Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107194 - 20 Dec 09 17:36 where have all the expats gone if the Romance Bar is closed?
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
someone on fesbuk asked me this:

where have all the expats gone if the Romance Bar is closed...have they left Jalan Jaksa for ever or is there a new favourite watering hole where they go??? I will be in Jakarta in January for a week...where do they all drink now please?

jaksa is indeed going through a transition at the moment. where exactly it's going to end up, i'm not really sure yet.

although Romance has closed, this is not the end of the jaksa world; Memories is going strong, as is the KL Warung next door (ok, no alcohol, but they allow you to bring your own from Memories).

the redoubtable Alis Bar still hobbles along, recently decked out with a new slogan on the front door: "Obama's Fans Club". ok, no "expat" would be seen dead there, unless they were a newbie in town.

(as an aside, oh how i detest that word expat ...)

across the road, Betawi Bar seems to be a tad livlier these days. just today i spotted a well-known bule newspaper editor drinking there. perhaps he's trying to start a trend. or perhaps he's hiding from his wife. (broomsticks to the head smarts!)

on the obama theme, the Obama Bar and Restaurant (where the former Ya Udah was located, mentioned in another message in this forum) is *still* unopen, and shall probably remain that way for some time due to, i am guessing, liquor licencing problems. i just can't see the police giving a licence to nigerian drug smugglers.

up the other end of the street, Absolute Cafe is still going strong; decent eats, friendly crowd, bad service.

across the road the Jaksa Pool place is getting (yet another) renovation; might be a few weeks before it's open.

jaksa dead? no, not yet.

but the bule drinking centre of gravity seems to have moved to Kemang and other places in the Deep South, eg, Eastern Promise. but they are pretty characterless, in my humble opinion. and kemang? for goodness sake ...

#107196 - 20 Dec 09 17:51 Re: where have all the expats gone if the Romance Bar is closed? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

oh, forgot to mention, Cocktail'n'Friends, right across the road from Okusi Towers. how could i have ommited them? easy really. crass place, appalling service, arrogant owners, bad overpriced food. seems to service chinese wanna-be jet setters and bule tourists who don't know any better.

#107198 - 20 Dec 09 22:50 Re: where have all the expats gone if the Romance Bar is closed? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Om Pong Offline
Member*

Loc: Blok M
and Melly's. Nothing'll ever top the 'Mance though.

#107202 - 21 Dec 09 06:42 Re: where have all the expats gone if the Romance Bar is closed? [Re: Om Pong]
Pooh Bah

melly's? well, that's not really in jaksa, despite its jaksa pedigree (in its former incarnation as BFC).

melly's certainly has a little character. if you consider character to mean grimy furniture and poor food. the dozens of callow youth wanna-be rock stars who loiter outside the place are a bit of a put-off. i mean, who wants to push their way through a forest of halo-meesters?

ultimately, i think, places like Romance are created by the people who frequent them. sure, having a cool proprietor is a good start, but the created community is just a sum total of the people who go there. thus the 'success' of Romance was largely self-fulfilling.

#107307 - 26 Dec 09 16:06 Re: where have all the expats gone if the Romance Bar is closed? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Sammy Jankis Offline
Member+++

Loc: Manila, Philippines
where have all the expats gone if the Romance Bar is closed...have they left Jalan Jaksa for ever or is there a new favourite watering hole where they go??? I will be in Jakarta in January for a week...where do they all drink now please?

South Africa and the Philippines. Jakarta without the 'Mance is a Jakarta I don't want to live in.
http://thehateproject.blogspot.com

#107329 - 27 Dec 09 02:33 Re: where have all the expats gone if the Romance Bar is closed? [Re: Sammy Jankis]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I drink at home. Alone.

I went to Jaksa last Saturday and that's it for me. There aren't even any Papuans anymore.

Time to join the gym and sit in the corner.

#107333 - 27 Dec 09 07:59 Re: where have all the expats gone if the Romance Bar is closed? [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Piss Salon
Time to join the gym and sit in the corner.

oh please god, tell me it isn't so ... piss has become Mature.

Moderator:  NetCop