Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111817 - 28 Jul 10 08:49 You view on the English language!
Andri Offline

Loc: Arkansas, USA
Hey, I'm a new comer in this forum, but I would like to bring up an interesting yet simple topic that I need everybody's opinion on. So, please jump in!

A lot of Indonesians stay away from English. Some of you guys are not afraid of speaking it, regardless your English skill. Some see English as the "ultimate" language, that every human being has to speak. You are seen as less smart if you don't speak the language. you may see English and who ever that speaks the language as more prestigous and "cool" than you are.
I'd like to invite everybody to come and share their thoughts about the topic. What is your view on the English language? I'd really appreciate it if you could, please, BE HONEST about it!

#111819 - 28 Jul 10 10:17 Re: You view on the English language! [Re: Andri]
Donna_D Offline
Member+++

Loc: J-town
I don't think English is THE ultimate language, you overrated it! laugh

#111820 - 28 Jul 10 12:31 Re: You view on the English language! [Re: Donna_D]
Andri Offline

Hey donna, thx for your reply. I'd like to make something clear though, nobody has rated anything here. U r free to be the first smile it was simply a question. U may want to elaborate on your view whenever you have time. Thx and peace out!

#111821 - 28 Jul 10 13:03 Re: You view on the English language! [Re: Andri]
v8dave Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta Selatan
I don't see it as the ultimate language, more the standard langauge. Most countries in the world teach it and it is recognised as the international langauge in aviation and maritime for instance. It just makes sense in this current time frame to have a universal language seeing as we are all doing business around the world now and no longer just in our own country! Even with English as the language of the UK for instance, parts of the country find it hard to understand other parts! smile

#111825 - 28 Jul 10 21:10 Re: You view on the English language! [Re: v8dave]
Andri Offline

English as an international language? then What do you think about Indonesians, as citizen or the world, that walk around speaking English. And you talked a bit about accents at the end of your post v8dave, that's another interesting topic that i'd like to get y'all's opinions on after this topic.

Moderator:  NetCop