Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29390 - 11 Mar 06 22:01 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

no response because it is the Gravy Train.

It is catch 22. Aid agencies pray for major disasters, because it is the reason they exist. Its like an army looking for a war.

And all agencies are more interested in getting in the dollars than in sorting out the problems. Cos its the dollars that pay the wages.

It suits CARE to keep people in Ache for the next 10 years. Why would they want resolution in 6 months?

They build empires (fucking big ones) and dont lke anything to rock them.

remember, in Australia they cling to a tax free status, and dont publish accounts like any company would have to......

#29391 - 12 Mar 06 07:54 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
g00f13 Offline
Member*

Loc: earth
All in the name of "Charity".

Only "charitable" to those who ends up with the dough.

#29392 - 12 Mar 06 09:36 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quote:
Originally posted by rubyenda:
PB, thanks for your concern, I really don't know this until u bring up, so much living in the jungle.
I feel so sad and sorry for the tsunami victims, how their suffering taken advantages by those bastards!
PB is the person really cared about his environment...
He also really the philanthropist, kind and not arrogant... wink I know him much but he did't know me anything wink

#29393 - 12 Mar 06 12:03 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

So a bunch of left wing ‘tourists” masquerading as aid workers turn up with their cameras and laptops, book into the best hotels, shag all the local girls, and email back home about all of the good deeds they are doing.

It is pure colonial claptrap to even think that you need Bule "EXPERTS" in any aid operation. Pure garbage….

It implies that there is no one in Indonesia capable of managing the aid relief!!!

Indonesia would do far better to throw all of these bule so called “experts” out on their arse.

#29394 - 12 Mar 06 12:15 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by Ena:
Just like buying ski suits and other stuff from pasar senen after the aid agencies have sold them to the marketeers.Does that money get to the orphans and needy it was intended for? Its the top end of town that is always the dirtiest for sure.
About 10 years ago the army unit i was with moved into a new location. The previous unit had left a lot of shuff behind, including thousands of army blankets. they were old (dated 1965 etc) but clean and good condition. We were gonig to dump the, so I called several aid agencies. They said "no thanks, we prefer money to goods".

I took several blankets home. i still use them. The rest we gave away or sent to the tip.

Why did the agency want money rather then blankets? Cos money = wages, hotel bills, airtline tickets, mobile phones and all the crap of a modern global executive.

Of course blankets mean life or death to an eathquake victim but the agency doesnt care about that.

aid Agencies are just big business....

#29395 - 12 Mar 06 12:43 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

And here, ladies and gentleman, proof of the size and extent of the bullshit:

This is an extract from OFFICE OF THE UNITED NATIONS RESIDENT/HUMANITARIAN COORDINATIOR IN INDONESIA, SITUATION REPORT – INDONESIA, 16-31 AUGUST 2005

“To that end, BRR in cooperation with FAO hosted the Second Workshop on Wood Supply for Post Tsunami Reconstruction for the Wood Forest Industry in Jakarta on 2 August 2005, to reach solutions on the various issues related specifically to timber supply, and develop strategic approaches to overcoming illegal logging and deforestation. However, during the discussions that proceeded presentations from various stakeholders, including BRR, FAO, Ministry of Forestry, WWF and the Timber Industry,
more issues were raised than solutions reached. Issues related to the wood supply policy include supporting special projects that support sustainably produced timber products.”

So:
a) Within the first EIGHT MONTHS, the aid agencies had held two workshops on wood supply to the tsunami relief operations. TWO FUCKING WORKSHOPS just on wood supply.

b) High on the agenda was the use of “sustainable timber”. People were homeless whist these wankers held workshops on which SUSTAINABLE TIMBERS to use.

This is BULLSHIT of the worst kind!

I want answers!!!!!

Happy camer? Babu? can you comment?

#29396 - 12 Mar 06 14:31 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Happy Camper Offline

Loc: Jakarta
SO why are you here working if you feel so strongly about the situation, it is obvious yur emails, letters and misdirected rantings and ravings have done nothing to satisfy yourself in fixing the problem so why have you not gone to Aceh and grabbed the bull by the horns so to speak?

Of all of your letters and emails of complaint about the situation, I have as of yet read a letter to the editor of The Jakarta Post to say that you are "ashamed to be an Australian" and describing the situation with these 2 consultants. Take the message to the people Mother Teresa, maybe you should as well think about chagning your name to Ibu Teresa and give all of your earthly possessions to the needy?

#29397 - 12 Mar 06 15:06 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

1) As I explained elsewhere – I am not “here working”. I am in Sydney earning money…

2) My going to Ache will achieve nothing, and the fewer Bule “experts” over there the better. Believe me I am lobbying hard with politicians over here in Australia. (If I did go over there I would kick arse so hard my boot would stick through several useless “expert” mouths…..)

3) Notwithstanding the above – it is worth remembering that foreign aid =foreign policy to many governments. Not for nothing is AusAid broadcasting English programs on over 100 stations in Indonesia and claiming it to be part of the Tsunami reconstruction program.

4) What on earth would be the point of writing to The Jakarta Post? I have been keeping several Australian journalists aware of the mess, and lobbying politicians.

5) I am no Mother Terasa. I am happy to make money out of people. But I don’t make money out of people who are suffering from a disaster, and I don’t certainly don’t make money out of them whilst claiming to be a charity.

Its called ethics……

#29398 - 12 Mar 06 15:16 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Happy Camper Offline

Loc: Jakarta
Yes and as I have been living and working in Jakarta for 18 years, one of the most told jokes here is the one about the shortest book in Australian history, the one involving ethics. Since you are on the ground there, exactly how many Australians were involved and how much money (I have heard over 300 million USD) was paid to the Iragi government under the table to buy Australian wheat?

#29399 - 12 Mar 06 15:18 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Camper:
SO why are you here working if you feel so strongly about the situation, it is obvious yur emails, letters and misgiven rantings and ravings
HC, you have to help me here, since i cannot find misgiven in the dictionary....

#29400 - 12 Mar 06 21:32 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Ouch

#29401 - 13 Mar 06 01:16 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Black Adder Offline

Loc: Home
Polar Ass, Dictionary.com and the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary give the same definition (see below). Instead of lookng with your smart mouth when you do not know the meaning of a word, try looking with your brain. I bet this is the same way you are fighting and trying to make a difference with these 2 Aussies and thier fat pay checks, by talking the talk but you have to start walking the walk. Although you may think and have convinced some of these airheards here you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, you are far from it, would not surprise me with all the bolsterous talk about businesses here and there you are probabaly sitting down there on the dole. If you do have a JV company here in Jakarta you might ought to read my posting on the business to business channel regarding JV's here. Hope you have covered yourself.

Main Entry: mis·give
Pronunciation: "mis-'giv
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): mis·gave /-'gAv/; mis·giv·en /-'gi-v&n/; -giv·ing
transitive senses : to suggest doubt or fear to
intransitive senses : to be fearful or apprehensive

#29402 - 13 Mar 06 01:21 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Black Adder Offline

Loc: Home
You know Polar Ass, after reading your posts in this thread again early this morning, why do I get the distinct impression you are talking from a point of view of, what is it, Jealousy?

#29403 - 13 Mar 06 01:55 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Happy Camper! or...Black Adder??(same guy?)
is "Iam your Batak Wife Bitch" your wife?
She sounds like you!

#29404 - 13 Mar 06 06:01 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Adder:
You know Polar Ass, after reading your posts in this thread again early this morning, why do I get the distinct impression you are talking from a point of view of, what is it, Jealousy?
No, its called "disgust".

I have a hatred of hypocrisy…..

#29405 - 13 Mar 06 06:03 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Yes and as I have been living and working in Jakarta for 18 years, one of the most told jokes here is the one about the shortest book in Australian history, the one involving ethics. Since you are on the ground there, exactly how many Australians were involved and how much money (I have heard over 300 million USD) was paid to the Iragi government under the table to buy Australian wheat?
From what i have been told the entire "aid for food" program was riddled with corruption. I believe there are some nasty little details of payments by some other countries that are about to come out....

#29406 - 13 Mar 06 06:20 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Adder:
Instead of lookng with your smart mouth when you do not know the meaning of a word, try looking with your brain.

Although you may think and have convinced some of these airheards here you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, you are far from it, would not surprise me with all the bolsterous talk about businesses here and there you are probabaly sitting down there on the dole.
Ooooooooow

Am I supposed to be impressed or scared?

I am not "sitting on the dole". FYI I have never received any unemployment benefit in any country. I have been bloody hungry, and I have done some shitty jobs, but I have never sought or received any hand outs.

I am contract project manager. Its not the best job in the world – I wasn’t bright enough to get into law or medicine. But there it is.

However – since you wish to attack me, lets have it out.

a) Misgiven made no sense whatsoever in your first posting. It was just garbage. I questioned your use of the word because it was completely out of context.

“Misgiven ranting and raving” is a nonsensical statement. Hence my question on your interpretation of its meaning.

b) I note that you have replaced the word “misgiven” with “misdirected” – a clear indication that you have realised your error and corrected it.

c) I further note the following in your recent post:

“bolsterous talk about businesses”

Yes I know I make my share of typos, and I accept that you were busy, tired and not concentrating when you types this. But WTF is bolsterous?

#29407 - 13 Mar 06 06:22 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:
living and working in Jakarta for 18 years,
You wouldnt be teaching English by any chance would you?

#29408 - 13 Mar 06 06:50 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
oooo ... under the belt wink

#29409 - 13 Mar 06 06:53 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
g00f13 Offline
Member*

Loc: earth
What round are on now?

#29410 - 13 Mar 06 06:57 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Pooh Bah

dunno ... let 'em rock till they drop ...

just as long as they keep playing the ball ... wink (yes, sometimes easier said than done ...)

#29411 - 13 Mar 06 06:59 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
"blusterous"...perhaps?? smile
he wanted to say "the arrogant talk about business" who's this Black Adder dude btw?
who cares! this is not an english class, why worried about grammar!

Black Adder, you, as a brand newbie, that was a NICE introduction by attacking other member! :rolleyes:

#29412 - 13 Mar 06 07:09 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Nothing disgusts me more than some ugly no hoper who cannot get a decent job/girl/life in his own country so he moves to JKT/BKK and “teaches English”.

In Victorian times wealthy English families would send idiot sons to Africa or Australia to avoid embarrassment. They were called “Remittance Men” because the family sent them a small sum of money each year to keep them away…..

http://www.fortsteele.bc.ca/exhibits/kootenay/ethnic/rmen.asp

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/36/messages/712.html

Today, fathers suggest teaching English in Jakarta.

#29413 - 13 Mar 06 07:10 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Pooh Bah

well BlackAdder called him on a few things, and PB has responded reasonably.

i think PB is only seeing part of the story in the matter of aceh aid money. from my perspective -- sitting here in central jakarta, and not in aceh itself -- most of the blame for the continued lack of progress in aceh lays with the Indonesians, in particular, the military, state intelligence, immigration, the moronic parliament, among others.

singling out the aid agencies is too easy, even if they do deserve a boot up the jacksy.

#29414 - 13 Mar 06 07:12 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Noun 1. bolster - a pillow that is often put across a bed underneath the regular pillows
long pillow
pillow - a cushion to support the head of a sleeping person
Verb 1. bolster - support and strengthen; "bolster morale"
bolster up
reenforce, reinforce - make stronger; "he reinforced the concrete"
2. bolster - prop up with a pillow or bolster
prop, prop up, shore up, shore - support by placing against something solid or rigid; "shore and buttress an old building"
3. bolster - add padding to; "pad the seat of the chair"
pad
fill, fill up, make full - make full, also in a metaphorical sense; "fill a container"; "fill the child with pride"

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop