Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110428 - 14 May 10 23:06 Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off.
bishopslips Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta

Indonesian police say they foiled plot to kill president and take over state

Police chief says militants planned to assassinate officials, kill foreigners in Mumbai-style attacks and set up Islamic state

Indonesian police said today they had foiled a plot to assassinate the president and other top officials, massacre foreigners in Mumbai-style attacks and declare an Islamic state.

The attackers planned to launch their assault during this year's independence day ceremony to be attended by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and the country's top dignitaries on 17 August, the national police chief, General Bambang Hendarso Danuri, said.

They also planned to target the US president, Barack Obama, who is scheduled to visit the country later this year, he said.

The plot was uncovered during the interrogation of dozens of suspects arrested following a raid in February on a terrorist training camp in the western province of Aceh, Danuri said.

"They were confident that all state officials and dignitaries would be there," Danuri said. "Killing all the state officials would have accelerated the transition from a democracy to a state controlled by Islamic sharia law."

Some of the most recent information on the plot came from raids this week on militant hideouts in and around the capital that yielded 20 arrests as well as assault rifles, ammunition, telescopes and jihadist literature. Five suspected militants were killed in those raids.

Most of those arrested were believed to have trained at the Aceh camp, run by a group called al-Qaida in Aceh, a new splinter of Jemaah Islamiyah.

"If we had not detected them and their military training had been successful, then they would have assassinated foreigners as well as police and military posts in Aceh," Danuri said.

"Their plan was also to launch attacks in Jakarta against foreigners, especially Americans, and attack and control hotels within certain communities, imitating what happened in Mumbai," he said.

In November 2008, a group of young Pakistanis attacked luxury hotels, a Jewish centre and a busy train station in India's financial capital, claiming the lives of 166 people.

Indonesia, which has the world's largest Muslim population, stipulates religious freedom (err, no it doesn't) in its constitution. The country has been engaged in a long battle against militant groups.

#110430 - 15 May 10 03:11 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: bishopslips]
CCmore Offline

Loc: everywhere
This is precisely what we will be doing! Puts the wind up us scumbags eh?....yanks, poms and all the freeloaders & easyriders!! its coming....beware of your shadows!

#110431 - 15 May 10 06:31 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: CCmore]
Polisi Cepek Offline
Member*

Loc: Di tengah hutan
Bishop S, the whole point of this affair is that the Acehnese wanted no part of it, and when they figured out what was happening on their turf, they promptly shopped the conspirators to the police, and indeed joined in the assault on their camp. So I call no fair on your slanderous thread title.

#110434 - 15 May 10 08:56 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: Polisi Cepek]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
pc, my thoughts exactly. nearly all the musloids doing terrorist training in aceh were actually from java! they probably assumed that acehnese would come out in support of them just because of the reputation aceh has for being "more mulslim" than the rest of muslim indonesia.

#110446 - 15 May 10 18:05 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Om Pong Offline
Member*

Loc: Blok M
...and by the same token the West has declared war on Iraq and Afghanistan when the 9/11 bombers were from Saudi. Massive elephant in the room on that one.

#110448 - 15 May 10 21:10 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: Om Pong]
bishopslips Offline
Member++

Point taken. And I'm sure the vast majority of people in Aceh are lovely folk. However, the fact remains they have some pretty dodgy laws up there which help encourage this perception and attract these types. To my mind they've only got themselves to blame.

PS My title was certainly a bit harsh. I must have been having a bad day.

#110449 - 16 May 10 07:57 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: bishopslips]
Polisi Cepek Offline
Member*

Loc: Di tengah hutan
Good god, how very unjackchat, to politely admit one may have been wrong! Well said.

Quoting: bishopslips
Point taken. And I'm sure the vast majority of people in Aceh are lovely folk. However, the fact remains they have some pretty dodgy laws up there which help encourage this perception and attract these types. To my mind they've only got themselves to blame.

PS My title was certainly a bit harsh. I must have been having a bad day.

#110450 - 16 May 10 09:42 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: Polisi Cepek]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Polisi Cepek
Good god, how very unjackchat, to politely admit one may have been wrong!

indeed. most embarrassing. i had to avert my eyes. i didn't know where to look.

#110451 - 16 May 10 09:48 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: Om Pong]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Om Pong
...and by the same token the West has declared war on Iraq and Afghanistan when the 9/11 bombers were from Saudi. Massive elephant in the room on that one.

it could be argued that the heart of the current musloid terrorist problem is saudi wahabi islam, claiming itself to be the "pure" islam superior to all other variants. of course, Abu Bakar Baasyir's ngruki school is wahabiist, as is al-Qaida.

so yes, it would make more sense to attack saudi than iraq, afganistan and pakistan.

#110469 - 16 May 10 17:39 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
bishopslips Offline
Member++

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
Quoting: Polisi Cepek
Good god, how very unjackchat, to politely admit one may have been wrong!

indeed. most embarrassing. i had to avert my eyes. i didn't know where to look.

You're right. Sorry for apologizing. It won't happen again.

#110470 - 16 May 10 18:32 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: bishopslips]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jak
You pathetic specimen. You make me sick, you wriggly little worm. Get on your knees. donna

#111584 - 07 Jul 10 16:31 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: Marmalade]
adelina Offline
Member*

Loc: in your heart
aceh? maybe it needs to be re-newed again by the tsunami...

#112002 - 11 Aug 10 15:35 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: adelina]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Nasty.

#112004 - 11 Aug 10 15:46 Re: Another reason why Aceh should be told to fuck right off. [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

cold as steel, is our adelina. batak. say no more.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop