Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100956 - 06 Jun 09 21:20 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections?
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
'Jilbab' a selling point in Jakarta elections?
2009/06/04
By Amy Chew
New Straits Times

The jilbab or headscarf has become an issue in Indonesia’s presidential polls, slated for July 8. Some quarters think followers are more inclined to vote for candidates whose wives are veiled. However, it has little or no bearing on some supporters, writes AMY CHEW.

THE jilbab or headscarf, the symbol of a Muslim woman's modesty, has become a factor in Indonesia's presidential polls, scheduled for July 8. Last week, the Islamist Justice and Prosperity Party (PKS) declared that its followers were more inclined to vote for candidates whose wives were veiled.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, known by his initials SBY, is running for a second term with former central bank governor Boediono as his running mate. Neither of their wives wear the jilbab.

"Despite our official allegiance to the Democratic Party to support President SBY and his running mate Boediono during the election," PKS deputy secretary-general Zulkieflimansyah was quoted as saying by Jakarta Post, "our internal party survey shows the popularity of Kalla-Wiranto duet has been increasing due to their wives wearing the jilbab."

Susilo, who is with the Democratic Party (PD), will be facing two pairs of contenders.

One is led by vice-president Jusuf Kalla, who has teamed up with former armed forces chief Wiranto. Both their wives wear the headscarf.

The other is former president Megawati Sukarnoputri and her running mate, Prabowo Subianto, a son-in-law of the late president Suharto. Megawati, daughter of the country's founding father Sukarno, does not wear the jilbab.

It shouldn't matter, say some. "The issue that the jilbab matters is untrue and a manipulation of Muslims by PKS for its own political interests," declares Ahmad Suaedy, a Muslim intellectual and executive director of the Wahid Institute.

"There are many faces of Islam in Indonesia. You have the face of Islam in the mall, in traditional markets, in the villages, in the cities and in the jungles -- they don't care about the jilbab."

Suaedy noted that Kalla is not using his wife's veil as a selling point for his candidacy, as he is a nationalist.

"If Kalla were to use the jilbab to lure voters, he will not get much support," he says.

"Kalla has been far more firm than Susilo in dealing with religious radicals."

During April's parliamentary elections, nationalist and secular parties won more than 60 per cent of the vote. Susilo's PD garnered 20 per cent of the votes to win the election. By contrast, PKS polled 7.88 per cent of the votes, a marginal increase from 7.5 per cent in 2004.

The jilbab issue appears to have little or no bearing on SBY's popularity among his supporters. Instead, it has made them angry.

"I don't care about the jilbab," says 46-year-old chauffeur Agus, a devout Muslim who says his entire family will be voting for Susilo.

"The jilbab does not tell you whether a person is good or bad. For me, what is important is that Pak SBY has a good heart, is sincere and honest."

Agus used to support Megawati but is switching his preference to Susilo because he has felt the positive effects of the government's anti-corruption drive.

"In the past, I had to pay bribes to renew my driver's licence. Now, I just pay the fee to renew my licence."

Local polls have Susilo as a firm favourite to win the July 8 presidential elections on the back of his anti-graft drive, and his success in stabilising the country's economy and alleviating poverty.

"SBY has been the clear winner from the very beginning," said independent political commentator Hasyim Wahid.

Susilo's choice of running mate was a well thought-out exercise, Wahid says.

"SBY picked Boediono after much deliberation, unlike the other two candidates, whose running mates were hastily selected. Circumstances forced them to come together."

Kalla is seen as Susilo's closest rival, as he appeals to segments of the middle class and business community.

"I am going to vote for Jusuf Kalla because he understands business as he comes from a business background," said Dafi Yahya, a 36-year-old businessman.

"He knows what's going on in the world and he knows how to fix the economy. While SBY has knowledge and stabilised the economy, I don't think he can push things any further."

Last week, the influential Indonesian Chamber of Commerce (Kadin) held a dialogue with all three candidates to hear out their economic policies. Susilo pledged to boost economic growth to 7 per cent by 2014; Kalla promised 8 per cent; and Megawati, 10 per cent.

"Kalla has presented more practical ideas, while Susilo seems to be more systematic in elaborating the issues," Kadin member Erwin Aksa was quoted as saying by Jakarta Post.

"As for Megawati, she is only prone to present her ideas to help less fortunate people."

The business community is watching developments anxiously. The country's RM20 billion stimulus package has been passed by Parliament, but its implementation is moving at a snail's pace.

"We are going through a government in transition," says senior Kadin member Sofyan Wanandi. "As a result, the stimulus package cannot be implemented quickly. The longer it takes, the more problems we will have. The people's income will go down, economic growth will go down and unemployment will go up."

#100958 - 06 Jun 09 23:55 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: kenyeung]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Touchy subject. Very.

#101059 - 08 Jun 09 22:26 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: Derek Gratis]
Derek Gratis Offline
Member*

Loc: Proxima Centauri

#101060 - 08 Jun 09 22:28 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: Derek Gratis]
Derek Gratis Offline
Member*

Allaaaaah fap fap fap Akbar!

#101065 - 09 Jun 09 07:06 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: Derek Gratis]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe

#101076 - 09 Jun 09 09:58 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Failure to distinguish between a jilbab and a burqa will only upset the badgers.

#101077 - 09 Jun 09 10:57 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: kenyeung]
Derek Gratis Offline
Member*

Yes I know Ken but the Burka is of far greater comedic value.

#101087 - 09 Jun 09 15:11 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: Derek Gratis]
Derek Gratis Offline
Member*

#101159 - 10 Jun 09 22:20 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: Derek Gratis]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jak
Maybe the candidates would do more good by saying that it is personal choice and not some pre-requisite of Islam. Plus it makes me wanna shag them more coz I like corrupting people.

#102266 - 08 Jul 09 00:09 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: Derek Gratis]
M.Ali E.LAMAN Offline

Loc: Tangerang, BANTEN
Use Jilbab on your head.It doesn't make any difference between you and other.Because jilbab is only for your mind, your soul...

#102268 - 08 Jul 09 02:00 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: M.Ali E.LAMAN]
Vulgarian Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Well, and your head, surely.

#102271 - 08 Jul 09 03:32 Re: 'Jilbab' a selling point in elections? [Re: Vulgarian]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Good point.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop