Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101340 - 18 Jun 09 16:35 Fucking hypocrite
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jak

Belfast Romanians moved to secret location after more attacks
HENRY MCDONALD, IRELAND CORRESPONDENT - Guardian 18/06/09

Racist attacks against Romanians in Northern Ireland have shifted from south to east Belfast, after the bathroom of a Romanian family's home in the Upper Newtonards Road was smashed late last night.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland confirmed they were treating the incident as a "hate crime".
More than 100 Romanians, the majority from the Roma community, are in a secret location under armed police guard today after they were driven from their homes earlier this week. The 20 families said their houses in the south of the city had come under repeated attacks by a racist gang.
The Romanian consul general will meet Northern Ireland's social development minister, Margaret Ritchie, later today to discuss the upsurge in racist attacks on the eastern European imigrants in the city.
Ritchie said the families could stay in the temporary accommodation for at least a week. The location is being kept secret for security reasons.
A majority of the 110 Romanian men, women and children were in such fear that they said they would prefer returning home rather than to stay in Belfast.
Northern Ireland's political establishment visited the eastern Europeans yesterday at a leisure centre in a bid to persuade them to stay and to erase what the city's lord mayor said was a "stain of shame over Belfast".
The Ozone sports arena, which is normally used as a tennis training centre for children, had been transformed into a makeshift home for the Romanians. They spent Tuesday night on the floor of the Belfast City church in the university district, following several days of intimidation directed at 20 Romanian families living off the Lisburn Road, in the south of the city. Last night, the families were taken by coaches to an undisclosed location.
One of the Romanian men called Fernando said he had been injured in the side when rocks and stones smashed through his windows in the early hours of Sunday morning. Fernando said he sought help from Orangefield Presbysterian church by cycling all the way from south to east Belfast, still bleeding from his side. A member of the congregation himself, Fernando asked the church to help him move his family out of the area for good.
Clutching her child, Lucca, a woman who said she was called Perca was one of the last Romanians to arrive at the Ozone centre, shortly after yesterday morning.
Speaking in broken Spanish, Perca said she wanted to leave Northern Ireland as she now felt afraid for herself, her husband and her two children. "I am safer back in Romania even than here," she said.
As she carried her child in one arm and a bundle of clothes in the other, unionist and nationalist politicians were meeting many of the other families inside.
Martin McGuinness, Northern Ireland's deputy first minister, branded their attackers "racist criminals." The Sinn Fein MP stood beside the Democratic Unionist party minister Jeffrey Donaldson to jointly denounce the assaults.
"Jeffrey and I have come together today because we are absolutely outraged and disgusted at what has happened to these innocent people.
"It is a matter of great concern for us that a small, unrepresentative group would attempt to threaten and intimidate a large number of people. We have to ensure that we defeat these people, " McGuinness said.
He added that unionists, nationalists and republicans were united in their opposition to the attacks.
Belfast's new lord mayor, Naomi Long, who also paid a visit to the Romanian families, admitted that the intensification of the racist assaults was portraying the city in a negative light across the world. Long said that one of her major fears was that if the 110 Romanians flee Northern Ireland, the racists would have won.
"It's easy for me in my position to say I want them to stay. I entirely understand that people who have been so traumatised would want to leave. I don't want these people to leave Belfast because of a small minority of people who have brought shame to this city by their actions," she added.

#101341 - 18 Jun 09 16:37 Re: Fucking hypocrite [Re: Marmalade]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

Lest anyone needs a reminder, this is coming from the ex-head of the IRfuckingA!

#101342 - 18 Jun 09 16:49 Re: Fucking hypocrite [Re: Marmalade]
Derek Gratis Offline
Member*

Loc: Proxima Centauri
Pikey on gypo violence ay? You've got to see the irony.

#101343 - 18 Jun 09 16:50 Re: Fucking hypocrite [Re: Marmalade]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
McGuinness. :Snigger:Son of Guinnesssnigger.

Bet there a quite a few of them running around.

#101344 - 18 Jun 09 16:53 Re: Fucking hypocrite [Re: Piss Salon]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

And, ahem, children of Bintang.

#101345 - 18 Jun 09 16:54 Re: Fucking hypocrite [Re: Piss Salon]
Derek Gratis Offline
Member*

McGuinness? That's what you get in a Pikey McDonalds.

#101350 - 18 Jun 09 17:28 Re: Fucking hypocrite [Re: Derek Gratis]
Derek Gratis Offline
Member*

#101352 - 18 Jun 09 17:51 Re: Fucking hypocrite [Re: Derek Gratis]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Clap of Bintang

#101358 - 18 Jun 09 19:17 Re: Fucking hypocrite [Re: Piss Salon]
linnaen Offline
Member++

Loc: Qld, Australia
McGuiness was probably just misrepresented, and what he meant was... "It is a matter of great concern for us that a small, unrepresentative group would attempt to threaten and intimidate a large number of people. We (the small and unrepresentative group) have to ensure that we defeat these people."

#101364 - 18 Jun 09 21:50 Re: Fucking hypocrite [Re: linnaen]
Marmalade Offline
Pujangga

He's a cunt. Debate closed.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop