported killed or injured was a man from the Netherlands.

Bantul is about 1,390 miles southeast of Aceh province, where 131,000 people died in a December 2004 tsunami triggered by a magnitude-9.1 earthquake under the sea.

The Prambanan temple, a
UNESCO world heritage site, will be closed to the public until archeologists are able to determine whether the quake damaged the foundation or tilted the shrines, said Agus Waluyo, head of the Yogyakarta Archaeological Conservation Agency.

"Stone walls collapsed, parts of a couple of monuments fell. It will take months to identify the precise damage," he told The Associated Press.

Not long after Javanese rulers constructed the Hindu temple, it was abandoned for unknown reasons and began to deteriorate.

Reconstruction of the compound began in 1918 but is unfinished.

Officials said the famed 7th century Borobudur Buddhist temple, one of Indonesia's most popular tourist attractions, was not affected by the quake.

Close to 1 million tourists visit the temples every year.

#30854 - 29 May 06 06:32 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Magpie Offline
Member**

Rain compounds Java quake misery

Footage from Java
Survivors of an earthquake that killed more than 4,600 people on Indonesia's island of Java are spending a second night outdoors.
Driving rain has forced some to return to the rubble of their homes.

Many bodies are still thought to be trapped under debris and rescuers say the odds of finding survivors are slim.

An aid operation is gathering speed in the worst-hit areas around Yogyakarta, where 20,000 people are said to have been hurt and 200,000 left homeless.

The quake, measuring 6.3, struck on Saturday morning, flattening buildings in a densely-populated area south of the city of Yogyakarta.

A major relief operation has swung into motion, with teams from across the country and abroad arriving in the disaster zone.

The UN's World Food Programme says it has begun delivering truckloads of high-energy rations to the worst-hit districts of Bantul and Klaten.

However, news agencies also reported local officials saying aid distribution on the ground was slow.

"The problem now is that we are short of tents, many people are still living on the streets or open areas, " Reuters quoted a field officer of the Yogyakarta disaster task force as saying.

Heavy rain late on Sunday made conditions worse for those left homeless by the quake.

United Nations aid agencies are due to meet in Geneva on Monday to plan humanitarian relief for the country.

The agencies, including Unicef, the World Food Programme, the World Health Organization and the International Red Cross, have already begun distributing some relief supplies but say much more will be needed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5025874.stm

Peter Kay

#30855 - 29 May 06 07:52 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

There is a theory, (and a movie) called “the six degrees of separation”. It is based upon a simple numeric fact that if we all know 25 people, than we can never be more than 6 links away from everyone in the world (the world population today is 6,518,755,247, which is 25x25x25x25x25x25 = 6103515625.

I just received a call from an ex GF in Jakarta. Cindy’s father died last year, and she is really close to her mother. She told me that her mother was in Jogja when it happened. She is slightly injured by OK.

I am just one degree of separation away from the horror of a natural disaster.

#30856 - 29 May 06 11:36 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
hanabi Offline
Member+++

Loc: Here and there...
Saturday morning in Jogja... just got home and fell asleep at 5am after partying all night when the quake happened. My reflex was running to my baby niece to carry her out while shouting my sis name to wake her up. Anyways, I guess we were too fine and okay in the middle of a devastating disaster. Only had one roof tile off and got the electricity back at noon while other areas still have blackout. Flew back to Jakarta from Solo yesterday and now I'm still knackered...

#30857 - 29 May 06 11:41 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by KuKuKaChu:
at the rate bodies are being reported, it would not surprise me if many hundreds more have been killed, especially in bantul, south of yogyakarta city.
Yeah, it's so sad, my cousin who lived in Bantul with his wife who got pregnant (7 month) and his kid 3 year old and grandpa and grandma, for a half day I couldn't contact them, just whish that they're safe, the phone line so busy, finally in the night I can contact them and thanks God they're safe, but their neighbour.....has gone away!!!! I'm crying when they told me this.

Our pray and helps in here has always with you peoples

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#30858 - 29 May 06 12:28 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

ANTARA

Adi Sutjipto airport reopened but restricted

Jakarta (Antara News) - PT Angkasa Pura (AP) I, which is running the Adi Sutjipto airport in Yogyakarta is considering to reopen the airport, but restricted to the airlifting of humanitarian assistance to places in Central Java province in the wake of the earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale which struck on Saturday morning.

"This morning a survey was conducted for such a possibility. Tim of AP I and the government are already there," Secretary of PT AP I, Markus Tries Tuwo said here on Sunday morning.

Adi Sutjipto airport had been closed to flights since the earthquake struck on Saturday morning, and some 6,300 passengers per day and 40 flights were diverted to Adi Soemarmo airport in Solo and to Ahmad Yani airport in Semarang.

Markus said if it has been decided to reopen the airport, only aircraft of certain types could be able to land, because the runway is now 2,200 m shorter than normal because of cracks.

He also cannot tell when the airport would be reopened to commercial aircraft.

Two people were killed at the airport and already handed over to their relatives, while one heavily injured and nigh lightly.

The material loss of the airport caused by the tremor had been estimated at Rp4.6 billion, and the loss as the result of idleness per day reached Rp151.25 million.(*)

#30859 - 29 May 06 12:59 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
kitasatu Offline
Member+

Loc: USA
Hey.. Everyone....My heart goes out to all of U who have family or friends in yogja. I my self have and ex sister in-law with all her kids in yogja, that i hope and pray are okay. The newspaper here said that about 3,700 people were killed and thousands were wounded, it is consider the worst disaster since the tsunami in 2004.They also said it was felt as far as Jakarta. THANK YOU to those of u that are keeping the rest of us inform of what's going on over there by posting the information on this chat site so the rest of us over here can at lease keep inform of the progress..... Please keep up the GOOD WORK.....We most be strong, in this hour of pain, for GOD is ALWAYS with US..and we most seek his comfort in these time of sorrow for are friends and family....

#30860 - 29 May 06 21:50 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

Monday, May 29, 2006

Seismographs investment/donation please!

The running texts of Indonesia's TV stations has apparently been focusing on the number of casualties and the amount of money donated by dignitaries like...Kalla Family Rp2 billion, Prayogo Pangestu Rp500 million, Boy Thohir Rp100 million, Indra Bakrie Rp500 million, etc...or the announcement from big companies in what they claimed corporate social responsibilities like...Company A to rebuild the school, company B to rehabilitate the mosques and hospitals...donates tents or boxes of instant noodles, tea, mineral water...etc...But I'm awating texts like...smart guy donates a seismograph or scholarships for students in the earth science...

I decided to run the text after reading Kompas.com report quoting Surono, an officer at Yogyakarta's branch of Badan Meteorologi dan Geofisika (BMG)---Indonesia's USGS.
Surono disclosed that Indonesia has no seismograph installed to measure the earth's movement in southern belt of the quake line of Java Island. Surono believes USGS even has that and that explains why USGS and BMG have different figures about the earthquake in Yogyakarta that kills more than 3,800 people and more than 10,000 people injured. Reconstruction costs were predicted at least US$110 million. Worse, as reported by Tempointeraktif.com, the quake also hit the main building of monitoring devices for Merapi Volcano and that's scared people there as no information available on the possible deadly eruptions from the active volcano.

Back to to the seismograph issue. USGS reported the epicentrum of the quake at 17 km beneath the surface, while BMG said it's 33 km below the surface.

Last year, both China and Japan committed to donate dozens of new seismographs to Indonesia aftermath the tsunami that killed more than 120 thousand people in Aceh. The National Earthquake Center has also planned to install more than 100 new seismographs in 10 locations. But somehow the country missed the southern part of Java Island?

I believe the cost of such seismograph is nothing compared to Minister Sugiharto's plan to spend US$337 million to buyback 25.5% shares of cement manufacturer PT Semen Gresik Tbk from Cemex SA and even a peanut compared to the cost to build East Kalimantan Governor's residence of US$7 million (to match Hollywood stars heh...).
Seismograph investment is one thing. But the country is apparently lack of expertise in the sector. So, scholarships dedicated to this field of expertise would be a great way to help prepare a better prevention management in the future.

City planning should be improved as well, especially on public housing technology in quake sensitive areas in the country. (Remember that the crash of the buildings or roofs were the main cause of misseries in Yogyakarta quake)
At the high-level public policy sphere, president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono who runs the administration from Yogyakarta for three days, should take a new approach toward BMG. We can't aford to keep treating BMG as a periphery agency. We need to empower BMG to be our USGS and play a more important role for the economy and the people.

I remember few years ago when I visited a cigarette factory in Central Java. The owner said he was relying very much on weather reports from Australia to provide more accurate information to tobacco farmers. "The farmers need accurate weather reports to schedule planting or harvesting. We spend a lot of money to buy those reports from Australia, but we just can't stand to see them suffer from bad harvest season," the cigarette businessman said.

That's how important the information about the mother nature for the economy. I wonder how much money industries like construction, offshore oil and gas, mining, airlines, or sea transportation have to pay in US dollars for so many years just because of our ignorance on such an important institution.

#30861 - 29 May 06 22:04 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

AP

Activity at Mount Merapi volcano triples

YOGYAKARTA (AP): Activity at Mount Merapi volcano has tripled since Saturday's earthquake, and a large eruption is still possible, a volcanology official said Monday.

"The earthquake has caused instability in the lava dome," said Subandriyo, chief of the Merapi volcanology and monitoring office. "There is still a chance that a big eruption might occur," he said.

The rumbling volcano spit out lava and hot clouds Monday morning, sending debris avalanching four kilometers down the mountain, he said.

Since Saturday's powerful nearby earthquake, the volcano has spewed hot clouds an average of 150 times a day, compared to 50 times before, he said.

The 3,000-meter volcano has been rumbling and spewing smoke and lava for weeks. Earlier this month, residents in the danger zone were ordered to evacuate.

Many fear the quake will trigger an eruption of one of the world's most active volcanoes. Mount Merapi, which means "Fire Mountain," has erupted scores of times in the last 200 years, often with deadly results.

Clive Oppenheimer, of the University of Cambridge'sVolcanology Group, earlier said external factors could trigger or accelerate an eruption.

"It's certainly possible a good shake from the earthquake could destabilize" the lava dome, Oppenheimer said.

A lava dome is a mound-shaped accumulation of slow-moving lava on a volcano. Its collapse can release a highly dangerous pyroclastic flow -- a fast-moving burst of high-temperature gases and rock fragments that can burn anything in its path. (***)

#30862 - 30 May 06 04:35 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Magpie Offline
Member**

Race against time in Java quake

The task of helping survivors of Saturday's earthquake on the Indonesian island of Java is "a race against the clock", the United Nations has warned.
Emergency workers and supplies are arriving but the UN's top relief co-ordinator Jan Egeland told the BBC the task was "enormous".

Driving rain is hampering relief work after the disaster which killed at least 4,295 people and injured 20,000.

And activity at nearby erupting volcano Mount Merapi is said to have increased.

See a map of Pacific Ring of Fire
UN aid agencies meeting in Geneva say field hospitals, shelter, medicines and clean water are the top priorities after the 6.3 quake which struck on Saturday morning.

OFFERS OF AID
Japan: $10m (£5.4m) plus troops
UK: $5.5m via UN, $1.8m via Red Cross
Middle East: $13m in total from Saudi Arabia, UAE and Kuwait
Pledges from EU, US and China
Appeals by Red Cross, Save the Children

International offers of aid

They want to make sure the operation gets under way quickly and efficiently and that there is no duplication, the BBC's Imogen Foulkes reports.

The UN appealed for three field hospitals to be sent to the region within three days.

Among other measures being taken:

The Red Cross is sending 10,000 tents and Unicef is supplying school tents

A UN co-ordination centre has been set up at Yogyakarta Airport, close to the disaster zone

The World Food Programme has begun giving out emergency rations and Unicef is distributing 40,000 litres of clean water a day
Many aid agencies already have supplies in the region because of the threatened volcanic eruption, our correspondent notes.

Seeking shelter

Buildings in and around Yogyakarta were flattened in the earthquake, leaving about 130,000 people homeless, according to Unicef.

Heavy rain has forced some to return to their destroyed houses in search of some kind of shelter despite the threat of further building collapses.

The quake probably affected "hundreds of thousands", Mr Egeland told the BBC's World Today programme.

In an interview with CNN, the UN relief co-ordinator added that he expected relief to reach people faster than after the 2004 tsunami disaster, which killed at least 130,000 in the western province of Aceh.

"This time I think it's going to be easier because Java is not as remote as Aceh," he said.

Governors of the areas hit by the quake have put the death toll at 4,295 in contrast to earlier estimates of about 5,000.

Many bodies are still thought to be trapped under debris and rescuers say the odds of finding survivors are slim.

Some two-thirds of the victims died in Bantul, a town south of the ancient royal city of Yogyakarta.

Aid agencies and the military are working together to get aid to surrounding towns and villages.

Hospitals are overwhelmed and hundreds of victims are having to be treated outdoors.

One BBC News website reader in Yogyakarta, Kirsty, said she had visited a hospital and witnessed operations being performed "on the floor, atop bamboo mats or mattresses".

Temple damaged

Thousands of people have been evacuated from around Mount Merapi, close to Yogyakarta, where volcanologists report a three-fold increase in activity since the quake.

Columns crashed to the ground at the Prambanan temple

Subandriyo, chief of the Merapi volcanology and monitoring office, said there was a chance of a "big eruption".

Indonesia is in a zone known as the Pacific Ring of Fire, which is prone to earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Yogyakarta is the former Javanese royal capital and home to historic temples and palaces.

Intricate carved reliefs in its renowned Prambanan Hindu temple were sent crashing to the ground by the quake, which undid years of restoration.

However, the 7th Century Borobudur Buddhist temple survived intact.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5026680.stm

Peter Kay

#30863 - 30 May 06 04:47 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Magpie Offline
Member**

Java quake aid getting through

There is a definite sense the relief operation for Saturday's earthquake in Java is moving up a gear - there is more urgency, more energy.

In the town of Imogiri, the long clear up is under way
South of Yogyakarta, in the town of Bintul, the car park of what used to be the local mayor's house has become the co-ordination centre for the relief effort.

Lorries are coming in and going out all the time. A group of soldiers is loading boxes of noodles into the back of a lorry ready to be taken to the affected villages.

The Indonesians are in charge of this operation, and the military are very much at the centre of that effort. But there is a significant international presence here as well.

Ronny, from the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), says 20 trucks are being used to deliver aid donations to surrounding towns and villages.

"It will get as soon as possible to the people who really, really need," he says.

Eduoard Beigbeder, from Unicef, says each emergency had its own challenges. "Right now it is to deliver water and to deliver the non-food items so that the people get shelters," he explains.

He says aid agencies have learned from the December 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami to better co-ordinate efforts.

"There is a network among the agencies who know each other and understand how to work [together]. We as well have learned our own lessons from the tsunami emergency," he said.

Rubble and bricks

In the surrounding villages, aid is most desperately needed. In one small village, surrounded by farm land, almost every building has been either partially destroyed or completely collapsed.

Piles of rubble, bricks and wood lie everywhere, while people sit outside in makeshift shelters.

"There are a couple of buildings still standing but people are too afraid to go back in because they are afraid something will happen. And its been hard for them to leave now because they don't have any place to live," one man says.

Villagers say they have not seen any major help from the government yet. The military had come here and pulled some of the dead bodies from the rubble, but they did not bring any food and water.

One man asks us if we can go and tell the authorities that the village needs help.

In the small town of Imogiri, a military truck and a bulldozer are beginning the work of clearing some of the debris.

Three bodies were pulled from the rubble yesterday, but local people do not think anybody else is trapped inside.

So they are starting to remove the rubble. And this is the kind of work that is going to go on now for the next few days and weeks. But at least help is beginning to arrive.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5027286.stm

Peter Kay

#30864 - 30 May 06 06:56 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

The sudden loss of a friend can have serious effects upon our outlook and well being. Life is a tenuous thing, and we usually fail to appreciate how brief it really is.

Although everyone handles situations differently, there are a number of stages that we normally go through upon hearing of the loss of someone we know. Shock, disbelief, grief, blame, are all emotions that will go through our mind.

If we try to contain these thoughts, we suffer more, and we suffer longer.

If you have lost someone, or are upset by the Jogjakarta tragedy, please talk to someone about it. Even me.

#30865 - 30 May 06 09:52 Re: Yogyakarta Earthquake
Pooh Bah

Quote:
Originally posted by hanabi:
Saturday morning in Jogja... just got home and fell asleep at 5am after partying all night when the quake happened. My reflex was running to my baby niece to carry her out while shouting my sis name to wake her up. Anyways, I guess we were too fine and okay in the middle of a devastating disaster. Only had one roof tile off and got the electricity back at noon while other areas still have blackout. Flew back to Jakarta from Solo yesterday and now I'm still knackered...
where exactly in jogja were you when the earthquake hit?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop