Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29365 - 10 Mar 06 09:31 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by Polar Bear:
most people i know who are involved in the "aid industry" are idealistic idiots.

They are usually bearded ex hippies who have never done a "real" job, and enjoy travelling the world at others expense.

I know from my engineering days, from my army training and experience, and from my IT work, how projects should be run.

The logistical deployement of troops in Gulf 1 or 2, or the Falklands, towers over the reconstruction projects currently on hand, and were achieved very quickly by guys on very low pay.

In November i had a few beers with the the British Defence Attache and a Tsunami reconstruction "engineer". Both were COMPLETE WANKERS. they were more interested in screwing bar girls in My Bar than in doing the job.

The conversation for at least a week was on how to seal a concrete floor of a hospital ward. any fucking civil engineer could tell them how to do it in 15 minutes But they just kept on slurping beers and shagging girls. its just a big long holiday to them......
No wonder with those shit peoples, they don't have feelings, humanity at all, act like a hero, but they all rats, and the bad was shaggED Chick too, how ashamed!!! mad mad

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#29366 - 10 Mar 06 10:12 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Babu Offline

Loc: Banda Aceh
I work up in Aceh for one of the large aid organisations and completely agree with the comments expressed concerning outrageous levels of profiteering. These people should be stripped of their possessions, put in an IDP camp and told to wait in line for their house.

These rodents are not to be confused with aid-workers however, any more than you would call Idi Amin a soldier just because he wore a uniform and killed a lot of people. Disasters attract scavengers.

Surprised at the level of criticism levelled at aid workers, 90% of whom are Indonesian. Wankers & hippies - no, not really. Most of the expat aid workers here do their best; some are good, so are not much good and the rest are somewhere in the middle - a bit like everywhere else.

BTW, PB, I notice that you are logistician. These are always in great demand and military background is highly regarded. You will find many possibilities on Reliefweb. This would give you the opportunity to turn your concern into positive action. It would take you away from the attractions of Jakarta however...

#29367 - 10 Mar 06 10:19 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Yes Babu - I agree that the guys with both feet on the ground do the best job they can. Its the fat cat senior managers living in world class hotels that i hate. I didnt mean to attack the people who really are making a difference.

I have thought about taking a year out and doing something useful with my life - most of which has been completly wasted.

do you have an URL for Relief web?

(And my personal thanks for doing something up there....)

#29368 - 10 Mar 06 10:38 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Babu Offline

www.ReliefWeb.int

Devnet also carries vacancies.

Good luck

#29369 - 10 Mar 06 10:49 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

A few years ago I did an army course in Australia, and one of the fellow students was a female Captain from the Thai army. Kung is a nurse with the Medical Corps. We got on really well, and spent a lot of time together. Nothing happened, we are just friends, but we email each other once a week.

When i heard about the tsunami I tried to call her. Her phone was out. I tried frantically for several days, and finally concluded that she had died. I was really upset.

A few days later i tried again, and managed to get through. She had been mobilised to help out with medical support, and mobiled phones were not working...

She worked long long hours doing a disgusting job, and she earns almost nothing.

Peopel who profit out of disasters like this need murdering in their sleep.

#29370 - 10 Mar 06 11:00 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
CANBERRA (AFP): Australia's foreign minister Thursday defended the country's aid agencies against Indonesian criticism that their efforts in tsunami-hit Aceh province were lagging behind promises.
"I think they've done a wonderful job and I've monitored fairly carefully the activities of the Australian aid agencies," Alexander Downer told reporters.
He was reacting to remarks attributed to the head of Indonesia's Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Agency, Kuntoro Mangkusubroto, in an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald.
Kuntoro singled out CARE International whose Australian arm has undertaken some of the biggest rebuilding efforts in Aceh since the devastating tsunami of December 26, 2004.
"Last year CARE pledged many houses, but they keep reducing the number, they have come down to a third or a quarter of what they promised," Kuntoro was quoted as saying.
Putting CARE and other agencies on notice, Kuntoro said his agency would take over any projects that were still unfinished in June next year and order the charities responsible to leave, the newspaper said.
"I completely disagree with those comments," Downer said.
"You can't just build all of the houses that are needed overnight. It takes time, you've got to get planning approvals, you've got to get the agreement of the local villagers for where the houses should be built, what sort of houses should be built -- all of these things take a good deal of time," he said.
"It's going to take years to complete this work, not months," he said.
Aceh was hardest hit by the 9.3-magnitude quake off the coast of Sumatra that triggered the tsunami, which killed more than 220,000 people around the Indian Ocean. (**)

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#29371 - 10 Mar 06 12:55 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Ena Offline
Member*

Loc: Sydney
And some of the houses dont have water connected I heard.
Have you guys read that book called " emergency sex and other desparate measures" It was written by 3 ex un staffers who did cambodia, liberia and haiti, bosnia etc.Its pretty good read, outlines some of the ludicrous situations in disaster zones.
Catch 22 would be the best one though, in that vein.
Lots of people were disgusted at me and my husband because we would not donate money to tsunami charities.People asked him well you are Indonesian so how come you will not help and give money??? Now they see why. Its better to go and give money directly to the hand that is of the sufferer.Just like buying ski suits and other stuff from pasar senen after the aid agencies have sold them to the marketeers.Does that money get to the orphans and needy it was intended for? Its the top end of town that is always the dirtiest for sure.

..take only what you need..

#29372 - 10 Mar 06 13:02 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
But if we should give donation directly, what are they for???

#29373 - 10 Mar 06 13:20 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

If I give a dollar to someone collecting aid on the streets of Sydney, an average 80% goes directly to the aid collector (who does this for a living) and the aid collection company.

(I was astounded to discover that aid agencies allow collection companies to use their name on professional charity collections. It may sax OXFAM on the shirt, but its really a private profit company who donate as little as 20% to OXFAM.)

And of the remaining 20% - well 10% or 2cents goes towards the charity company overheads. Leaving just 18 cents. Most of which are spent buying produce and equipment in Australia, to ensure that the Australain economy benefits and not the country in trouble......

#29374 - 10 Mar 06 13:45 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

World Vision Australia, which has transferred more than $60 million in unspent Australian donations to its "global treasury" in California, will spend half of the funds raised within 12 months. The rest is due to be spent over two to three years.

Chief executive Tim Costello said Australian World Vision representatives retained control over how the funds were spent, despite their being held in Los Angeles.

"We have a partnership model where the legal, moral, and financial responsibility for how the funds are raised and spent rests with the board here," he said. "We have the final say."

The six agencies said any interest earned on unspent funds would be allocated to tsunami projects. Red Cross holds the funds in a bank account and short-term cash deposits while Caritas retains funds as bank bills in "low-risk investment instruments".

The big agencies confirmed most were using donations to fund additional overhead costs, including air fares, accommodation and wages of employees working on tsunami projects. But these extra administrative expenses are allocated as project costs in agency financial statements.

Due to blanket media coverage and corporate support, four of the six agencies have kept their overheads below 8 per cent.

But Red Cross Australia and Oxfam Community Aid Abroad have a 10 per cent cap - equal to a combined $11.7 million - on overheads.

Mr Costello said that before he joined World Vision its executives received bonuses, flew business class and had access to an executive car park at the organisation's Burwood East headquarters. While he has flown business class twice since becoming chief executive (the first because it was "pre-booked" and the second when recovering from an operation), Mr Costello said he and other staff flew economy class. Bonuses and car park privileges had been scrapped.

UNICEF and Oxfam disclosed the salaries of their senior executives - they range from $65,000 to $93,750 - but the Red Cross and Caritas refused. World Vision and Care Australia said executive salaries would be detailed for the first time in their next annual reports.

Several agencies said tsunami donations were used to finance the air fares and accommodation of Australian workers sent to do relief work in the tsunami-affected region. These costs are not identified as separate line items in the agency's financial statements, but included within project costs.

The Institute of Public Affairs, an outspoken critic of the agencies, said the costs should be broken down and disclosed.

"It makes it impossible to ascertain how much money goes to the needy," IPA senior research fellow Don D'Cruz said. "I don't think that is acceptable. The public want to know how much is getting to the people. By embedding these costs, they are really fudging the issue."

#29375 - 10 Mar 06 14:55 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Babu Offline

Ok, a bit more self disclosure for you..

The programme manager in Banda Aceh for one of the major agencies earns $53,000 a year. He also gets a room in a shared house. He is in charge of 200 staff and a budget of $80m over three years. 18 of these are expats who earn between $40,000 and $53,000 a year.

He comes from the UK, where his salary is barely enough to keep his family.

Before joining the voluntary sector, he worked in the private sector for a lot more than he gets now. This is true of most of the expats on his team.

The anticipated cost of employing expats over the 3 year period is 4% of total budget. This is too much and local staff are employed wherever possible. It is not always easy, however, to get good, experienced staff to move to Aceh and HR constraints are the biggest single reason for the delay in getting things done.

If you look up DEC on the web,you will get very good analysis of the performance of the UK agencies.

#29376 - 10 Mar 06 19:29 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Massage Plus Offline
Member++

Loc: JKT
Quote:
Originally posted by Babu:
Ok, a bit more self disclosure for you..

He comes from the UK, where his salary is barely enough to keep his family.

Before joining the voluntary sector, he worked in the private sector for a lot more than he gets now.
Talking about yourself ya..? Sounds like Anda pria yang rendah hati ya. Jarang orang seperti Anda.

Think your nickname has something to do with your real job - a Babu for Aceh people. smile

Good luck with your job wink

#29377 - 10 Mar 06 19:38 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I agree Babu, but there is some bullshit going on.....

The Australian aid in some areas is being held up whilst "studies are conducted" an numbers of houses, village sizes, street layouts. Meanwhile back in Australia money is being poured into Australian companies to develop prefabricated housing. By the time the fucking streets are designed, villages planned and a new type of prefabricated house has been invented most poor bloody victims will have either moved to a new area or built some sort of house.

I know ( because some of my friends went) that IBM sent a bunch of "Management Consultants" to Ache to conduct research into optimum village sizes. The people were SCREAMING for clean water and shelter. They wanted desalination plants, tools, timber. They got men with laptops (And this is genuine). Apparently IBM wrote off the costs on taxation and made a profit!

They should have sent several portable sawmills, desal plants, generators to run them etc....

I have been trying to discover EXACTLY how much of Australian aid has been spent on hand tools to enable the victims to rebuild their own homes. Everyone seems reluctant to tell me.

A final irony - in Thailand most of the aid seems to b going into holiday resorts (again I am not joking) using the argument that this will provide employment for locals and revitalise he economy. Who exactly owns these new resort complexes remains undisclosed.

#29378 - 10 Mar 06 19:50 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

The Age
Ten-year wait for tsunami aid
By Ewin Hannan
March 1, 2005

Millions of dollars in public donations to Asian tsunami victims will not be delivered for up to 10 years as Australian aid agencies shift from emergency relief to long-term rehabilitation and reconstruction of the devastated region.

An Age survey of Australia's top six non-government aid agencies has also found their combined administrative costs on the tsunami appeal will soak up $21.2 million - or almost 9 per cent of their total funds raised.

Not use the money for TEN FUCKING YEARS!!!!!

TWENTY ONE MILLION DOLLARS IN FUCKING ADMIN!!!!!

This is beyond a joke..... frown

#29379 - 10 Mar 06 19:51 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Aid agencies 'lied' over tsunami help
Email Print Normal font Large font By Mark Forbes, Jakarta
March 9, 2006

MAJOR aid agencies have acted dishonestly and lied about their lacklustre efforts in Aceh's $7 billion tsunami reconstruction program, according to the program's director.

Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Agency chief Kuntoro Mangkusubroto has made a scathing attack on some charities' reconstruction efforts, singling out CARE International, whose Australian arm is involved in some of the larger rebuilding efforts in Aceh.

Dr Kuntoro told The Age that agencies had until June this year to lift their performance or he would order them out of Aceh by June next year.

"Last year CARE pledged many houses but they keep reducing the number. They have come down to a third or a quarter of what they promised."

CARE International's Australian director, Robert Glasser, said he was "floored" by the criticism. CARE was seeking an urgent meeting with Dr Kuntoro.

"We take this very seriously and we are committed to doing a first-class job in Aceh," Mr Glasser said. "Either there is some confusion or he has seen something we haven't been alerted to."

CARE has 1054 houses at various stages of construction. None have been completed.

Dr Kuntoro said some larger organisations had lied to their donors and the public about their progress and were beset by high overheads or divided by internal problems.

"One agency took pictures claiming they had built 100 houses, but they just built two houses," he said. "I am very disappointed with the unprofessionalism of some agencies. In some areas they have built houses without water or toilets."

Some organisations planned to still be building houses in 2008, which was unacceptable. Dr Kuntoro said 120,000 homes were required to replace those destroyed by the December 2004 tsunami, but fewer than 20,000 had been built so far.

Dr Kuntoro said he was surveying all aid agencies to measure their performances against their pledges.

"We are so proud of projects and groups like the Salvation Army, for example, but when it comes to bigger organisations I am sad to say they're not as effective," he said in another interview with The Jakarta Post newspaper. "They have too many overheads and I believe too many internal governance problems and I feel it is my duty to communicate that."

Any agencies that failed to deliver on their commitments by the middle of next year would be required to leave.

"The consequences are severe, but I want to send a signal that we are serious here and this is not business as usual. People have to work fast in these projects and I'm really serious about that," he said.

After assuming control of reconstruction efforts last May, Dr Kuntoro conceded the pace of rebuilding was too slow and too many refugees were housed inadequately or remained in squalid tent camps. Promises made in December to move everyone out of the camps this month have now been pushed back by several months.

He also criticised the pace of the United Nations Habitat rebuilding program. Project head Ian Hamilton said there had been initial building delays.

Dr Kuntoro's comments follow aid watchdog Aidwatch's criticism of reconstruction under Australia's $1 billion effort, which alleged lack of consultation, poor design of new houses and corruption.

#29380 - 10 Mar 06 19:52 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Allow me to highlight one sentence:

"CARE has 1054 houses at various stages of construction. None have been completed."

All that money....

All that rehetoric....

one thousand houses, NOT ONE COMPLETED!!!!!

#29381 - 10 Mar 06 20:06 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
PB, thanks for your concern, I really don't know this until u bring up, so much living in the jungle.
I feel so sad and sorry for the tsunami victims, how their suffering taken advantages by those bastards!

#29382 - 11 Mar 06 18:19 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Happy Camper Offline

Loc: Jakarta
Hey Polar Bear, You talk the talk but do you actually walk the walk. Considering the many ways expat people go about making their living here in Jakarta, exactly what do you and/or your company do to make your money that you can guarantee no one down the line or up the line gets hurt in any way, shape of form?

#29383 - 11 Mar 06 19:07 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I make bugger all out of Jakarta! I have a share in a joint venture implementing IT projects.

I might make a dollar or two in 5-6 years time. Amount paid to me from Indonesia = $0 (and I can prove it). I keep pouring money and effort in, and I dont mean pouring money into Blok M, I mean buying laptops for my local developers, spending my money trying to secure them contracts, buying a fucking 64 bit Sun Entreprise server, paying my travel and hotel bills etc.

I am currently working on a contract in Sydney so that I can keep going. To try to stay on top I am looking at overseas IT contracts - Saudi, Dubai, and the bloody Central Highlands of PNG.

Does anyone get hurt in any way shape or form from my efforts? Possibly, but not in any way that I know about. I am not in that business....

And yes`I have shagged my share of girls in jakarta. And yes i have paid them for the pleasure.

but i dont rip people off....

#29384 - 11 Mar 06 19:20 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

But i tell you what I don’t do:

I don’t earn $50,000 a month like Bill Nicol does for "advising the Indonesian Government authority overseeing reconstruction in Ache".

WHAT THE FUCK IS HE ADVISING THEM ON?

I don’t earn $50,000 a month like Andrew Whillas does for providing "technical advice" to the Australia Indonesia Partnership for Reconstruction and Development!

WHAT FUCKING TECHNICAL ADVICE?

Rocket scientists don’t earn that kind of money for "technical advice!!!!!!

And these two wankers are getting the Australian Humanitarian Overseas Service Medal for living in a 5 star hotel in Jakarta!!!!!!

This is simply “jobs for the boys” and “Gravy Train” at work. Their lack of competence is obvious given the pisspoor results so far.

I wrote and complained to several aid agencies two months ago. Guess what? Not a single reply………. ASSHOLES!

#29385 - 11 Mar 06 21:22 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i handle many visas for bules going to aceh ... generally, they are not an impressive bunch, especially those from the christian charity organisations.

tio be fair, however, the majority of the blame for the current situation in aceh should be shafted to the indonesian government and bureaucracy. you would not believe the impediments they put in the way of organisations trying to do anything useful in aceh. amazingly unbelievable stupidity.

#29386 - 11 Mar 06 21:36 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

But this is the point - these wankers are supposed to be the experts at sorting out the bureaucracy. That is what they get $50K a month for.

as we both know, $50K goes a long way in Jakarta. it buys a lot of time....

If they had sorted the mess out within 6 months I wouldnt complain so bitterly, but these bastards took the money and STILL havent delivered.

#29387 - 11 Mar 06 21:41 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
well, then we shouldn't be paying *any* perfumed high-flyers until the vested interests in aceh -- TNI, GAM, BRR, bureaucrats in immigration, foreign affairs, finance, state security, state secretariat -- decide that they are all on the same side.

until the indonesians sort themselves out, everybody is virtually pissing in the wind.

#29388 - 11 Mar 06 21:47 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

and Ache DOESNT need Bules. any more fucking "experts" out there and the bloody island will sink. It needs basic necessities. Food, clean water, tools and equipment, and it needs materials.

these could/should be supplied locally, but aid being foriegn policy by another name, everything is done to keep the maximim value in Australia.

And on top of everything else the "Loonie Greenies" are involved, "studying" fauna and flora, ensuring that no trees are cut down!!!

The people can live in tents for years, but the trees get counted and have to be left untouched....

Its a stupid world......

#29389 - 11 Mar 06 21:54 Re: I am ashamed to be an Australian
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
All of the above posted at many websites with zero response.
Banda Acheh was worst hit,mnow it is being hit again!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop