Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113451 - 29 Nov 10 15:35 WikiLeaks!!
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Do you support the release of secret U.S. diplomatic correspondence by WikiLeaks?
msnbc.com - Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:39 PM EST
The White House has condemned the release of thousands of sensitive secret embassy documents as "reckless and dangerous," while WikiLeaks says the release is justified as it sheds a light on the "contradictions between the U.S. public persona and what it says behind closed doors."
http://msnbc.newsvine.com/_question/2010...ce-by-wikileaks

I do not support the release! wikileaks needs to be stopped! it's extremely dangerous for everybody.

#113452 - 29 Nov 10 16:03 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: juminten]
Kitty Offline
Member+++

Loc: Surabaya
WikiLeaks; it's reminding me with Julian Assange the founder of WikiLeaks..

when he got an interview with Atika Shubert from CNN, he walked out because he thought Atika tried to "touching" his personal life! so I said at that time; "he's too sensitive"

well, talking about WikiLeaks..I really don't care! LOL!!

#113455 - 29 Nov 10 17:14 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: Kitty]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
let it all hang out, baby. that's what i always say ...

#113458 - 29 Nov 10 20:44 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Vulgarian Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
It's a beautiful thing.

I am watching this story with great interest.

#113460 - 30 Nov 10 03:02 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: Vulgarian]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Assange is a rapist!

* Assange is an Australian who spends much of his time in Sweden. Earlier this year, he was accused of sexual misconduct by TWO Swedish women. Swedish prosecutors opened, then dropped, then re-opened an investigation into the allegations. Sweden has authorized a warrant for his arrest on suspicion of "rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion." But Assange has not been formally charged with any crime in Sweden, and he has denied all the accusations.

* Sweden's media laws are among the world's most protective for journalists. In addition, Sweden's Pirate Party, which advocates reform of copyright law, has agreed to host WikiLeaks' servers, giving it additional legal protection.

#113461 - 30 Nov 10 07:55 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: juminten]
Vulgarian Offline
Pujangga

Playing the man, not the ball, jum, and assuming guilt based on accusation only? Tsk, tsk. How disappointing.

But ok, let's assume for a moment that the allegation is true. In what way does this colour your view of wikileaks? How is it relevant to the issues of secrecy and government immunity that the release of these documents brings up?

The only media outlet I know that has been pushing the Assange-as-rapist angle strongly is, gulp, Fox News. Jum, you haven't been taking Bill-O as gospel on this have you?

#113462 - 30 Nov 10 09:11 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: Vulgarian]
Pooh Bah

yes, the charges did seem to be just a little too convenient. for the time being, best to take them with a grain of salt.

#113463 - 30 Nov 10 09:34 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: Vulgarian]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Vulgarian
The only media outlet I know that has been pushing the Assange-as-rapist angle strongly is, gulp, Fox News.

this is an all-australian contest: murdoch versus assange, adelaide vs melbourne.

#113476 - 30 Nov 10 15:26 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: Vulgarian]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Playing the man, not the ball, jum, and assuming guilt based on accusation only? Tsk, tsk. How disappointing.

But ok, let's assume for a moment that the allegation is true. In what way does this colour your view of wikileaks? How is it relevant to the issues of secrecy and government immunity that the release of these documents brings up?

The only media outlet I know that has been pushing the Assange-as-rapist angle strongly is, gulp, Fox News. Jum, you haven't been taking Bill-O as gospel on this have you?

first, luckily i'm not a fan of Fox News nor Mr.O

the guy's a creepy egomaniac with questionable morals who likes puff himself up be getting the better of people and exposing them. he leaks indiscriminately, including documents of no real value (like sorority secrets) because it gets him attention, power, and gives him a thrill. all the public good stuff is just rubbish, he doesn't really care, it's all about him and his ego. you obviously have to have some twisted morals to want to rape someone and ego and power are a big part of it. it's as much about exerting your will on another as the sexual gratification. so it would be an indicator that indeed his work on wikileaks was for self centered reasons. I believe his work is valuable, necessary and good thing for society as long as not putting many lives at risk! by releasing the sensitive documents that contains of many informants around the world is irresponsible and plain wrong.

#113478 - 30 Nov 10 16:08 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: juminten]
Vulgarian Offline
Pujangga

Phew. Good to hear re: Faux News, although you're still assuming he's guilty without proof and then projecting all sorts of psychological nastiness onto him.

Quoting: juminten
I believe his work is valuable, necessary and good thing for society as long as not putting many lives at risk! by releasing the sensitive documents that contains of many informants around the world is irresponsible and plain wrong.

Ah. But no one has: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/11/28/104404/officials-may-be-overstating-the.html

Quote:
"We have yet to see any harm come to anyone in Afghanistan that we can directly tie to exposure in the WikiLeaks documents," (Pentagon Spokesman) Morrell told the Washington Post on Aug 11. But "there is in all likelihood a lag between exposure of these documents and jeopardy in the field."

This is just the desperate howl of those who know or fear that their grubby little dealings are about to be exposed.

Edited by Vulgarian (30 Nov 10 16:21)
Edit Reason: added quote

#113479 - 30 Nov 10 23:45 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: Vulgarian]
moosad Offline

Loc: jkta
Wikkileaks....ha ha...for the stupid, brainless poms and yanks (goys/bules). It was all well planned and perfectly executed by the ones who own the media!

#113480 - 01 Dec 10 05:16 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: moosad]
Vulgarian Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: moosad
It was all well planned and perfectly executed by the ones who own the media!

The Aussies? Bastards.

Thanks for lifting the veil, moosad.

#113482 - 01 Dec 10 12:44 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: Vulgarian]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Phew. Good to hear re: Faux News, although you're still assuming he's guilty without proof and then projecting all sorts of psychological nastiness onto him.

innocent until proven guilty? that might depend on your celebrity status. Assange is a celebrity now. ask his supporters they say he's a hero, he didn't rape TWO women. remember OJ Simpson? do you believe he didn't kill his ex-wife Nicole Brown & Ron Goldman?

bottom line, he stole something that did not belong to him, he accepted stolen intellectual property, and that is immoral and wrong, It makes no difference what country. what if there were several wars generated from these document's contents? would Assange feel proud of himself?

#113483 - 01 Dec 10 15:04 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: juminten]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

NYT, November 29, 2010
The Fragile Community
By DAVID BROOKS

Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, had moved 37 times by the time he reached his 14th birthday. His mother didn’t enroll him in the local schools because, as Raffi Khatchadourian wrote in a New Yorker profile, she feared “that formal education would inculcate an unhealthy respect for authority.”

She needn’t have worried. As a young computer hacker, he formed a group called International Subversives. As an adult, he wrote “Conspiracy as Governance,” a pseudo-intellectual online diatribe. He talks of vast “patronage networks” that constrain the human spirit.

Far from respecting authority, Assange seems to be an old-fashioned anarchist who believes that all ruling institutions are corrupt and public pronouncements are lies.

For someone with his mind-set, the decision to expose secrets is easy. If the hidden world is suspect, then everything should be revealed. As The New Yorker reported, WikiLeaks has published technical details about an Army device designed to prevent roadside bombs from detonating. It posted soldiers’ Social Security numbers. This week, the group celebrated the release of internal State Department documents with a triumphalist statement claiming that the documents expose the corruption, hypocrisy and venality of U.S. diplomats.

For him, it’s easy. But for everyone else, it’s hard. My colleagues on the news side of this newspaper do not share Assange’s mentality. As the various statements from the editors have made abundantly clear, they face a much thornier set of issues.

As journalists, they have a professional obligation to share information that might help people make informed decisions. That means asking questions like: How does the U.S. government lobby allies? What is the real nature of our relationship with Pakistani intelligence? At the same time, as humans and citizens, my colleagues know they have a moral obligation not to endanger lives or national security.

The Times has thus erected a series of filters between the 250,000 raw documents that WikiLeaks obtained and complete public exposure. The paper has released only a tiny percentage of the cables. Information that might endanger informants has been redacted. Specific cables have been put into context with broader reporting.

Yet it might be useful to consider one more filter. Consider it the World Order filter. The fact that we live our lives amid order and not chaos is the great achievement of civilization. This order should not be taken for granted.

This order is tenuously maintained by brave soldiers but also by talkative leaders and diplomats. Every second of every day, leaders and diplomats are engaged in a never-ending conversation. The leaked cables reveal this conversation. They show diplomats seeking information, cajoling each other and engaging in faux-friendships and petty hypocrisies as they seek to avoid global disasters.

Despite the imaginings of people like Assange, the conversation revealed in the cables is not devious and nefarious. The private conversation is similar to the public conversation, except maybe more admirable. Israeli and Arab diplomats can be seen reacting sympathetically and realistically toward one another. The Americans in the cables are generally savvy and honest. Iran’s neighbors are properly alarmed and reaching out.

Some people argue that this diplomatic conversation is based on mechanical calculations about national self-interest, and it won’t be affected by public exposure. But this conversation, like all conversations, is built on relationships. The quality of the conversation is determined by the level of trust. Its direction is influenced by persuasion and by feelings about friends and enemies.

The quality of the conversation is damaged by exposure, just as our relationships with our neighbors would be damaged if every private assessment were brought to the light of day. We’ve seen what happens when conversations deteriorate (look at the U.S. Congress), and it’s ugly.

The WikiLeaks dump will probably damage the global conversation. Nations will be less likely to share with the United States. Agencies will be tempted to return to the pre-9/11 silos. World leaders will get their back up when they read what is said about them. Cooperation against Iran may be harder to maintain because Arab leaders feel exposed and boxed in. This fragile international conversation is under threat. It’s under threat from WikiLeaks. It’s under threat from a Gresham’s Law effect, in which the level of public exposure is determined by the biggest leaker and the biggest traitor.

It should be possible to erect a filter that protects not only lives and operations but also international relationships. It should be possible to do articles on specific revelations — Is the U.S. using diplomats to spy on the U.N.? What missile technology did North Korea give to Iran? — without unveiling in a wholesale manner the nuts and bolts of the diplomatic enterprise. We depend on those human conversations for the limited order we enjoy every day.

#113484 - 02 Dec 10 10:01 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: juminten]
Pooh Bah

here's a conversion from FB, suitably "redacted":

Julian Assange is a ball and cock gobbler.

KJ Yeah I agree, he sucks
4 hours ago
o
AH or is he a hero for demonstrating just how fucked up and pointless governments are? Mind you I suppose you can be a hero and gobble ball and cock on the side. God knows how he finds time to rape anybody.
3 hours ago
o
RR One must always make time for a bit of rape and pillage!
3 hours ago
o
JJ He's no hero. He's a self-obsessed little shit who's reasons for releasing classified documents make no sense. He's done it for the recognition and nothing else, and what's more, he's directly put Afghans at risk who were named in certain documents. So much for his heart bleeding for the Afghan people.
2 hours ago
o
KJ I would say the ideals behind Wikileaks was great. However, when all you want to do is publish secrets with out redacting names, then you no longer deserve said recognition.
2 hours ago
o
AH personally I am more interested in seeing what comes out of the Jakarta embassy
2 hours ago
o
KJ Did you see that article I threw up on my page earlier about the Tea party wanting to bring back landed aristocracy?
2 hours ago
o
RMZ Guy has monster balls releasing all that information. Good thing their servers were shut down today. His bounty is out, huh?
2 hours ago
o
KKKC Assange iz da man!! kuku

i note the USAmerican media continues to report the leaks. but i guess that's different, isn't it?
about an hour ago
o
JJ
USAmerican media? No mention of the UK's Guardian? Nice try, but try again.

It's all about motive, KKKC. Assange is giving classified information to the media to form a name for himself claiming to be some crusader, while at the same time..., putting at great risk certian Afghans and Iraqis he claims to be fighting for. The man's a monomanical, solopsistic prick. What's more, the news media can actually hide behing the freedom of the press. Assange cannot. Assange is soon very likely to be 'da man' for a long time in a cozy US Federal prison.See more
about an hour ago
o
KKKC
i didn't say he wasn't an egomanic. wink but then, name a politician who isn't?

as to the hysteria about people's lives being lost, well, yes. i'm certain that peoples lives will be lost. that's life i guess. the lives lost will be nothing co...mpared to the US brokered war on iraq and other places.

and the US news media? are they somehow exempt from this hysteria? i think not! they are no better or worse than Assange for all their self-righteous chest thumping. free speech is not the preserve of news media organisations.See more
about an hour ago
o
AH where his ball and cock gobbling skills will come in handy?
about an hour ago
o
KKKC ‎@AH, i think he will be dead before he gets anywhere near the US. and unless he's kidnapped, i can't see any legal reason for a country to agree to his extradition to the US.
about an hour ago
o
KJ If you are going to argue about something I would suggest you avoid logical fallacies. If you suggest that American war policies are more harmful than what Assange has done then you are using either an appeal to authority or appeal to emotion and a genetic fallacy. All distract from the act of what he has done to those that provided intelligence to NATO forces.
about an hour ago
o
KKKC i hereby officially assert: American war policies are more harmful than what Assange has done.
about an hour ago
o
JJ
‎@ KKKC: Regarding the news media being exempt. Actually, they ARE exempt. Legal precedent exists from the Pentagon papers released to various newspapers. The Supreme Court ruled that this is actually news, and is hence protected when th...e press releases them as news. Assange is not the press, and he's not registered member of the press in any country. He is therefore not exempted from prosecution by way of press freedom.

Now, onto your comments regarding lives lost not being comparable to the lives lost due to the US brokered war in Iraq. Is his releasing of various classified documents going to (A) bring those lost lives back, or (B) reduce the number of lives that will unfortunately be lost in the future in Iraq? The answer is a resounding NO on both counts, and as such, your mentioning this particular is pointless and perhaps even obfuscation. It simply underscores that his reasons for releasing the so called 'War Diary' information on his website are nothing but a smokescreen. If the man cared so much about Iraqis and Afghans, he wouldn't be releasing documents which name those of them who cooperate with coalition troops, some of which by the way are from your native country.See more
55 minutes ago
o
KKKC
‎1) that's a very legalistic and possibly US-centric view of freedom of speech. i doubt it would be accepted in most democratic countries.

2) you either have freedom, or you don't. there's no halfway house. and the consequences of freedom ca...n sometimes be fatal. that's the price of freedom, i guess.

this whole issue is more about US govt diplomatic embarrassment than any issue relating to security.

ironically, thus far, i think the US state has come out this pretty well. their assessments of people and issues seem fair and accurate, and have reflected the need for the US to understand the diplomatic imperatives of other nations.See more
43 minutes ago
o
JJ
‎1) I hope you're not forgetting that many foreign governments are hopping mad at the moment, and not at US personnel abroad for fulfilling their duties by reporting real intelligence back to our lawmakers by way of cables, but at Assange ...for releasing them to the press which, again, have every legal right to publish them. Why do you think he did this? It wasn't an accident. As such, I don't really see many foreign governments having any problem with allowing the US to extradite him.

2) Ever heard the saying, "Your rights end where mine begin?" I disagree wholeheartedly. Where does absolute freedom stop? Can I knowingly release your name to enemies of yours who want you dead and then myself be free of any responsibility for your death when it comes about at your enemies' hands? Is that what freedom is? Frankly, I think that Assange is such a sociopathic and egotistical person that he truly didn't think of the consequences of what he is doing.

3) It is my very strong opinion that if the USG does not seek and prosecute Assange to the fullest extent, then we ourselves are setting a very dangerous precedent for others to release information they may come to possess in the future.See more
27 minutes ago
o
KKKC
‎1) there is no doubt that releasing the documents is extremely embarrassing to the US only because it's sources of information have been exposed. sources will now be far more reluctant to be frank and open with US officials. this is unfo...rtunate, but that's life. governments worldwide will have to get used to the idea of being accountable and transparent.

2) assange is an attention seeking egomaniac. this is not really an issue. if egomania was a crime, half the US population would be in gaol. wink does he care that people will die? i don't think so. but then, how many people in the West really care about the 250,000 iraqis who died in the Iraq II war? i know i don't. i know that i would have much preferred that they didn't die compeltely unneccessarily.

3) the US state must attempt to do *something* in order to salvage some credibiility and to assure its sources of information that they will not be revealed. that is the only imperative at the moment. the morality arguments are just side-shows.See more
15 minutes ago
o
JJ
‎1) I agree partially in that it is also unfortunate for Assange in that he is going to be dealing with some extremely negative repercussions, all of which I hope are very public and legal. As you said, that's life. I do not agree, howeve...r, that governments should be transparent. Simply put, some secrets should remain secrets. This is not just true for my government, but for yours and others as well.

2) *Correction*: If half of the US population were egomaniacs **who also illegally leaked classified government documents**, I think you meant to say. Egomania is not a crime, although it is decidedly unattractive.

3) I agree, and that something should be legal, public and as harsh as the law will allow.

#113494 - 02 Dec 10 16:10 Re: WikiLeaks!! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

julian assange is an open-source linux programer. here's the documentation of a little program he wrote a few years ago:

SURFRAW(1) SURFRAW(1)

NAME
surfraw - a fast unix command line interface to WWW services

SYNOPSIS
surfraw elviname [options] search words ...
sr elviname [options] search words ...
sr -elvi
sr bookmark

DESCRIPTION
Surfraw provides a fast unix command line interface to a variety of
popular WWW search engines and other artifacts of power. It reclaims
google, altavista, dejanews, freshmeat, research index, slashdot and
many others from the false‐prophet, pox‐infested heathen lands of html‐
forms, placing these wonders where they belong, deep in unix heartland,
as god loving extensions to the shell.

Surfraw consists of a collection of elvi, each of which knows how to
search a specific web site. To see the list of elvi type: